Ads on TF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

THD

Guru
Over the last week or so, when clicking on various site links, I get an ad page for Alibaba or whatever. Since the first time it happened, I have paid close attention to where I click as their ad also appeared in a proper ad space. I have definitely clicked on a legitimate link and yet the ad appears. This is becoming a bit more than annoying as once the ad page appears, there is no "Back" option and I have to close the window, reopen and start over again.

And does it happen on any other sites?

Sounds like a form of malware that is likely on your system, not generated from TF.

Craig-yep, logged in here.

Dave-I checked my machine w/anti-malware bytes and nothing shows up. this is the only site it happens on.

Clean out your cookies run a program such as CC Cleaner .If it was the forum everyone would have the same problem

I haven't logged into TF on my computer for a while. When I have accessed the website it has been with my iPad using Safari, so I wouldn't have noticed.

I run Adblock along with Malwarebytes anti-malware and on my tablet also run OPera mini. Opera at the suggestion of someone here.

I had similar trouble .

Over the last week or so, when clicking on various site links, I get an ad page for Alibaba or whatever. Since the first time it happened, I have paid close attention to where I click as their ad also appeared in a proper ad space. I have definitely clicked on a legitimate link and yet the ad appears. This is becoming a bit more than annoying as once the ad page appears, there is no "Back" option I have to close the window, reopen and start over again.

Sure you hadn't wandered into OTDE, strange things happen there. A bit like the old TV series 'Outerlimits'. ahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY6y0zRCiOYnd

I have had nothing strange pop up. MacBook Air with Safari.

Greetings,
Mr. THD. My Commodore 64 is fine. Maybe it's the Russian hackers?

giphy.gif

I run Adblock along with Malwarebytes anti-malware and on my tablet also run OPera mini. Opera at the suggestion of someone here.

I had similar trouble .

Opera mini is great as it stops all ads; unlike the competition that allows companies that pay them to bypass the blocking system.

It sounds like you may have some unwanted adware on your computer. You might try running the free version of malwarebytes (downloadable) to clean it up.

I am having the same problem.

Mr RT-The Donald has assured me that he checked and Putin would not do that!

A minute ago the only thing playing on my screen was a small advert, all else was frozen. I`m not getting this on other sites.

My computer still gets freezing on TF. Nowhere else. There seem to be 20+ websites involved in every TF transaction. Getting stuck at present the culprit looks to be us.u.openx.net. what`s it for? Debugger seems to help.

Try a Google search on 'what is us.u.openx.net'. This search shows a couple of sites that purport to explain how to remove openx.net. Also says openx.net is a malware/virus server.

I use Chrome, with the AdBlock extension, and I've never seen an ad on TF, ever.

My computer still gets freezing on TF. Nowhere else. There seem to be 20+ websites involved in every TF transaction. Getting stuck at present the culprit looks to be us.u.openx.net. what`s it for? Debugger seems to help.

I would not say "Oh merde !" even if I am sure you understand that very well...

Do with it what you wish, but let me explain :
1) Download and install the FREE version of "Spybot - Search & Destroy for Windows".
There are many free anti SPYBOT tools, some of them are... malicious softwares. Be sure you would download from the original website :
https://www.safer-networking.org
- Run Setup / Install with standard features, once again the free version only.
- Download updates, run Immunize, run a full check, Clean / Fix if required.

2) Download and install the FREE version of "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" for Windows from original https://www.malwarebytes.com
- Run Setup / Install with standard features, don't click on "Try the full version".
- Download updates, run a full check, Clean / Fix if required.

P.

Definitely agree. Firefox with Adblock Plus + WOT + Ghostery is very good preventive control and monitoring, could be the best.

If I understood correctly, first at all Bruce K needs curative treatments then preventive.

I use Firefox, with Adblock Plus...never see any ads anywhere.

Unless you frequent Facebook. They are now bypassing the Adblock Plus filters. Boo! Hiss! (I have quit watching Facebook because of that -- I'll just have to see pictures of my grandchildren at Christmas I guess. :)

I appreciate the advice, I`ll just need someone more savvy to help implement it, when they get home later today. Following Larry H`s advice,one site suggested first step was look for a recently installed program I did not install.I found and deleted one purporting to be a google game, which I removed.
Loading between threads on TF is now faster. I think, but am not certain the offending site I mentioned is not appearing. Time will tell.
I run a comprehensive AntiVirus package and do regular scans, which have been clear, but...

Back
Top Bottom