Keith; Come see Tsehum Yum Yum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Did you know she was a local???

A week or two ago when I mentioned the Chinese Junk in Powell River, that was the first time I had thought of her in oh, probably 4 dozen years. I had completely forgotten the name Yum Yum, until you said it.

Short story long, I was down at Tsehum looking at Northhills and I'll be go ta hell if a dragon wasn't eyeballing me. Yup, Yum Yum.

Had to do a Google and learned my memory was a little hazy. Had most of the details right just blew who the first owner was. I thought the Powell river boy had it shipped over but was wrong. He must have acquired it not long after the Mexican brought it to Powell River because I remember "Red" Matson had it in the early 60s.

Anyway, I drug up an original and took a couple at the fish dock.

Thanks for the memories.

http://www.wwbaca.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/YUM-YUM.pdf

Attachments

• Yum-Yum-before-aft-cabin.jpg
    Yum-Yum-before-aft-cabin.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 63
Hm... Another boat shipped as cargo from China with a yellow roof...

Hm... Another boat shipped as cargo from China with a yellow roof...

LOL, true, but Mark really has a point about the visibility of yellow at sea. This morning I was over at the condo overlooking the Gulf. There were three people on kayaks paddling about 250 yards off shore. Only the yellow one was visible. Check out the photo below, barely a yellow spec in the center of the picture, but there are two other blue kayaks beside it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 74
Oddly, I recall another Yum-Yum from my teenage years(1967-1974). She was a 40' teak junk built in Hong-Kong and shipped to California. Power was a Lister diesel The owner was an American and I don't recall his name, his wife was called "Happy" and she always was. He was a writer for movies or TV. They kept the boat in Seattle and cruised BC each summer, always stopping in to visit in the logging camp where I lived. Then they moved the boat to a bay north of Lund and retired there. The boat looked nothing like this one, she was all bright (natural) finish with some green paint work, the deckhouse was huge and full width, there were little overhanging walkways along the rails. Big tall pilothouse aft, they did not use the sails at all. It may be the same hull.....

Interesting comments, Tad because when I saw this one today, it didn't seem right, somehow. I had this thing in my head similar to what you describe but, 50 some odd years can alter minds and boats.

The pdf info meshes some with my recall, the Matson name fits and the Matson family were long time Victoria residents. Boat doesn't fit though.

One of these evenings I'll make a nuisance of myself down at the dock and see if I can make some sense of it all.

,Hawg:

Over the weekend there was a junk tied to the dock at Fernwood, that looked like what I recall of the Yum Yum. Just as Tad described, and not at all like the one you found in Tsehum Hbr. I didn;t know Julian & Jeanette Madsen personally, they were good friends of my sister and Bro-in-law, as Julian and he were in the same Engineering class at UBC. I ran across their junk a few times back in the 70s and maybe into th e80s, but by the mid 80s I think he was into the Argonaut.

Over the weekend there was a junk tied to the dock at Fernwood, that looked like what I recall of the Yum Yum. Just as Tad described, and not at all like the one you found in Tsehum Hbr. I didn;t know Julian & Jeanette Madsen personally, they were good friends of my sister and Bro-in-law, as Julian and he were in the same Engineering class at UBC. I ran across their junk a few times back in the 70s and maybe into th e80s, but by the mid 80s I think he was into the Argonaut.
Small world. Jeanette and her sibs, the Meilleurs, were all summer cohorts at Myrtle Point as kids and teens. Tons of good fun. Went to school with them all but haven't seen any in years. Their folks and my folks went back quite a ways.

I'm going to have to dig some Yum Yum. Something ain't right.

If only these old boats could talk!

I believe it was the development at Bliss Landing(?) where she was tied for years. Seems to me that most people thought she was pretty rotten then (would have been getting into the 80's).

If they are still around they are probably worth more as "Teak" than as a boat.

Marty...................

Back
Top Bottom