I transitioned to pleasure boating from.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I transitioned or I do the following today....

• My background includes military time on the water.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • My background includes time working on commercial boats.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • My background includes piloting aircraft.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • My background includes working as a paid licensed Captain.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • My background includes none of the above

Votes: 23 54.8%

• Total voters

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: Transition might not even be the right word, the real question is boating background. How many of you have a background working on commercial boats? How many have a military background? Also, because it seems rather common, how many of you are pilots? Or how many of you are or have been practicing captains for hire?

You may select more than one option.

30+ years deep sea on tankers, 20 of that as captain, owner of a day sailing charter schooner during that time The last 11 years as a fleet manager of great lakes bulk carriers and an oil tanker. Oh yeah... a graduate of Mass Maritime Academy

Can you say retirement?!

I am retired military, but army and nothing to do with the water. I voted non of the above.

As a teen, worked on commercial snapper boat in Fla, worked as a mate on a 6-pack charter boat. Ran a weekly charter in St Thomas for 3 seasons. Was in the USMC but only boat duty was trying to figure out how my pilot was going to land an F-4J on a carrier. Not too sure either the Kennedy or the Eisenhower really counts as boating, although I once got a ride in the Captain's gig. Spent more years than I wanted tied to a desk and a chair, neither of which floated!

Licensed captain since early 70s. Mostly research vessels, some passenger work, a bit of commercial fishing and a few deliveries. Retired from full time boat driving in 2014, keep my hand in the work world doing relief work and deliveries.

My background includes military time on the water.

My background includes time working on commercial boats.

My background includes piloting aircraft.

My background includes working as a paid licensed Captain.

Any lollipops for checking all the blocks? :D

Wifey B: Will a sucker suffice? :rolleyes:

Wifey B: Here you are..

lollipop-girl-1019213.jpg

Trying to hurt me? :D

The lollipop looks like a good 200 licks ...at least.....to finish it.

Won't comment about the delivery girl.:socool:..

Trying to hurt me? :D

The lollipop looks like a good 200 licks ...at least.....to finish it.

Won't comment about the delivery girl.:socool:..

Wifey B: Well, I did have to limit the lollipop girl to one acceptable here. :D

We are in the none of the above group. I've been around recreational boats all my life and she has been for the last 15 years. However, no military for either of us, no commercial, no airplanes, and while we both are licensed captains, she worded that carefully to only those who have done it for pay. Until 2012, we had done no coastal boating other than as a child I went deep sea fishing off the North Carolina coast. Then we moved to Florida and got carried away with our passion for boating. We did become licensed and it's been upgraded several times (First was Inland, 25 tons) but only for our own boating so not as a profession. Since 2012, we have covered around 60,000 nm. Around 3,500 engine hours. So a lot of experience in a very narrow segment of boats and in a relatively short time, although we did have a lot of lake boating before, averaging 70+ days a year.

Graduate of nautical college in Glasgow, Scotland.
Full time mariner on ocean tramp cargo ships, visiting every continent on the globe except Antarctica (although I did get a job offer on a research ship, my wife just said NO)
Employed as full time commercial Salvage Master for 10 years.
Transitioned ashore as a commercial ship surveyor.
Bought and ran a TowBoatUS operation for 10 years
Licensed private pilot for 20 years with instrument rating. Flew my own planes including a Rockwell Commander and later a Cirrus SR22.
Retired to live on my boat.
I need a sucker now.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Came to boating via sea kayaking, making the jump straight to our 30' Sundowner Tug, Badger.

My wife and I sea kayaked on BC's north coast in all seasons for years; our longest trip being the length of BC's coast for 6 months in 1992 (2 months in winter, 2 months in spring, and 2 months in summer/fall).

A car accident changed the rules to the game of life making it impossible for my wife to sea kayak. We got Badger to get back "out there" and so our young daughter could grow up knowing in her bones what an incredibly amazing and beautiful place this is.

When I moved from a house to a condo I had some free time. I took some sailing lessons on a nearby lake, 14 foot boats. The next year one of my co-workers came into my office and said "I hear you like to sail, want to come to the BVIs with my wife and I and charter a sailboat. I said OK. After five years of sailing in the BVIs and on other people's boats my wife and I bought a trawler. We like to go slow but we like our comforts.

Four years USN, much of it at sea, WestPac and southern Pacific all the way to Oz. Mostly recreational fishing for many years after that, with many boats in many different places. No formal licensing, (well, just one maybe, an initiation as an honorable shellback into the Solemn Mysteries of the Ancient Order of the Deep) aka The Domain of Neptunus Rex. Other than that, just practical experience, and learning something new every day.

Bill

Many lucky years of boating as a teenager, as well as loads of canoeing and kayaking. Went to NY Maritime after high school, got an unlimited tonnage mate's license. I've been sailing on Great Lakes freighters with the same company for 10 years now. Worked my way up to skipper, which I've been doing for all of a month now. I've browned several pairs of trousers, but I like the job. I was a powerboat owner for three years, and just sold out a few months ago. I'm saving my pennies for a while, getting my fix from the kayak, while I work out what's next.

No military time, commercial time, and very little piloting time. Been a licensed charter boat captain for 30+ years and counting. Did some pleasure boating as a kid in spite of my parents having no interest in boating. Was trying to figure out off the top of my head, how many days at sea I have. Best I can figure, I'm closing in on a decade of my life under way, making way.

Ted

none of the available choices.
My first memory of bots is from about 5 yrs old, rowing rental boats on Loon Lake, Maple Ridge BC to catch little trout.
then a home made 10' rowboat, then converted to sail on the same boat, it followed us around on summer camping trips, for a few years.
then a 17' Brandlmayr design runabout with 50 hp. That took us to the ocean and opened up a whole new world.
Then an Enterprise sailboat.
One summer on a 48' commercial fishboat. Alaska, Hecate Straight, Johnstone Straight, Springs, Coho, Pinks, fantastic boating education and experience, but NO SOCIAL life. Not good at 19 yrs old.'

Ownership!: 15' runabout, 50 hp, 1/2 interest;
Star, Really learned to sail!
Then a 30' cruising sailboat.
37' cruising sail
44' Power
racing on a Peterson 35 and a Farr 36, VARC series
Laser, racing
Kayaks
etc.

Last edited:
Ex military . 5 Years Coast Guard enlisted.
Licensed 34 years . Whale watching boats, yacht deliveries, booze cruise boats.
Owner of a Sea-Tow operation for 7 years.
Tugs on and off for 30 plus years. Currently Capt on tug based out of NY. Dredging, ship rescue, ocean towing.

Nothing big here, just push my barge around hammering in pilings.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469531449.678888.jpg

None of the above...just grew up w a runabout and always enjoyed being around boats and on the water.
Got the wife to give it a try and we now have a common passion for the water.

Back
Top Bottom