Need advice for first longer cruise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave: I see you are on the move again.

Also, Dave:
Keep your eye's open and camera ready, you are entering an active mammal area.

In the past few days there have been plenty of sightings including an unconfirmed sighting of a rare Fin Whale. Could also have been a Minke Whale which was a confirmed sighting.

Otherwise, lot's of Orca, Harbour Porpoise, Dahl's (Dall's) Porpoise, large groups of Pacific White Sided Dolphins, Bigg's Killer and Humpback Whales are making appearances.

Dave:

I see you are on the move again. If you leave Norway Is and Jackscrew Is to port, I will see you pass my house in about an hour.

There is a Nav mark on the shore about 150 m NW of my house. Also a Catalina 22 on a mooring bouy 200' NW of my mooring bouy out front.

Keith

Is that the den nun buoy?

Dave:

I see you are on the move again. If you leave Norway Is and Jackscrew Is to port, I will see you pass my house in about an hour.

There is a Nav mark on the shore about 150 m NW of my house. Also a Catalina 22 on a mooring bouy 200' NW of my mooring bouy out front.

Keith

Heck, I am just going to do a drive by. I am passing that shore marker in a few.

Also, Dave:
Keep your eye's open and camera ready, you are entering an active mammal area.

In the past few days there have been plenty of sightings including an unconfirmed sighting of a rare Fin Whale. Could also have been a Minke Whale which was a confirmed sighting.

Otherwise, lot's of Orca, Harbour Porpoise, Dahl's (Dall's) Porpoise, large groups of Pacific White Sided Dolphins, Bigg's Killer and Humpback Whales are making appearances.

I mentioned that to my wife and she now has a death grip on the camera.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1470241348.364629.jpg

Is that you Keith?

Right you are Dave.

Attachments

• DAVE 1.jpg
    DAVE 1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DAVE 2.jpg
    DAVE 2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 61
  • Daave 3.jpg
    Daave 3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 56
Hawg:

Where have those sightings been?

I saw a pod of Orcas in Active pass in late April, but nothing since.

Isn't this just a very cool way to travel? Keeping in touch with people on shore and on other boats who are friendly and willing to offer advice on where to go and what to see.

Boaters are their own special kind of friendly and helpful people.

You have a beautiful spot there. What an amazing view!

Isn't this just a very cool way to travel? Keeping in touch with people on shore and on other boats who are friendly and willing to offer advice on where to go and what to see.
It's also fun to try and figure out where the hell they are headed.

Boaters are their own special kind of friendly and helpful people.

+1

Found a spot at Ganges. Surprised np myself and was about to back down and dock on the inside. I get better with practice.

Found a spot at Ganges. Surprised np myself and was about to back down and dock on the inside. I get better with practice.

So, has it been all you and your wife hoped for? Perhaps even more?

So, has it been all you and your wife hoped for? Perhaps even more?

We have had a great time. This trip exceeded my wife's expectations. She can't wait to come back.

The boat has likewise exceeded our expectations, and they were pretty high to begin with.

Ganges is nice. Lots of looking at galleries and eating ice cream. We may grab dinner at a local place or eat on board. Right now my wife wants to take a nap.

Hah! You should see the mess Spot gets hizzself into overnight with a 10-12 foot tide.

I try to remember to turn the Spot tracking off at night, but then I have to remember to turn it on again.

Tomorrow we need to cross back I to the US. Not sure where, Roche or Friday Harbor. I am thinking about Friday Harbor then anchoring somewhere East of there and then either cross the strait if the weather is good, or cut through deception pass. Slack is around noon on Friday in Deception.

I love that dhays took a pic of koliver's house while koliver was taking a pic of dhays' boat.
How cool was that!

I love that dhays took a pic of koliver's house while koliver was taking a pic of dhays' boat.
How cool was that!

Yeah, I could see a guy standing on his deck at a house about where Keith's house should be. We were able to wave at each other as I went by. Pretty fun.

You have to come back because you missed the whole other side of Saltspring with all the sites and eats.

Bummer.
I was hoping I could stuff some more ice cream down your gullet.

Next time sir.

It is always the case, a lot more places to see than we have time for. We will be back for sure.

This is the knife that I bought at the art Fair in Comox. Picture does not do it justice.

ForumRunner_20160803_193019.jpg

Dave:

Sorry I couldn't come down to the marina in Ganges. Had to drive up to Courtenay, just got back. Are you leaving at your usual early time tomorrow, or is there still time?

Dave:

Sorry I couldn't come down to the marina in Ganges. Had to drive up to Courtenay, just got back. Are you leaving at your usual early time tomorrow, or is there still time?

I hope to be out by 8:00am tomorrow. Since I will wake up early as usual, and my wife will sleep in late as usual, I figure I will find a coffee somewhere near the dock, then take off around 8:00am whether my wife is awake or not.

Nice. Do you know who made it?

I'll bid you fair winds the rest of the adventure and again, thanks for having us along.

Hope to see a full accounting soon.

I can't recall his name and I don't think I grabbed a card. He is from Nanaimo and lives on a Catalina 445.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom