California Delta houseboat rental

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
My wife and I are thinking about renting a houseboat on the California delta this November, or this February (those are our open times for travel)

Does anybody know of a good outfit that rents houseboats. Yes I can google it :) but with all the local knowledge here someone has to be familiar with an outfit or marina.

Thanks!!!

Kevin,

I only have one anecdotal experience to pass on. A friend of a cousin rented a houseboat from Paradise Point Marina near Stockton, California. They enjoyed the experience. However, I don't have first-hand knowledge of them. Paradise Point's number is 209-952-1000.

Let us know your plans. FlyWright, me and others could possibly join you if you want company. The winter months are my favorite time in the Delta.

Thanks!

What kind of weather can we expect say the last week in October - first week in November???

Kevin,

A friend rented a Paradise Point HB for a week in July when we were watching fireworks. He rented the Cascade which was VERY basic and small. I boarded it to take a look out of curiosity. It would be fine for 2-3, but it's far from fancy. The only lines are a couple of dock lines and the anchor comes with a 60 ft line...no chain! Even the fenders were minimal size. He paid $1750 for the week. If you do it, let me know and I will loan you better ground tackle for the week.

They have a couple larger models that might be better equipped, but I wouldn't expect anything as clean, nice and comfortable as your boat.

Here's a link to their "Flagship".

Grand Sierra Houseboat | Paradise Point Marina

It'd be fun to meet up on the water with you and Giggitoni. Let us know via PM if you're interested.

The weather can vary greatly for that shoulder season, but no matter what, it's probably be nicer than Alaska that time of year!! :hide: I like that season as the winds are typically light and the temps moderate....lows in the mid 40-50s and high in the 60-high 70s. Rain, while a possibility, typically doesn't become a real threat until late Dec-April. Even if it rains, it typically stays in the moderate temps.

Last edited:
Also, it seems the rain pushes on through fairly quickly (2-3 days). It's not like it starts raining in December and stops in April! Some of our most memorable days boating in the Delta and Bay have been in January and February.

Houseboating in the California Delta

About the only place I know of that still rents houseboats in the California Delta is Paradise Point Marina. They have various sizes for rent. An earlier post listed their phone number.

Personally I would not want to spend my week or so of vacation in the Delta in February. You can get some glorious days then but you can also experience dense, cold, damp, ground fog which creates not only a less than stellar experience but also creates potential navigation problems. October on the other hand is generally good with pleasant weather and minimal wind. Early November you may start to experience some fog in the early morning hours but it usually burns off by 10 o'clock or so.

Last edited:
Paradise Point Marina has recently been somewhat in breakdown mode. In that; one of the primary sewage systems and complete fuel system broke down months ago with extensive construction repairs necessary that have yet to begin in earnest... due to engineering, building codes and other things.. 25 year restaurant on site has closed. Seems that rental house boats are still being cared for.

Paradise Point Marina has recently been somewhat in breakdown mode. In that; one of the primary sewage systems and complete fuel system broke down months ago with extensive construction repairs necessary that have yet to begin in earnest... due to engineering, building codes and other things.. 25 year restaurant on site has closed. Seems that rental house boats are still being cared for.

How sad, they have been a fixture in the Delta for as long as I can remember. I was really disturbed to see the abandoned Herman and Helen's a couple of weeks ago and now Paradise Point seems to heading that way. I guess there's nothing as constant as change.

How sad, they have been a fixture in the Delta for as long as I can remember. I was really disturbed to see the abandoned Herman and Helen's a couple of weeks ago and now Paradise Point seems to heading that way. I guess there's nothing as constant as change.

$$$ input required; environmental engineering concerns. I believe (hope) it will be corrected over time.

Herman and Helen's has been boarded up four +/- years. Long sad story I've heard behind that one.

King Isle marina seems to be having improvements accomplished.

Last edited:
Much of the Delta never has recovered from the economic downturn. If you have morbid curiosity regarding that take a trip to Bethel Island. A former jewel is now largely gone. What was formerly high end real estate now largely left for the meth addicts to strip the recyclables from.

On topic of the thread I "believe" Paradise Point is the last location still renting houseboats on the Delta. 30-40 years ago there where dozens.

We keep our boat at Willow West Marina on Piper Slough, Bethel Island and have been berthed at the island for more than 40 years overall. While the area has had its problems over the years, and no doubt there are probably problem houses, to say that "formerly high end real estate has been left for the meth addicts...." is, with respect, simply wrong. Moreover, the long stalled "Discovery Bay"-type development in the middle of Bethel Island is now fully underway with very expensive houses soon to be completed. As others have mentioned, the only house boat rental place is at Paradise Point. When you rent, think about stopping at Bethel Island's Rusty Porthole restaurant, for several years now serving excellent food in a unique "old Delta" setting.

Back
Top Bottom