Seattle Show vs. Boats Afloat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Cooper

Vessel Name
Tuna Talk
Vessel Make
CC Tournament 30
I'm on the east coast and thinking of attending either the Sept. 2016 Boats Afloat show or Jan. 2017 Seattle Boat Show for the purpose of comparing new trawlers. Never having attended one of these shows, which one would offer the best line-up of trawlers to view?

If you go to the Seattle Boat Show, they will also have all the bigger boats on display ( both new and old) at Lake Union, just like the Boats Afloat Show. One admission will get you into both places, and they run a shuttle bus between the two locations.

Jim,

Not a direct answer, but we found the TrawlerFest event in Anacortes earlier this year to have a better selection of trawlers than either of the Seattle events. At least one local broker had everything they had on the docks available to see, in addition to the event. Perhaps a drive to Anacortes might be worth your time if you come to Seattle.

The Seattle Boat Show itself is a very walkable event if you are lodging within a comfortable distance. They offer an impressive seminar line up if you have the time. Recommended.

Best Wishes,

Jeff

thanks for the information...was planning to just spend a weekend at a show but Anacortes may be worth extending the visit. Not bringing the checkbook this trip but want to compare as many 43-49 ft. trawlers as I can look at.

thanks for the information...was planning to just spend a weekend at a show but Anacortes may be worth extending the visit. Not bringing the checkbook this trip but want to compare as many 43-49 ft. trawlers as I can look at.

Just curious. Why the PNW shows when you live where you do?

The inside show is where the accessories and smaller boats are and will be very similar to the Miami show.. The Afloat part will have a wide variety of larger vessels with a few trawlers thrown in. The main thing is that brokers and manufacturers will be there and that is a great place to start, 90 percent of the guys and their boats are at both shows. The only question is do you want to be in the northwest in the summer or winter?

Jim-of the two, the Seattle Boat Show is the better one IMO. But B raises a good point. While we would love to have you visit, you have the Miami and Lauderdale shows right there. The next best East Coast show to me is the Annapolis show. You can check online at all three and see which manufacturers and companies will be represented at each show. You also have Krogen based in Stuart, they are always happy to have you visit. I think there is also a Trawlerfest or two on the East Coast.

Jim-of the two, the Seattle Boat Show is the better one IMO. But B raises a good point. While we would love to have you visit, you have the Miami and Lauderdale shows right there. The next best East Coast show to me is the Annapolis show. You can check online at all three and see which manufacturers and companies will be represented at each show. You also have Krogen based in Stuart, they are always happy to have you visit. I think there is also a Trawlerfest or two on the East Coast.

Trawlerfest on the Chesapeake in late Sept. Cruiserfest with FLIBS in November, then West Palm or Riviera after that. More early 2017. That's not to mention Cruiserfest at Newport in September. Well, I have mentioned it now.

I've been going to the Lauderdale and Miami shows for 30 years and yes, IMO they are both a helluva spectacle. Been to the Riviera Beach TrawlerFest and found it to be only adequate. My belief, and I may be wrong, is that the PNW is more "trawler country" than South Florida and hence will yield me better opportunity to see newer model inventories. Other than KK and GB, South Florida doesn't have that large a trawler inventory (new arrivals). There are couple builders I simply haven't found any inventory in Florida, i.e. Helmsman, which is on my short list. Need to scratch that itch and see the boat in person. I'm hoping to purchase new so that some customization is available to me, so speaking directly with the builders and brokers well before I am ready to pull out my checkbook is desired. Having said all that, heck, I've never been to the PNW! At $400 airfare, why not???

If you come up in the spring for the Trawler Fest, set aside a extra day to take a ferry ride into the San Juan Islands. You can park your car at the ferry landing and walk onto the ferry. Try to catch one of the boats that make a stop at all the different islands they go to. Get off at Friday Harbor and see the town, walk the docks if you want, than catch a afternoon boat back to Anacortes. It will probably be the high lite of your trip.

I've been going to the Lauderdale and Miami shows for 30 years and yes, IMO they are both a helluva spectacle. Been to the Riviera Beach TrawlerFest and found it to be only adequate. My belief, and I may be wrong, is that the PNW is more "trawler country" than South Florida and hence will yield me better opportunity to see newer model inventories. Other than KK and GB, South Florida doesn't have that large a trawler inventory (new arrivals). There are couple builders I simply haven't found any inventory in Florida, i.e. Helmsman, which is on my short list. Need to scratch that itch and see the boat in person. I'm hoping to purchase new so that some customization is available to me, so speaking directly with the builders and brokers well before I am ready to pull out my checkbook is desired. Having said all that, heck, I've never been to the PNW! At $400 airfare, why not???

I wouldn't say more trawlers in the PNW but you are correct that there are some builders not well represented in Florida shows but showing in the PNW. I was just curious and your answer makes a lot of sense.

Anyone have any lodging recommendations (preferably walking distance) for the Seattle show?

Anyone have any lodging recommendations (preferably walking distance) for the Seattle show?

We stayed at one of the "boat show special" hotels, which was the Courtyard by Marriott Pioneer Square. We had a kitchenette IIRC and would stay there again. It's about 10 minutes from the convention center on foot.

Closer to the show would be the Silver Cloud Hotel, and I stay there several times per year. Nice on-site food/bar/parking. Very close to the convention center.

Closer to Lake Union, the Hampton Inn Downtown Seattle is only a few blocks away. You can ride the shuttle from Lake Union to the convention center. Easy walk to 50 places to eat.

You don't need a car if you are able and willing to walk a bit. There is a light rail/train that will get you downtown from the airport for a couple of bucks. Save the cab fare for a nice dinner out, each way. You can move around downtown on foot very safely - I have never felt in danger.

I will be happy to discuss further...

Craig-there is both a Silver Cloud Inn and a Marriott Courtyard right across the street from the Show on Lake Union. Both are on Fairview Ave. There is also a Holiday Inn within a 5 minute walk on Westlake Ave. All are a bit of a hike from downtown though. However, the SC and Marriott are on the trolley line that runs downtown, a 5 minute ride on what is locally (and jokingly) known as the S.L.U.T. (South Lake Union Trolley!). As has been mentioned, there is free shuttle between the two show locations.

We stay at the airport and take the light rail to the show. A lot more hotels to chose from and no rental car needed.

Tom

Thank you all for great information. Gotta admit riding the SLUT downtown sounds oddly appealing. :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for great information. Gotta admit riding the SLUT downtown sounds oddly appealing. :)

Yea, they chose to NOT use that acronym once it was pointed out to them - Go Figure.

One thing to keep in mind is that the bus between the main part and the Boats Afloat part stops running at dark (I recall the last departure from Lake Union is around 5 PM) since that part of the show closes much earlier that the rest.

I guess the particular TrawlerFest you go to determines you impression, the one I went to in Anacortes a few years ago was not that impressive to me but then again I was not actually in the market for a new trawler at that time. There were not that many other vendors there.

Between the two the Seattle Boat show in January is, in my opinion, far better that the Boats Afloat (by itself) in September or the Anacortes TrawlerFest in May.

Marty.........................

The Seattle Boat Show is held at the Qwest Field Convention Center. Right across Occidental Avenue is a Silver Cloud Hotel. 10 minute walk to FX McCrorys restaurant and the light rail station, easy access to downtown.

If you want to be closer to the floating part of the show, there is a Marriott varietal across the street from the south Lake Union site.

We moored at the south end of the lake where the afloat is. Luckly we did not have to move as most live aboards where at the end, but open to the public. So we became part of the show as people would wander to the end. The eagle and we where some what known. Many times people would board and wander thru the boat, so we had coffee, cider and finger foods. Being the afloat is the end of January to was cold, wet with occasionally snow, so people where always looking for a warm dry place. each year people would offer want to buy the boat as there are very few old classic boat that is long range, 2000+ miles and live aboard ready.

We moved of the lake because if the Slut, and the south end developments. It lost is charm and became very expensive, and congested. Enjoyable will it lasted. We were moored on the ocean Alexander dock. Any way the boat and afloat were well worth it. Good time of the year to see how boats feel, sound in the dead of winter. Most 40+ boats will have diesel heating in the pnw.

Well I enjoyed the SLUT, and stayed at the Marriott. Just across the road, very convenient. It was fairly inexpensive as we booked early - boat show was part of a family ski trip. I did notice very long queues for the shuttle bus back to the indoor section of the show towards the end of the day, so I would suggest visiting the afloat section early if your hotel is in that area.

Kudos to Phil for hospitality!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom