Headsets for Docking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those that transit the Ballard Locks frequently refer to the wireless headsets as "Marriage Savers"!

Don't see the need for my size (35 feet) of boat when the first mate is less than ten feet away.

Eartec for us for the last 8 years... love them!

We also have found that the phone solution is great. . We cruise the east coast and always seem to have Verizon signal. So a blue tooth headset is all it takes.

We just got the Sena sph10 headphones. We have used them twice now and love them. We can communicate with a normal voice from anywhere on the boat or dock.

This type of communication really helps us accomplish safe, "no shouting" docking. We always know what the other is doing or planning to do.

Once, during a particularly stressful docking situation in Ft. Meyers, per my command, wife had set us for port side tie, which I suddenly changed to starboard at the last minute. Well, due to the radios, she could express her frustration and disappointment to me in conversational tones! We laugh about this now, but not at the time.

As we became more confident we often eschewed radio use coming into our home slip, well, of course, this led to an accident. She suffered a very bad finger injury as I didn't understand the situation. Radios probably would have saved the day.

We use the Eartec Simultalk 24G.

The only issue with them is that they seems to lose their charge pretty fast; otherwise, a very good product.

Last edited:
We used our Sena Bluetooth headsets a lot this trip and they worked really well. When doing a stern tie on shore it was very helpful. Great reception and they can be heard over the outboard. In some of our stern ties the dinghy was quite a ways from the boat.

We used our Sena Bluetooth headsets a lot this trip and they worked really well. When doing a stern tie on shore it was very helpful. Great reception and they can be heard over the outboard. In some of our stern ties the dinghy was quite a ways from the boat.
Help me out here. Is a cell phone required?

Help me out here. Is a cell phone required?

HW you disappoint me. ?

The Sena SPH10 is used a lot by the Harley crowd. To use them as an intercom, you don't need a cell phone. They connect to each other. You can use them with a cell phone for making calls or a Bluetooth music source for listening to music. I have used them with my cell phone to make calls, but the primary use for us has been as an intercom. For this purpose only they are a bit of an overkill, but they work so well for this purpose that I think to cost for us has been well worth it.

HW you disappoint me. ��

The Sena SPH10 is used a lot by the Harley crowd. To use them as an intercom, you don't need a cell phone. They connect to each other. You can use them with a cell phone for making calls or a Bluetooth music source for listening to music. I have used them with my cell phone to make calls, but the primary use for us has been as an intercom. For this purpose only they are a bit of an overkill, but they work so well for this purpose that I think to cost for us has been well worth it.
Lol.
Thought I made myself quite clear in post 432 of another thread; never rode or boated with crowds. Only ever saw mikes on passing Honda couches.

Was curious about the intercom function. Could see a lot of "float tested" phones in my future otherwise.

Lol.
Thought I made myself quite clear in post 432 of another thread; never rode or boated with crowds. Only ever saw mikes on passing Honda couches.

Was curious about the intercom function. Cold see a lot of "float tested" phones in my future otherwise.

Time to get a boat HW. There are a few folks in your area who wouldn't mind you tagging along. You also could come down South and join us for some South Sound exploring.

Time to get a boat HW. There are a few folks in your area who wouldn't mind you tagging along. You also could come down South and join us for some South Sound exploring.
Been all over the South Sound and the two lakes. If and when...will boat here up to May 24 and after Labour Day. Otherwise, beyond the Broughtons.

Now sir, I am a score keeper and since you threw one at me with your disappointment, I owe you one...

How much time you spending looking out the windows?
:rofl:

Been all over the South Sound and the two lakes. If and when...will boat here up to May 24 and after Labour Day. Otherwise, beyond the Broughtons.

Now sir, I am a score keeper and since you threw one at me with your disappointment, I owe you one...

How much time you spending looking out the windows?
:rofl:

My eyes are glued to the outside. If I were to fail to spot any whales and not tell my wife, she would throw me overboard.?

My eyes are glued to the outside. If I were to fail to spot any whales and not tell my wife, she would throw me overboard.��
Are you right up there with B & B then where you just talk at that thing and it posts to TF for you?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom