Need advice for first longer cruise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a great dinner at Black Fin early in the evening after spending lots of tourist dollars at the outdoor fair there at the park next to the marina.

I woke up at 5:00am, and not able to sleep, I looked at the charts to figure out how to get to Nanaimo. Turns out it is farther than I had thought so I left my wife sleeping and took off.

Beautiful morning. I also had a new experience. Across Baynes Sound there is a ferry. On either side I could see either a red or green light a that changed periodically. As I was about to get to the ferry dock on the Denman Island side the light turned red. Fortunately at that point I could just read the sign under the light through the binoculars. I immediately powered back just as the ferry announced over channel 16 that Barnes Sound Connect is a cable ferry. I drifted in placed while the ferry crossed and made sure I waited for the lights to change to green before proceeding. So that is what the boat and dotted lines mean on the chart!

Anyway, the wife wants to go to Nanaimo, so that is where we will be tonight. I have no plans other than to work my way South. Maybe stop in Sidney?

The water in Barnes Sound is glass smooth. The sky is clear with some cumulus over the mountains of Vancouver Island. It is warm, but not hot. Almost no boat traffic. My wife just mentioned that this is one of the nicest days we have had. Personally, I think she is just enjoying the piece and quiet with the kids being gone.

We met another NP 43 owner last night. He has a 2011 that he bought new. It was interesting to see the small changes between our boats. Some features had been added for 2011 and he had selected some options that my boats original owner didn't. Being a 2011, he also had the more recent version of the RM electronics package where mine was the last model year for the older series.

He is still very happy with his boat after 5 years.

One of my purchases in Comox was a knife from one of the vendors out of Nanaimo. It is a nice clasp knife with a lovely wood work surrounding the SS frame. Turns out he lives aboard a Catalina 445 which was dock near us. The 445 is, in my opinion, one of the best production sailboats of its type available today. Great design, fantastic attention to detail, and has developed a reputation as a fast boat. His was the first 445 on the Canadian West coast. When I bought my used Catalina 400 in 2010, I looked through one of the first 445s delivered to the West Coat at a dealer in Marina del Rey. If I could have afforded a new boat, I would have bought one.

Dave:

You are on the final day of the August long weekend, so should see the number of boats diminish slightly as the weekend warriers return home. Yesterday I was over to Montague Harbour and saw the highest concentration of boats there ever, with about 20 overflowing to the NW side of the park. Likewise, from my house I can see into Conover Cove and to the overflow anchorage at the NW end of Princess, both on Wallace Island, where similarly the overflow has been full for a week or so. Other Gulf Island anchorages have likely been just as full. By the time you are passing through, these anchorages should all have some room, especially if you can arrive around noon, when the leaving boats are gone and you become one of the first to arrive.

Tomorrow, Dodd turns to flood at 10:21 PST so you don't need to get up real early, but should plan to get through before that turning, as the max flood is 7.8 knots, which could present a challenge. Max ebb of 6.8 is at 07:09 AM, so any time after that will give you a good push south. Dodd is much better behaved in the ebb, southerly, direction, so little excitement, just a good, solid push.

I echo others, with thanks for allowing us to ride along.

That cable ferry is relatively new and a brainchild only a politician could conceive. I'll leave it at that.

While sitting in Nanaimo, have a good look at the islands and anchorages south of Dodd and refer to the lists posted in the "Gulf Islands" thread. Be a shame if you went right by spots like Annette Cove, pictured.

If you come down Sansum, Genoa Bay and Cowichan should be considerations. If for no other reasons that the eateries.

Thursday evenings in Sidney are fun with a vibrant street market.

I don't like intruding on folks in the marina so, if you drop by, you have my number...

Attachments

• annetteinside.jpg
    annetteinside.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Tomorrow, Dodd turns to flood at 10:21 PST so you don't need to get up real early, but should plan to get through before that turning, as the max flood is 7.8 knots, which could present a challenge. Max ebb of 6.8 is at 07:09 AM, so any time after that will give you a good push south. Dodd is much better behaved in the ebb, southerly, direction, so little excitement, just a good, solid push.

I echo others, with thanks for allowing us to ride along.

Thanks for the heads up. Uncharacteristically, I haven't planned ahead at all. I hadn't even looked at the currents for Dodd yet. But sounds like it will work great for us. We should be able to coach the tail end of the ebb at a decent time in the morning. Then I just need to see where my wife wants to go once we are through.

What can you tell me about Chrome I?
View attachment 54782
That question makes me realize how we take things for granted. To me it's just always been there.

It is a typical BC coast light (and weather) station established in the late 1800s, has signs of earlier indigenous life and is, to my knowledge one of only a few still manned.

Sorry, that's all I can give you.

By the way, when you get down around Winchelsea Islands, if you choose to go outside, don't forget about Area Whiskey Gulf.

Just curious, what's your speed?

Last edited:
That question makes me realize how we take things for granted. To me it's just always been there.

It is a typical BC coast light (and weather) station established in the late 1800s, has signs of earlier indigenous life and is, to my knowledge one of only a few still manned.

Sorry, that's all I can give you.

By the way, when you get down around Winchelsea Islands, if you choose to go outside, don't forget about Area Whiskey Gulf.

Just curious, what's your speed?

It is a very cool looking facility.

I was thinking of sneaking between Ada Islands and Southey Is. It looks like a reasonably clear shot. WG is inactive today. Current SOG is 6.4 kt. Glad you asked. I must have bumped my throttle as my rpm was only 1340. Now that it is back to 1400 I am going 6.6 kt. My boat has been running slower than normal this trip. I am thinking a dirty bottom. I don't think my diver got to me before we left.

Thanks for the heads up. Uncharacteristically, I haven't planned ahead at all. I hadn't even looked at the currents for Dodd yet. But sounds like it will work great for us. We should be able to coach the tail end of the ebb at a decent time in the morning. Then I just need to see where my wife wants to go once we are through.

We will be heading north though Dodd tomorrow. Will keep an eye out for you. We are on an Elite 32' (sail).

We will be heading north though Dodd tomorrow. Will keep an eye out for you. We are on an Elite 32' (sail).

Yes do! If you see an off-white NP 43 with a red kayak on the port side and a yellow kayak on Stb, give us a hail.

dhays; said:
I was thinking of sneaking between Ada Islands and Southey Is. It looks like a reasonably clear shot.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with either side of Ada but I will leave you on your own with that decision. You know you and your boat better than anyone.

Only thing I will add is; with a 13' tide range, you will be in a pretty decent flood through there by the time you arrive.

Completely your call cap'n.

-------------------------------

After Nanaimo, if you are not into anchoring, Telegraph Harbour is a pretty relaxing spot without any resorty atmosphere.
Telegraph Harbour Marina Resort

Dave-when you get to Nanaimo, make sure to stop and say Hi to Sunchaser if they are still there. Earlier this year, I had the pleasure of a cup of coffee with them as they were passing through Seattle. Very nice folks who will be happy to greet you.

I will keep an eye out for them. De fever 48 iirc. We aren't sure where we will find moorage for tonight. Thought we would either try the Nanaimo Port Authority or the reciprocal docks at Nanaimo YC.

Dave-when you get to Nanaimo, make sure to stop and say Hi to Sunchaser if they are still there. Very nice folks who will be happy to greet you.
Completely agree but it looks like they are on the other side now at Pender Harbour.

Dave, you might find a mooring or hook it in the harbour between Newcastle and Protection Islands. Good exploring ashore from there even though it's not for me in August.

Hey, maybe ASDs naked night swimmer might entertain.

Completely agree but it looks like they are on the other side now at Pender Harbour.

Dave, you might find a mooring or hook it in the harbour between Newcastle and Protection Islands. Good exploring ashore from there even though it's not for me in August.

Hey, maybe ASDs naked night swimmer might entertain.

Do they have AIS? I did a search but didn't find them. Maybe my search skills just fail...

I think my wife would like to explore the waterfront of Nanaimo, so I would like to fine a dock for the night. Hopefully all the locals are heading back home after the 3-day weekend.

Do they have AIS? I did a search but didn't find them. Maybe my search skills just fail...

I think my wife would like to explore the waterfront of Nanaimo, so I would like to fine a dock for the night. Hopefully all the locals are heading back home after the 3-day weekend.
Sunchaser has AIS and I'm only guessing that's him in Pender Harbour. Logical enough move from where he was in Nanaimo.

You should be good to find dockage somewhere.

Off your port bow, Ballenas Island. Another light and weather as is Merry Island which you mentioned last week.

Ballenas...
During July of 1791, Spanish explorer José María Narváez, at the age of just twenty-three, led the first European exploration of the Strait of Georgia as commander of the schooner Santa Saturnina. While offshore from present-day Parksville, Narváez encountered a pod of whales near a pair of islands, which he immediately named Islas de las Ballenas (Whale Islands). The sighting of the whales convinced Narváez that the Strait of Georgia must have a second connection to the ocean besides the Strait of San Juan de Fuca.

Yup, Sunchaser is in Pender Harbour. No way to avoid HW's sharp eye. Headed further north Tuesday AM, likely Powell River.. No agenda other than avoiding crowds in Desolating Sound. And a wonderful dinner at Dent Island Lodge later in week.

Yup, Sunchaser is in Pender Harbour. No way to avoid HW's sharp eye. Headed further north Tuesday AM, likely Powell River.. No agenda other than avoiding crowds in Desolating Sound. And a wonderful dinner at Dent Island Lodge later in week.

We had a couple great meals in Powell River. The Coastal Cookery last week then the Tree Frog bistro this week. Both are within walking distance of the marina.

I am sitting in the cockpit (covered cockpit) watching a thunderstorm here in Nanaimo. The Nanaimo Port Authority was full up so we called the NYC and the nice caretaker found a spot for us. I really appreciate the YCs like NYC that go out of their way to help reciprocal club members. It is about a mile from where my wife wanted to explore a bit so we got a nice walk in last night.

As we were on the docks heading to our boat "alesnloggers" stopped us and asked if I was "Dhays". I must have been wearing my "old guy-former sailor-American tourist" sign I guess. It was very nice to meet Dave. As has been the case, a super nice and friendly guy. Of course Dave has the advantage of both being a Canadian and a sailor. Hard to beat that combo for niceness. I had to cut our chat short because after two Long Island Ice teas with dinner, my wife really needed to use the head. Dave and his girlfriend are going to spend a few days of R and R on their sailboat.

Now it is time to leave the dock and head for Dodd Narrows and then figure out where to go from there. I get silly excited when I can sit in the PH and use the windshield wipers. It is still a novelty.

Now it is time to leave the dock and head for Dodd Narrows and then figure out where to go from there. I get silly excited when I can sit in the PH and use the windshield wipers. It is still a novelty.

It's at that point that powerboating seems very nice. That's one of the many things you made the move for.

It was nice meeting the two of you also.
Definitely a good day to be driving from inside. I'll be donning my foul weather gear soon and heading north.
Safe travels.

It was nice meeting the two of you also.
Definitely a good day to be driving from inside. I'll be donning my foul weather gear soon and heading north.
Safe travels.

You as well. I hope the weather clears up for you.

We wine through Dodd and decided to stop in North Cove on Thetis. We can watch the boats go by and should have good protection from the South wind that is in the forecast. We are also the only boat here and it is nice to have some seclusion for a change.

BTW, my Mom mentioned that the last time she and my Dad went through Dodd Narrows they went through North bound under sail flying a spinnaker. He was a bit crazy.

I have been anchored in North Cove for about 6 hours, enjoying the periodic rain and the sounds coming from shore from the youth camp. I enjoy listening to children playing.

We set our anchor in just under 15 feet of water at low tide. I set it well and put out 100' of chain since we would have about 25' of water when the tide was high. I also dropped an anchor buoy. Well after all afternoon. That buoy is sitting 2 feet from my bow. I think I could have dropped a pot on a string and I wouldn't have moved anymore.

Large anchorage, yet a 32' dropped their anchor about 75' from me. If we get a wind tonight it could get messy.

Large anchorage, yet a 32' dropped their anchor about 75' from me. If we get a wind tonight it could get messy.

Only if they put out the typical 7 to 1 scope... and it only gets interesting around 1AM :)

Dave:

Will you be stopping in at Wallace Is?

Princess is one of my favorite spots. In 1988, I was there for the dedication of the new Marine Park On July 1 that year I took a picture that I had on my office wall till it faded to light blue. I went back another July 1 and replaced it. when that one faded, it too was replaced. By then we had our house across on Saltspring, so didn't need to take our boat there, but love the spot, so of course we still go there regularly. I still keep a current July 1 sunset from that most photogenic spot in the gulf Islands.

Keith

Dave:

Will you be stopping in at Wallace Is?

Princess is one of my favorite spots. In 1988, I was there for the dedication of the new Marine Park On July 1 that year I took a picture that I had on my office wall till it faded to light blue. I went back another July 1 and replaced it. when that one faded, it too was replaced. By then we had our house across on Saltspring, so didn't need to take our boat there, but love the spot, so of course we still go there regularly. I still keep a current July 1 sunset from that most photogenic spot in the gulf Islands.

Keith

I don't think so. My wife informed me that she wants to go to Ganges. I am not sure why. So it looks like we will go to Ganges tomorrow, then clear US customs at either Roche or Friday Harbor on Thursday, spending the night somewhere. Then cross the straits on Friday am and get to Gig Harbor Saturday.

Dave:

I see you are on the move again. If you leave Norway Is and Jackscrew Is to port, I will see you pass my house in about an hour.

There is a Nav mark on the shore about 150 m NW of my house. Also a Catalina 22 on a mooring bouy 200' NW of my mooring bouy out front.

Keith

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom