Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
78-Doc Freeman was your grandfather? I knew his old place right under the Aurora Bridge before it closed. Didn't he own part of the Virginia V steamship at one time?

I believe so, among many other boats, large and small.

Born in 1921

Here is a great boat almost 100 yrs old built in Seattle in 1921.

She looks very weathered now but it's easy to see what a great lady she was.
She's powered w a 4-71 DD.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I know that boat, here in LaConner still? Used to be in Shelter Bay. I did some work on it for the old duffer who had it some years ago, haven't seen him or the boat in years. His name was Charles. Not Chuck, not Charlie,,,Charles! I got told.

What's the length of that beauty? Kind of hard to tell from that angle.

Cant recall for certain but I think she is about 36-38'. If you look closely at the hull, you can see that she has an overlay of narrow "planking", that was put on in sort of cup and cove style, edge glued, sort of like strip planking. I don't remember if "Charles" did it or someone else.

Greetings,
What makes this particular 110 year old vessel worth $200K? Uniqueness? Fresh Gardner? Surely NOT the fact that it is a wooden boat coated with FRG...A death knell for most wooden boats IF not done properly IMO.

Lon Ded Chin, if in fact it IS what Mr. D suggests, is in poor taste (also IMO).

Yikes! That thing ate his retirement fund! ?

This should be a cautionary tale for all the new posters looking retire on a boat. Boats can be hungry, retirement fund eating monsters.

Last edited:
How does that thing not flop over and sink?

Yikes! That thing ate his retirement fund! ?

This should be a cautionary tale for all the new posters looking retire on a boat. Boats can be hungry, retirement fund eating monsters.

This post should be mandatory reading for every new member.

Why be so critical?

He may have most of his money left and I do'nt see why it won't sell. The building/rebuilding was work to be sure but work is almost always uplifting. He sounds sad in his add but it may have all to do w his health .. and not being able to finish his project.
The only criticism I have is that he should clean up the boat before taking CL pics.

You all make him out to be such a fool and the fools IMO are here on this page.

Good points Willy. Not many in this forum would probably be interested in his boat but there are many places where it would fit in and probably sell pretty quickly.

Why be so critical?

He may have most of his money left and I do'nt see why it won't sell. The building/rebuilding was work to be sure but work is almost always uplifting. He sounds sad in his add but it may have all to do w his health .. and not being able to finish his project.
The only criticism I have is that he should clean up the boat before taking CL pics.

You all make him out to be such a fool and the fools IMO are here on this page.

I was not trying to make him look like a fool, but just empathizing with the fact that his boat project ate most of his retirement fund. In his ad he states the project ate up "much of his retirement fund". Maybe I erroneously equated the terms "much " with "most", but that was not an attempt to make him look foolish in any way.

I never specifically criticized his boat.

Last edited:
Sorry dude but the whole page seemed to make him out the fool and of course that would elevate those who know better (the posters) as being well above that and much smarter. The old put the other guy down to make yourself look good.

I think most of us feel sorry for the guy. It sounds as if he is terribly disappointed. Many of us here have seen boat projects that take longer, are much more expensive, and get beyond the capabilities of the owner. It is tough when dreams run afoul of reality. I don't think that any wished to belittle him.

A lot of guys in Alaska would love to have that houseboat. And as a houseboat it's about as likely to tip over as an aircraftcarrier. Sometimes TF kinda comes off as a Yacht Club.

And there's the chance that he over stated his "problems" to enhance the sale appeal.

But money and health problems together are not a small thing. I have plenty of arthritis but someone in a wheel chair would be inclined to think of my problem to be small. Indeed I am thankful for the health I have .. at 76.

I found this Downeast Trawler interesting. 1979 Lyman Morse 52. Can anyone share with me information on These Camden, Maine built boats? Note: the aft state room is detached from the lounge and forward stateroom. Is there a reason for this design?

Attachments

• 52_downeast_cruiser_22071398.jpg
    52_downeast_cruiser_22071398.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I found this Downeast Trawler interesting. 1979 Lyman Morse 52. Can anyone share with me information on These Camden, Maine built boats? Note: the aft state room is detached from the lounge and forward stateroom. Is there a reason for this design?

That boat was discussed awhile back here on this very thread I think.

I think the cockpit area has been extended on this boat iirc?

Never mind. I see you found the thread where it was discussed.

I have seen this boat on the way to my fishing camp in Cocodrie,La for years and always admired the boat. I finally stopped to get a picture of it last week. As I was driving away the owner flagged me down asked me if I was interested in buying it. I told him I already had a couple of boats but maybe I would post a picture on the internet.
Looks like a steel shrimp boat hull with cruising cabin added on at some point he told me it has a 4-71 DD engine. it appears to be about 35' long.
If I can get some better pictures next week I'll post on the classified section.

Attachments

• Tidwell Express.JPG
    Tidwell Express.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 91
78, "fair" frequently isn't an element of steel boats.

But Craig at least the inside decks are horizontal ... unlike a Lord Nelson.

Your opinion sucks and mine doesn't.

My opinion sucks and yours doesn't.

Some prefer blondes, others redheads and still other brunettes.

You can like your sheer lines your way, I mine and yet miraculously neither of us would be wrong. Except you of course IMO :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom