a/c

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gonesailing13

Vessel Name
Graceful
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
Just noticed that my a/c unit isn't putting air as cold as it used to. I've taken in consideration of the heat outside but still doesn't explain the trouble. Is it possible to recharge one these units or do I have to call in someone. I did notice a valve similar to the one on a car a/c unit. I guessing that the intake on the refrigerant. ??

Marine air conditioning systems are very difficult to get charged right. Even the pros (well, using that term advisedly) screw it up sometimes.

David

I've always viewed them as water cooled window shakers. When problems develop beyond cleaning the coils, they're either under warranty or they're a throw away.

Ted

That being the case, how difficult are they to replace? Are they basically plug and play or do you need specific HVAC skills to install?

The key to understanding how well it is performing is the difference in temp between the return intake and the outlet. Should be > 15 degrees. A little IR thermometer does the trick.It was always something I had a pro work on. For one thing you need to know what refrigerant it uses and the pressure specs for your unit.

Recharging them is common, I have had mine done a couple of times I guess there is a very slow leak in one of the units. If you are in a marina ask around someone should know of a good tech.
I have tackled a lot of jobs on the boat, swapping out a marine Aircon. unit is not one I would touch mine are split systems.

Just noticed that my a/c unit isn't putting air as cold as it used to. I've taken in consideration of the heat outside but still doesn't explain the trouble. Is it possible to recharge one these units or do I have to call in someone. I did notice a valve similar to the one on a car a/c unit. I guessing that the intake on the refrigerant. ??

Some very basic checking is in order.

Do you have water flow in and through the condenser?

Is the water coming out.. 10 - 15 warmer when in the cooling cycle?

Is the discharge air 15- 20 colder then the air going in? (do this at the cooling coil after it's been running 10-15 minutes.

We have been having one of the hotter summers so far. good chance it's not keeping up with the high load.

Is there a filter in the air intake? :whistling:

Marine air conditioning systems are very difficult to get charged right. Even the pros (well, using that term advisedly) screw it up sometimes.

David

Pros that are too cheap/lazy to have the right equipment that is :D

Excellent summary(s) by Denise. The return air filter is a "usual suspect" and s/b a maintenance item.

That being the case, how difficult are they to replace? Are they basically plug and play or do you need specific HVAC skills to install?

If it's a self contained unit, they are plug and play. Electricity, water in and out, duct hook up, thermostat, and power to the water pump are the hook ups.

Ted

I am with Steve if you are in a boating town you can find good marine A/C companies. Had my checked and repaired last year while in Orange Beach and the guy was very up on marine a/c's not like some home a/c companies I have called.

I am with Steve if you are in a boating town you can find good marine A/C companies. Had my checked and repaired last year while in Orange Beach and the guy was very up on marine a/c's not like some home a/c companies I have called.

Fixing little units on boats is about like fixing window units. Nothing strange or unique except they are water cooled condensers. (Water to air & air to water) which any HVAC tech should know about. But truthfully many techs will not venture away from air to air systems.

Land based water cooled has pretty much disappeared from residential (small systems) but can still be found in large buildings. NEW! Geo thermal units are....guess what? Water source! not new just a new word.

The cost of service on small and tiny HVAC can easily be .25 - .50 % the cost of a new one. Same thing with boat ice box refrigeration.

What makes you think that recharging the unit would make a difference?

Assuming you are talking about a typical marine air conditioner, it is water cooled and the water flowing through it is much warmer in the summer than in the spring or fall. Warmer water makes it less efficient.

You should check your strainer to make sure you're getting full water flow and check the air filter to make sure you're getting full air flow.

If neither of these things help, you should call a qualified marine air conditioner technician and have him or her check the unit and make any necessary repairs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom