Contract Signed / New Build Underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Progress Report July 21st

Scott forwarded a new batch of photo's a few days ago which were taken last week so these are a little dated. That aside we can see significant progress in just one week. This photo of the bow shows the new larger rub rail and new bow railing installed. When we first looked at the bow railing on the H38 we were impressed with its size and quality, no need to change anything (at least that was what I thought). Then I started to think about previous boats we have owned and those that offered a bow railing which extends over the anchor allowing me to safely lean over during the retrieval process. I spoke to Scott about this enhancement and he agreed it would be an improvement. In addition to the safety concern I also like the appearance it offers of a longer or slightly sleeker bow. We can also see the hull stripe has been applied. More to follow.............

We off to SD (again) to escape the heat and will provide more photos and updates once we get settled in.

John

Attachments

• Bow July 25.jpg
    Bow July 25.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 183
Progress Report

After a few days in SD which included a stop at the marina to obtain our parking and gate pass keys, we are back home and able to share a few photo's. We can see continued progress with the galley and center cabinet just to port from the steps leading up to the pilothouse. Some of the changes we made to the cabinet included raising the microwave allowing for about 18" of clearance below for a coffee maker or what ever Mary decides to place there. We also decided to go with a fully encased microwave cabinet resulting in a slightly smaller unit but still large enough for our use.

We can see the SS sink has been installed to port and aft near the sliding the door entrance. To port we can also see how the stove / oven will be slightly recessed from the counter left and refrigerator to right. At first we were concerned the refrigerator / freezer would block entrance to the day head (port side) but after taking measurements aboard another boat I was able to confirm there is plenty of pass through space.

Looking at the ceiling we can see the finishing coats have been applied providing a very nice finish which we never see once the ceiling panels are installed after all the wiring is complete.

OK, gotta go now. Mary recorded Jimmy Buffet for me when he appeared on the Today Show last Friday and I'm curious to see what he has to say.

Scott leaves tomorrow for China, more to follow.

Attachments

• Galley July 25th.jpg
    Galley July 25th.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 216
Very exciting!

Very, although I must admit I'm not good at visualizing from partially complete boats or homes or remodels. I can visualize it on paper and drawings before, but the in process just throws me.

Progress Report

A couple of photos showing the OSR head and shower. The first photo is the of the shower room to starboard with a separate opening window. The second photo is the head compartment (port side) also with separate opening window. Since both compartments were previous built outside the boat there is not a lot to do after glassing them except to add pluming and finishing touches. Having separate shower / head rooms is a first for us on a boat and something we look forward to. While the shower is a little on the narrow side we have had smaller so we believe it will work out fine.

Attachments

• Head July 25.jpg
    Head July 25.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 596
  • Shower July 25.jpg
    Shower July 25.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 102
Pilothouse Photo

We can see progress being made in the PH including completion of port side seating area. Another nice touch the builder recently added is a head rest against the aft bulkhead. While some people may not notice this enhancement we appreciate the forward thinking of Scott and the builder to provide an added level of safety during rough seas.

The seating area is large enough for three people and the fixed table (to be installed) will provide a nice dinning area which we plan to use often while enjoying the views.

We can also see to port the large and deep map storage compartment which will be covered with a hinged panel.

Things are looking good!

Attachments

• PH July 25th.jpg
    PH July 25th.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 93
John -

your redesigned salon looks expansive...nice job!

How do you feel about the overall rate of progress here? Has it met your expectations?

IIRC, the initial estimate was a 6-month "build time". I'm guessing you'll now be close to a year between order and delivery.

Schedule Expectations

How do you feel about the overall rate of progress here? Has it met your expectations?

IIRC, the initial estimate was a 6-month "build time". I'm guessing you'll now be close to a year between order and delivery.

Excellent question and something Mary (my wife) has also been asking. We signed the contract in early November 2015. Figure about one month to process and obtain materials plus six months six months we were looking at May 2016 completion. Now we are looking at shipping on or about August 20th. So we are about three months longer than originally planned.

When Scott and I looked back at why the delay we both concluded we underestimated a few things with the most significant being the redesigned and all new deck tooling and PH roof. Even though some this started late last year it all takes times. Add in the Chinese New Year (we should have included originally) which equals about one lost month and it all adds up. While Mary and I didn't help with a number of in "process changes" none of them impacted the overall schedule.

So, what would Scott quote and likely deliver against on the following boats? I believe it back to six - seven months. Being the first buyer of any new boat or major redesigned boat is not for the "beginner" who likely would expect everything to be perfect. Trawler style boats with their level of customization and complexity just don't work that way.

As long as the quality and all our other expectations are met we will be fine with a small delay. We recognize based on past experiences that within a few weeks off enjoying the boat we will have forgotten we had to wait a little longer than originally planned. Another plus for us in southern California is that our best boating weather is the fall with clear skies and calmer seas so an early September start of boating for us is perfect.

John

It's real hard to tell how far along things really are with so few pictures, but it appears that electrical work has only just begun, and that plumbing has not yet started. I assume the engine/gear drive line, rudder etc are all done, but maybe not. Also still lots of equipment to install including electrical, steering system, plumbing systems, fuel and water fills and vents, drains, bilge pumps, alarms, throttle and engine controls, horn, lights, etc. It also looks like doors, windows, and port lights/hatches are still to be installed. Presumably all this equipment is on the container that shipped about 2 weeks ago and should be arriving mid Aug.

I'll go out on a limb at take a crack at a remaining time table:

- 6-8 weeks of build time left. And this might be more like 8-10.

- 4-6 weeks shipping. The actual ocean crossing may only be 2 weeks, but the ship is almost never available right when you are ready so you end up waiting. Then after loading the ship will typically roam around Asia for a while picking up other freight, then cross over.

- 2 weeks commissioning for Scott to finish up whatever he needs to do, fully test, and fix any issues.

- 4 weeks for electronics. As I recall you are not pre-installing anything? This might take a little less time if you are doing a minimal system, but I'm assuming 1-2 MFDs, a thruhull transducer with fairing, radar, VHF, GPS antenna, heading sensor, Autopilot. Presumably there will also be some amount of AV equipment like a TV and maybe a sound system.

- 2-3 weeks for soft goods. Window shades, curtains, carpet, pillows, bed covers all take time, and some of it requires templating, fabrication, and fitting.

- 2 weeks for other outfitting. Will you have a dinghy? And if so, it will need mounts of some sort. Safety gear above and beyond the minimum, tools, basic spares, charts, binocs and all your own nav accessories, etc. Half out boat seems to be filled with this sort of stuff.

Now some of the state-side work can happen in parallel, but I expect total elapsed time will be 4-6 weeks. I think bottom line you are still looking at 14-18 weeks until you take ownership and sail off into the sunset. But that said, I think your attitude is right - take what time is needed to get the boat you want - then go enjoy it. Any delays will quickly be supplanted by great cruising.

Time to finish

It's real hard to tell how far along things really are with so few pictures, but it appears that electrical work has only just begun, and that plumbing has not yet started. I assume the engine/gear drive line, rudder etc are all done, but maybe not. Also still lots of equipment to install including electrical, steering system, plumbing systems, fuel and water fills and vents, drains, bilge pumps, alarms, throttle and engine controls, horn, lights, etc. It also looks like doors, windows, and port lights/hatches are still to be installed. Presumably all this equipment is on the container that shipped about 2 weeks ago and should be arriving mid Aug.

Wow, good to see someone with a little experience comment. While all your comments and remaining work are accurate there are a few things to note which make me optimistic that we are not that far away.

First is that the photos are now two weeks old and the electrical we have been told has in fact commenced. The equipment shipped two weeks ago is scheduled to arrive the yard by 8/7 and is limited in content. Scott has already started to book the first freighter based on a August 20th completion at the yard. His visit this week will confirm the boat will be ready.

Regarding post arrival tasks I think the estimates you provided are based more on Nordhavn style boats and time tables. I can attest that commissioning on our two N40's were four and six weeks. The longer schedule included electronics and soft goods installation towards the end. Commissioning on these boats is much simpler and only takes a few days, add in two days for training and sea trials and we are talking one week.

We plan to have Alcom Marine perform the electronics installation and based upon our work package the estimate is five working days. This will start a couple of weeks after the boat is turned over to us so we can enjoy some time "out on the bay" and evenings aboard at the marina.

Soft goods (interior and exterior) will get started as soon as the boat is handed over and will only take about two weeks from order to installation.

Bottom line (assuming all goes as planned) is that we should have the boat ready for our first coastal run off shore within about one month after delivery. Again, if it takes a little longer that is OK since we really just want to be able to get on the boat and start relaxing at the marina where the weather is cooler and the Margaritas are plentiful.

Our approach to any new boat (new to us) is to take things slow and expand our day trips little by little until we feel 100% confident with the boat, its systems and ourselves. We are not on a clock and want to enjoy every minute learning the boat.

Now if I'm talking about this part of the build process again in December then we may be little disappointed (hope not).

John

One difference I see right away is that you will take ownership as soon as Scott has completed the boat checkout, then install electronics, soft goods, etc afterwards. Your estimate of 4 weeks for all that is about the same as my 4-6 estimate. The only difference is that the boat becomes yours earlier in the process, which is a perfectly reasonable way to do it.

But I will definitely be surprised if the boat is ready to ship in 3 weeks, i.e. on Aug 20th. I hope I'm wrong.

For electronics, will the boat need to be hauled to install a transducer?

One difference I see right away is that you will take ownership as soon as Scott has completed the boat checkout, then install electronics, soft goods, etc afterwards. Your estimate of 4 weeks for all that is about the same as my 4-6 estimate. The only difference is that the boat becomes yours earlier in the process, which is a perfectly reasonable way to do it.

But I will definitely be surprised if the boat is ready to ship in 3 weeks, i.e. on Aug 20th. I hope I'm wrong.

For electronics, will the boat need to be hauled to install a transducer?

I would be shocked if it shipped in August. Hope I'm wrong as well.

I can't imagine building as your build went but it worked for you and Scott. I'm just use to specifications up front and very few and only minimal changes along the way. This was a design while building project. What counts though is if you both end up happy, if you're happy with the boat and they are happy with the payment in light of the various changes and delays, then the world is all good. That's all that matters.

Congratulations ! We're in the process of deciding on a live-aboard and anxious to hear about your decision process. We saw the Helmsman 38 at the Bay Bridge boat show this Spring and it was the show favorite for us as were the company folks w talked to.

Helmsman

Congratulations ! We're in the process of deciding on a live-aboard and anxious to hear about your decision process. We saw the Helmsman 38 at the Bay Bridge boat show this Spring and it was the show favorite for us as were the company folks w talked to.

Steve / Jan, we put a lot of research and thought into our decision and the H38E and would enjoy discussing our decision process with you. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this over the phone one evening if you are interested. Best of luck with your next boat!

John T.

Progress Report August 2nd

This past week we received an update from Scott who was at the yard inspecting our boat along with many others which will follow. Scott reported he was very pleased with the way everything was turning out and impressed with the openness of the salon / galley. He also liked the way the bow railing turned out and will consider making it standard on future boats. He said the yard is holding firm on a August 20th completion date so he proceeded with booking the freighter.

A few new photos show the boat has been moved to the final staging area for completion and the black bottom paint has been applied. The hull has the protective blue paper which will be removed prior to shrink wrapping the boat for shipping. In the second photo we can see the recently added drop down TV cabinet to port and an electrical termination panel forward.

So far so good!

John

Attachments

• Boe Aug 1.jpg
    Boe Aug 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 99
  • TV Drop Down Aug 1.jpg
    TV Drop Down Aug 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 98
Question: are you actually going to cruise this vessel - or flip it?

Progress Report August 2nd

In this photo we can see progress with the flybridge (FB) and just how large it will be for a 38'. Of course we are comparing the PB to the small two seat FB we had on our N40's. I believe the N40 FB was a second thought and limited to the small area above the PH due to the boats design.

With the H38E FB we have room for two pedestal seats (center and starboard) and a nice L-shaped seating area to port with a small fixed table. There is nice storage under the forward console which is always valuable. Since this boat has the low profile PH the FB is also low profile providing everything a FB offers but without the added windage. Behind all this is plenty of room for the 9' dingy and davit.

John

Attachments

• Aug 2nd Fly Bridge.jpg
    Aug 2nd Fly Bridge.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 86
Ownership

Question: are you actually going to cruise this vessel - or flip it?

Wow, interesting question. While we have enjoyed a few different trawlers over the past ten years and enjoy the build process we have never "flipped" a boat and have no plans in letting this one go any time soon. We put a lot of research and planning into this build and plan to use the boat on the west coast a few years before shipping her to the east coast and exploring the ICW. All this being said we recognize nothing in life is guaranteed thus we do not set any plans in stone.

John

If I'm not mistaken, looking at the pictures, the bridge controls are at the aft end of the
pilot house. Wouldn't that be called "bridge deck controls"?
I thought a flying bridge mounted over the fore end of the pilot house.
My Oxford Maritime Dictionary(?) is still packed from our move.

Ted

Bridge Controls

If I'm not mistaken, looking at the pictures, the bridge controls are at the aft end of the
pilot house. Wouldn't that be called "bridge deck controls"?
I thought a flying bridge mounted over the fore end of the pilot house.
My Oxford Maritime Dictionary(?) is still packed from our move.

Ted

Ted, great catch and I believe you are technically correct. Goes to show how relaxed we have become over the years with boating terms. Thanks

John

John,
Technicalities aside, I think you're going to have a delightful boat

Ted

Progress Report August 8 2016

Today we received another batch of photos showing nice progress as we start the home stretch to shipping day. I selected these two photo's of the galley / salon since they really shows off just how large this 38 footer is turning out. Its hard to believe how much open space there is with four people inside the boat, wow!

In other photo's (not posted) we can see the circuit panel has been installed and electrical wiring hanging all over the place. Since these photo's are almost a week old we think the yard will be finalizing electrical next week. Then start equipment installation.

Scott confirmed the boat leaves the yard on 8/20 for its trip to Shanghai then its off to Long Beach, CA. One change we had to deal with is the boat arriving in LB instead of SD. Not the end of the world and it actually provides us a nice 100 mile run south which we will use as a commissioning sea trial and training. We will be making the run with only a hand held VHF so the weather will need to be good (safety first) but this is the time of the year where we experience our best boating weather.

We have also been very busy with paperwork and coordinating everything that needs to come together before the boat ships. Next week Mary and I will to LB and check out a few shipyards for a few small commissioning tasks.

John

Attachments

• Salon Aug 7th.jpg
    Salon Aug 7th.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Salon View from aft Aug 7.jpg
    Salon View from aft Aug 7.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 132
I think you will conclude that you the opportunity to run your new boat south is a blessing. That stretch really doesn't require radar or a chart plotter or anything more than your handheld. Do you have to fuel up in Long Beach? If so, Jancovich is probably your best choice (IMO) (Jancovich bought and closed Mike's).

Last edited:
San Pedro / Long Beach

I think you will conclude that you the opportunity to run your new boat south is a blessing. That stretch really doesn't require radar or a chart plotter or anything more than your handheld. Do you have to fuel up in Long Beach? If so, Jancovich is probably your best choice (IMO) (Jancovich bought and closed Mike's).

We plan to take a drive to San Pedro / Long Beach this afternoon to see where the cargo container will tie up now that we know the shipping company. This port is one of the largest on the west coast and while we know we cannot enter the terminal area we should be able to get close. From there we will drive over to the yard we plan to use for the haul out. There are three options in the area but we are favoring Marina Shipyard based on recommendations from others who live in the area. I also like the fact this yard is south of the Queen Mary in Alamitos Bay and away from all the commercial traffic.

Assuming all goes as plan the boat should leave the yard one week from today. I think the next set of photo's will provide a level of confirmation that the boat is ready.

Last week was another tough one for Mary and I as we had to make the difficult decision to put down our beloved Daisy - our 16 1/2 year old dog. For us she was more than a pet, she was our family (we do not have kids) and my wife spoiled the heck out of her. We took her everywhere and she was with us on all three Nordhavn's (not always by choice). We will miss her not being on the new boat but will carry her memories with us. Loosing her only reminds us (again) how short life really is and the need to keep making memories.

John

I'm sorry about your Daisy..:(

Last week was another tough one for Mary and I as we had to make the difficult decision to put down our beloved Daisy - our 16 1/2 year old dog. For us she was more than a pet, she was our family (we do not have kids) and my wife spoiled the heck out of her. We took her everywhere and she was with us on all three Nordhavn's (not always by choice). We will miss her not being on the new boat but will carry her memories with us. Loosing her only reminds us (again) how short life really is and the need to keep making memories.

John

I think putting a pet down is especially difficult as you can't explain to them what is going on and you don't know what they are thinking nor are you sure whether they understand you. You simply hold them and comfort them best you can. You feel like they always trusted you to take care of them and somehow you've let them down, although you haven't. In fact you're taking care of them even then by keeping them from suffering and allowing them peace. Still terribly difficult.

I'm so very sorry to hear about Daisy. Losing a pet is one of the hardest things on the planet to go through. It sounds like she lived life to the fullest - a testament to the care and love you gave her over her very long run. I can guess that knowing she is now free of the pain and struggle that old age brings to all of us is of little consolation to you, but perhaps it offers some comfort. I hope memories of her will soon bring you joy instead of tears.

John, when you have the canvas work done, I'd recommend a fitted bridge cover. Of the 5 or 6, 38s here on the Chesapeake, we a the only one with it. It sure hs protected our instruments and upholstery. And for those who are following the heat wave we are currently experiencing, our cover has appreciably reduced the cooling load. A sister ship in Charleston could not get their cabin below 82 degrees. With the same AC unit we can easily keep the cabin in the very low 70s. I think the bridge cover helps. Cristina and I generally run the boat from the pilothouse anyway.

Progress Report

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to post about our beloved Daisy. It continues to be a difficult time for us both but mostly for Mary. We have identified a new puppy which we will see for the first time in two weeks and if all goes well we can pick up two weeks later. We know it is important not to find a dog to replace Daisy but rather look at the pup as a new dog and new chapter in our lives. One thing for sure is Mary doesn't want to be on the boat without a dog so it appears we will be getting a new pup soon.

Talk about timing its starting to look like the puppy will be ready the same week the boat gets to SD - wow. I'm not sure how all this will work out but we both need complex schedules and lots of things to do to keep us busy.

Scott was busy this week with representatives from the yard visiting up in Seattle but did report everything is tracking to complete the boat in a few days. We expect some new photos within a few days.

We confirmed which yard we will use for the haul out / quick commissioning and will start scheduling with the yard so not to lose any time once the boat is offloaded. One added twist is the decision by Scott to have new fresh new house batteries installed during commissioning. One thing I recall on one of new Nordhavns was the batteries being over one year old when we received the boat. I wasn't very happy about that but didn't make a bug deal about it.

All the financial coordination is lining up (the boat does need to be paid for before she leaves China) and I'm finalizing the insurance coverage start date.

Next step is to confirm the electronics package and get things ordered for a mid September installation in SD.

So far so good!

John

Back
Top Bottom