Carancahua Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txtig

My wife and I look at some waterfront lots this weekend on Carancahua Bay, near Palacios, Texas. This bay is just off of Matagorda Bay. Has anyone done any boating on Carancahua? The developers said it was deep enough for a 4-1/2 foot draft boat, but I'm kind of skeptical. Would appreciate feedback if anyone has boated in this area. Thanks.

I heard all the recent promo for that development on the Houston radio station...wondered exactly where it is located. Is it the peninsula on the East or West side of the bay entrance?

We used to drop the hook overnight on that North shoreline during the winter months, then take the dink up into Carancahua Bay to chase redfish. The entrance to the bay shifts a lot as Matagorda Bay throws a lot of silt that direction all summer. Marea draws 5' so never even thought about trying to entering the bay. I'd doubt you could safely navigate the entrance with anything but maybe a trailerable trawler.

It's north of the entrance to the Bay, on the eastern side. The new development is on a peninsula just above the area where Fivemile Draw empties into the Bay. There were some large dockable lots, but I didn't see any boats on the water that day. Made me wonder if you could get a decent size boat on there. I think it would make some great homesites for trawler owners if it's deep enough. Very pretty views.

My wife and I look at some waterfront lots this weekend on Carancahua Bay, near Palacios, Texas. This bay is just off of Matagorda Bay. Has anyone done any boating on Carancahua? The developers said it was deep enough for a 4-1/2 foot draft boat, but I'm kind of skeptical. Would appreciate feedback if anyone has boated in this area. Thanks.

My family has had a house on Carancahua for about 50 years. I thought about bringing my trawler in but the pass from Matagorda is pretty narrow, and I would have to anchor out almost 100 yards out in front of the house since it's so flat and shallow.

Are you talking about the lots on the canal development in Port Alto? Port Alto is where our house is, but it's bay front not on those canals.

Our house is at the red pin

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469481091.245407.jpg

Cardude - It's a little further north of your family's house and on the eastern shore. Brand new development. They had all of the lots staked out, and rough grading finished on the roads, but no paving yet. They're claiming the waterfront lots are "dockable" but they're not specific on the size of boats the water will accommodate.

Ahh. Gotcha. I would explore the bay in a little fishing boat first. It's pretty skinny.

I currently live on Carancahua Bay, on the East side of the development you are looking at. This bay is better suited for shallow bay boats. Palacios and Port Lavaca have dock space that will accommodate a trawler. I currently keep our trawler in Palacios. I would not consider taking it into Caranacahua Bay. However, the overall Matagorda Bay complex is a nice bay to cruise in.

Thanks for the responses. I'm interested in a finding a bayhouse for a retirement home where I could dock a 40ish foot trawler. Thought this might be a good fit. But, apparently not. Anyway, appreciate the feedback.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom