New poster and a new (to me) boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She has issues
But this is in the added on ply bulwarks and while looking ugly, is a simple cut out a big section, swim it in epoxy and fungicide and replace.

This, new paint from the rail down, new anodes, bottom paint, recaulking where required and a mechanical and electrical once over will be done over the next two weeks

image.jpg

image.jpg

The exterior timberwork is all in sad condition, but white paint with timber coloured paint accents will work wonders and last a hell of a lot longer.

This can be done bit by bit while we live aboard.

image.jpg

And that seems to be the extent of the bad stuff.
May need new house battery bank, getting checked today, may need new smaller more efficient HWS but we'll address that when the need arises.

Time to head on down and start attacking

Last edited:
Wasn't pushing much water on the way across, this at 8.5 knots and a dirty bum

13775982_10206982599029280_6687464303735645720_n.jpg

Bottom, prop and nozzle has had a good sand ready for spot recaulk, new anodes and antifoul

13626459_10206982590269061_8643715332105123087_n.jpg

13876127_10206983827179983_4175590347387631347_n.jpg

Let there be light.
Amazing how much difference lights in an engine room make

13782132_10206983835740197_3455302350001791258_n.jpg

While the sparky was there it was deemed the houshold 140L HWS which I had concerns about has a 1.8kw element, he reckons give it a run, should be fine,

Unfortunately the 3500 watt yum cha "Military Grade" inverter is cactus.
Will most likely sell off the 24v 60 amp Victron Skylla charger and put in a 4500w 100 amp Victron Inverter charger in its place.

Would love to put Selectronics gear in, but its more than twice the price.

Simi

Great looking boat! The kort nozzle is a great way of improving efficiency, but can suck up any loose debris. Up on the Great Lakes we had a ship in the fleet with twin screws and kort nozzles. Old tires sucked up can stop a 5000/HP EMD! The ship carried a hydraulic chainsaw just for cutting away stuff caught in the wheel.

And the battery bank is rooted.
PO had apparently wired it incorrectly with all charge going to first two in line and all draw from last two batteries.

New 4500w inverter/120amp charger is in, now to source batteries from slack bstards who refuse to call back and return emails.

For anyone in QLD I was surprised by Bainbridge Tech on Lytton Rd.
Thought they'd be one of the most expensive but I got the Victron 24v 4500w/120a inverter charger cheaper there than anyone and same with the 220ah agm's.

Great looking boat...& good choice of inverter/charger IMHO. Look forward to posts over coming years about the various projects...and hopefully, cruising experiences too!

Good God Millie - It's a freaking ship!

Kidding aside - WOW... Great Boat! Congrats! Enjoy!!

That is a gorgeous vessel. The best of times with her.

What are her specs?

Queensland is blessed with large single engine traditional build timber boats of long distance cruising capacity, more than any other state I think. Probably due to the longer distances and extended cruising attractions of Queensland.
A very interesting boat Simi 60, which should provide you with a wonderful "grey nomad" retirement cruising lifestyle.

Lovely boat, enjoy your travels, almost 12 months on board and we have no regrets.

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address

Last edited:
Lovely boat, enjoy your travels, almost 12 months on board and we have no regrets.

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address

Hickers, you're killin' me with envy... :cry:

That is a gorgeous vessel. The best of times with her.

What are her specs?
Thank you.
I have lusted for her and her sister for a few years and was surprised to see her pop up on my bargain basement radar.

She's a Millkraft 60 ex prawn trawler.
18 & 1/2 ft beam, close to 7ft draft.
2 inch thick hardwood planking in hull, close enough to 60 tonne when lifted 2 weeks ago with half load of fuel and about 1000 of water.
Carries 7000 litres of diesel in 2 tanks.
around 5000 litres of fresh in 4 tanks.
In 2000 she had a new Cummins NT855 installed - has 3500 hours on it now.
In 2003 to 2006 she was chopped at the deck and turned into a twin decker and was then used as the occasional weekender. Previous owner reckons he threw $800k at her and I'd believe it.
For the last few years she has be neglected, the previous owner moved considerable distance away and she got to much for him so we took her off his hands.

Here is the last add for her
Millkraft Motor Cruiser Ex Trawler Liveaboard: Power Boats | Boats Online for Sale | Timber | Queensland (Qld) | Boats Online

We'll launch on Friday having re positioned and re routed the raw water system, cut some rot from bulwarks, painted topsides up to cap rail, new antifoul, new anodes, new 150lb Manson supreme, 3 x 3000gph bilge pumps and float switches, 8 x 220ah batts, Victron 4500w inverter charger, 9 x 250w solar panels, Midnite classic 150 mppt, new Koden Fishfinder and transducer, 3.5m aluminium dinghy and 15hp Suzuki ob.

Simi-beautiful boat! Good luck with her. But, isn't the steering wheel on the wrong side?

I hope you are good at sanding and varnishing!

What was the netting for - keep birds off?

Simi-beautiful boat! Good luck with her. But, isn't the steering wheel on the wrong side?

You approach other vessels port to port, makes sense to have the wheel on the port side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom