Fumigation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capstan

Vessel Name
Bad Monkey
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
Has anyone tented and fumigated their boat?
I got an approximate price today for our 43' while it's out of the water.
Just under $2,000. This is the same price our house cost for the same procedure!
Anybody with any other suggestions?

What in the wide wide world of sports are you trying to get rid of? Kinda hard to believe it goes beyond what a few bug bombs can handle.

Dead Bug Edwards did my boat,on the hard for $700.
It was out of the water in Pompano Beach (36 ft.)
He said in the water would be $1200. A year and a half
and still seems to be working.

A few bug bombs will do it.

Just read a report from one of our fire C&O guys where the insured hadn't turned off the a/c before using bug bombs. The air handler provided the ignition and the bug bombs the accelerant. Please shut everything off before using no the bug bombs.

i dont know what you are trying to get rid of but when i use to fumigate houses or help to back in the mid 80s was to get rid of beatels in the wood. the eggs of the bug would be in the wood when they sawed the logs into lumber and when the right temp. and humidity got togather the eggs would hatch.. then they would eat their way out from the inside of the wood creating holes and dust pine was really bad for this the soft woods. cans would not work for this

also the gas we used would penetrate so many inches of wood to kill any that hasnt hatched flowed kinda like a musturd gas heavy

Has anyone tented and fumigated their boat?
I got an approximate price today for our 43' while it's out of the water.
Just under $2,000. This is the same price our house cost for the same procedure!
Anybody with any other suggestions?

Still waiting to hear what you're trying to treat for, get rid of. That plays a huge role in what is necessary.

Still waiting to hear what you're trying to treat for, get rid of. That plays a huge role in what is necessary.

I bomb each spring for spiders but that's it and it works great.
Just a couple of the small spray cans from Lowes.

Depends on the bug, many argue that the solution injected in the walls is better than bombing.

Formosan or dry wood termite.
I'm sure it's not Formosan as they have been on board for a while. (I've been told by previous owner.}
I have already rebuilt all aft cabin drawers. The floor in the aft has been taken care of + all the plywood lining removed and replaced through 2/3rds of the boat.
Don't get me wrong they weren't in all these. I just found the signs of them in a few areas.
I am putting a new floor in Main and galley area anyway so I will be able to treat underneath as well.
At this price I will do myself by injection as I have "Termidor" on the island so I can inject easily.
I will take a whole day and make sure to get everywhere.
Glad the boat is made of glass!!

Dead Bug Edwards did my boat,on the hard for $700.
It was out of the water in Pompano Beach (36 ft.)
He said in the water would be $1200. A year and a half
and still seems to be working.

Same company. they went and looked today.
I get the final quote tomorrow.
Hmm probably 20% more volume for us but nearly 3 times the cost?
Business must be good.
I have heard that the "bad" termites are now in all the areas in Sth florida.
We have a friend in Lauderdale and he noticed the big Oak in their yard looked sick one day the following week it was pretty well dead. Had a guy come in and he asked if he should cut it down and the guy said "Yeah if you want the termites to start on the house"
So now they are hoping the new barrier they just put around the house was in before any of the termites were.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will get final tomorrow and let you know.
Good to know about the issues associated with the bombs. Now the bomb has two meanings!

Here is a site I would recommend. It will help you identify the type termite and potential treatment and baiting.

Termite Control | Do It Yourself Termite Control Products | Termite Treatments

Do you have wood coring?

If I was going to attempt to tent, I would remove the boat from the water. That will reduce your cost for the treatment, probably cost about the same overall, but I think have better odds.

Are the docks wood?

I have heard that the "bad" termites are now in all the areas in Sth florida.
We have a friend in Lauderdale and he noticed the big Oak in their yard looked sick one day the following week it was pretty well dead. .

We get regular termite treatment of house and yard for that reason. You can't predict the cycle and when they are going to hit and if you wait until they're visible, you've got a far more difficult issue to address. A lot of homes sold recently have been found to have termites and closing held up for treatment and evaluation.

Termidor injected works great. Caution on the application is that it is very, very, bad for aquatic life so I would suggest not "washing out" anywhere near water or letting it near your bilge pumps. (I have no financial interest in this product).

Termidor injected works great. Caution on the application is that it is very, very, bad for aquatic life so I would suggest not "washing out" anywhere near water or letting it near your bilge pumps. (I have no financial interest in this product).

Thanks Ulysses.
If we do this ourselves I will talk to the company that does the island about the product.
It wont be going over board -but good to know.

Termites on a fiberglass boat. I "get it" that there's a lot of wood on a glass boat more that I never made the connection before. Something not exactly intuitive to look for. Cool thread!

It's a death nail! If there is coring the boats' toast!

I had termites in my boat and tried all the bombs and concentrates myself to no avail. Then I had Fumeout, Inc. from ft.Pierce tent the boat while at the slip for $800. They gave a 1 year warranty and had to come back and tent the boat again...for free. They stand behind their service. I have a 30 ft. sportfisherman with outriggers that they worked around, all while in the water! Good folks...

I would assume that you found the "carton" (nest) in or behind the drawers. Termindor does not kill on contact but rather allows them to carry it back to wherever they are re-establishing their queen. Be prepared to clean up a lot of wings and dead ones after about a week. I believe the residual last for years. Good luck.

Perhaps someone who knows the pest industry can chime in as my experience is limited. In the Eastern Caribbean termites are a continual problem with many boats affected. Tenting does not seem to work as well as the liquid squirted into walls and into the bilge. My understanding is that tenting kills those termites who come in contact with the fumes and thus it is possible that some survive buried deep in the wood of the boat. The liquid bait however does not kill immediately but is spread as part of their food supply. It was explained to me that termites are social animals / insects and that the poison is spread by the termites themselves.

Perhaps someone who knows the pest industry can chime in as my experience is limited. In the Eastern Caribbean termites are a continual problem with many boats affected. Tenting does not seem to work as well as the liquid squirted into walls and into the bilge. My understanding is that tenting kills those termites who come in contact with the fumes and thus it is possible that some survive buried deep in the wood of the boat. The liquid bait however does not kill immediately but is spread as part of their food supply. It was explained to me that termites are social animals / insects and that the poison is spread by the termites themselves.

I think part of the difference in treatment and success is knowing they type of termite involved. This gives you the behavior and breeding information. Now to me a termite is a termite, but to the professionals they're all unique.

I wouldn't go that far, but if it has wood coring, then I'd be more inclined to get it hauled and tented.

It's a death nail! If there is coring the boats' toast!

Oh Jon don't be so gloomy!:rolleyes: Positive thoughts. Positive thoughts.
No the boats not dying. It's actually being brought back to life.

Also there is no need to have the boat out of the water for the spraying. There is no external timber and I can close the boat up with tape down 2 sliding windows, down back of 2 doors and over 2 engine room vents.
They also do tent the boats in the water. They are doing 165' boat next week!

So it is dry wood termites and they are a little harder to get rid of then Subterranean type. But they have small colonies so don't get through as much.
Have just spoken to the company that does the island and he said that when they come up for biannual work on the Island they will do the boat as well. For nothing:thumb: Very happy right now:rofl:
He said it may take a couple of times but that they have done plenty and it's not an issue.
I will do this just before I leave for Europe so the boat will sit sealed for 6 days. He said the longer the better
I guess from this thread and the people I've now spoken with it is not uncommon at all in the lower areas of the US and down through the Islands.

Another way I can get rid of them is to heat the boat above a certain temperature, I think 125, and it will kill them as they can't survive above that.
So maybe I will do this as well!

Aghhh all is right with the world!

115° F / 46° C265 Minutes120° F / 49° C33 Minutes125° F / 52° C10 Minutes130° F / 130° C6 Minutes1 more row, 1 more column

Heat is the most effective termite treatment to control drywood termites

www.thermapure.com/pest-services/termites/

k!

So it is dry wood termites and they are a little harder to get rid of then Subterranean type. But they have small colonies so don't get through as much.
Have just spoken to the company that does the island and he said that when they come up for biannual work on the Island they will do the boat as well. For nothing:thumb: Very happy right now:rofl:
He said it may take a couple of times but that they have done plenty and it's not an issue.
I will do this just before I leave for Europe so the boat will sit sealed for 6 days. He said the longer the better
I guess from this thread and the people I've now spoken with it is not uncommon at all in the lower areas of the US and down through the Islands.

That is all great news. Did he say how he intended to treat for them? And this is when you definitely tip, when he's just adding you on for free. I'm glad you're getting professional treatment.

That is all great news. Did he say how he intended to treat for them? And this is when you definitely tip, when he's just adding you on for free. I'm glad you're getting professional treatment.

Now let's be clear BandB "I AM Not" getting professional treatment!:blush:
It's for the boat.
They are going to use Termidor. It has not been passed in the US for inside spray which is, from what I gather, due to red tape as one of the products they also use has basically the same makeup and was passed a number of years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom