Smaller Trawler names?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Denise, if when searching Yacht World, you put the word "custom" in the search as the brand name you will come up with "orphans (as mentioned earlier) like this one that will likely sell for half of the asking price.

BP thanks I have found quite a few orphans. I must admit I'm liking downeast style semi displacement boats a tad more then the large boxy trawlers.

Every now and then a Nauset 28 comes to the market. I enjoy mine..

Attachments

• IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 54
Yes most real Albins (made in Sweden) are old and getting rough to very rough. But some like project boats. Probably no Rosbrorough project boats around as the Rosbrorough has'nt been around for long.

Rosborough is an established Nova Scotia builder that's been around since the 1950s. My sailing club bought one of their 18 foot open launches in the late 70s. Not sure when the rf246 came out, but I'm guessing in the early 1980s. They sold their pleasure boat line to a US company a few years ago. The originals were pretty basic, more work boat than yacht, but stoutly built. I see these older ones up for sale in eastern Canada from time to time,

what kind of rot have some of you found in some of these older pocket trawlers?

I would think the keel would be major concern.

Denise, if when searching Yacht World, you put the word "custom" in the search as the brand name you will come up with "orphans (as mentioned earlier) like this one that will likely sell for half of the asking price.

well.. not yet but It's really looking like I will go for an Albin 27 "someday"

I love this one.. still not sure about the aft cabin but I love the working mast! I'd more likely go for the sport type and extend back over the deck. (hard or soft not sure. I do not think I'm going to be a hardcore live aboard

5362382_20150825145332050_1_LARGE.jpg

Pontoons have gone from inexpensive $20,000 boats to some running over $100,000.

ForumRunner_20160718_182419.jpg

Think of what a nice trawler you could get for that amount of jack.
The price is a bit hard to see, but it's $118,387.

Last edited:
well.. not yet but It's really looking like I will go for an Albin 27 "someday"

I love this one.. still not sure about the aft cabin but I love the working mast! I'd more likely go for the sport type and extend back over the deck. (hard or soft not sure. I do not think I'm going to be a hardcore live aboard

5362382_20150825145332050_1_LARGE.jpg

Denise,
The aft cabin is very popular on the continent. I did'nt like ours but my wife loved it. She called it her "changing room". Also it's about the only way a couple that's not real kinky to cruise on a small boat. I have seen Albins w aft cabin removed. Very few are done w class though.

But I gotta have solid, non-wiggly rails when grabbed. Railings on boats seem to be a poorly designed afterthought for many builders.

Last edited:
Denise,
The aft cabin is very popular on the continent. I did'nt like ours but my wife loved it. She called it her "changing room". Also it's about the only way a couple that's not real kinky to cruise on a small boat. I have seen Albins w aft cabin removed. Very few are done w class though.

The larger center consoles now have a room in the middle which includes a head, a bunk, and a shower. It's often used as a changing room, the head used a lot but couples do use it for sleeping at times.

Denise,
The aft cabin is very popular on the continent. I did'nt like ours but my wife loved it. She called it her "". Also it's about the only way a couple that's not real kinky to cruise on a scruiseoat. I have seen Albins w aft cabin removed. Very few are done w class though.
They just look clustaphobia inducing and the port lights are non opening?

Albin A27

I'll chime in here as I have one on "the short list". I've had a '94 Albin 28 Tournament Express and currently have an '85 Albin A27. It's the A27 (built in the 80's and early '90's that can be acquired in the $ teens as Heron noted above. The A27 was made in two models. 1) A27 FC has an aft cabin as well as the cuddy forward. 2) A27 Sport - no rear cabin - just the cuddy cabin w/ v-berth, table, galley & head forward and a sizable back deck.

The A27 is 30 years old (give or take) and there are issues. When port-lights, windows, hatches, etc., were cut out at the factory the plywood was not sealed w resin, and they ALL LEAK. You will be replacing the rotten wood in these areas - or a previous owner has already done so. The pilothouse roof is actually screwed onto the cuddy cabin roof and is another infamous water ingress point. The fix is to lift, clean out, reseat & glass the pilothouse roof into the cuddy roof making it a single unit. If an A27 owner doesn't have these issues their boat was most likely either repaired before they purchased it or they are unaware of what lurks between the fiberglass.

We purchased our A27 Express with our eyes open and enjoyed it for 2 years "as-is" (it only leaked when it rained) before pulling the boat and going completely through it last winter. The repairs listed above, new windows, new topside paint, etc., etc. Doing everything ourselves made it affordable, but two separate boat yards quoted $40 - $50 k.

Don't get me wrong - the Albin A27 is a great boat, is exactly what we wanted, and we love it! Just recognize that there are issues that all of them have resulting from the original manufacturing process and father time.

Attachments

• IMG_1337[1].jpg
    IMG_1337[1].jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Skip Thanks! No matter how I search I keep coming back to the Albin 27! next step is to see some in real time.

Yes.. you need to be hands on.

Skip Thanks! No matter how I search I keep coming back to the Albin 27! next step is to see some in real time.

Yes.. you need to be hands on.

If you haven't already done so, be sure to join the Albinowners group. Reach out to owners in your area and you'd be amazed how proud they would be to show off their boats and maybe even take you on a cruise!

looking for info on Vagabonds...new member

I just signed up...having some difficulty with the site...how to use it.

I am about to buy a Vagabond and want to find other owners.

terraplane

terraplane, are you talking about buying a Nimble Vagabond? If so, I have some info for you.

I just signed up...having some difficulty with the site...how to use it.

I am about to buy a Vagabond and want to find other owners.

terraplane

Welcome. You will get used to the site and likely find it and it's users very helpful. Many of them, unlike me, have actual knowledge and experience they will happily share.

info appreciated

I am interested in a Vagabond...use would be on a river here...short trips of no more than a few hours...

terraplane

I have several pages of old Nimble sales literature that I will be happy to scan and send to you.PM me your email address.
Tom

PM

Thanks so much.

Where do I find the way to send a PM?

I am also looking for people who currently own Vagabonds...and any help would be appreciated. can't seem to find them on the site.

tom

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom