which is best: Nordhavn vs. Kadey Krogen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe a better option for the OP's intended uses? This full displacement Great Harbour N37 trawler is already in Hawaii and arrived there on her own bottom (story TrawlerNEWS_Hawaii1." I hear from reliable sources that she can be bought quite cheaply. Needs cosmetic work, but already set up from the factory as a one-of-a-kind commercial tuna fishing boat. (outriggers, shortened cabin roof, commercial ice maker and fish hold where bosun's locker would normally be, etc.) The original owner cruised her, quite literally, all over the Pacific.

Attachments

• photo_hookele.jpg
    photo_hookele.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 136
Heck if you can't find this rare 46 you could always go for the Nordhavn 75 Yachtfisher.

Some of you may remember when Hobo KK42 and owner, Larry M, had an equipment fetish that was nearly as bad as Oliver is with shoes. Larry's KK 42 was outfitted for almost any application, as indicated by this old avatar photo!

Attachments

• Hobo sport fish.jpg
    Hobo sport fish.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,109
N or KK is like asking a parent which kid they love the most.

N or KK is like asking a parent which kid they love the most.

Tug: I think that may be the very best analogy of all. And you know, the truth is that if you've got enough kids, you might have a Bayliner, a Mainship and a Little Harbor Whisper-Jet, all of which may be the better boat for a particular application.

Tug: I think that may be the very best analogy of all. And you know, the truth is that if you've got enough kids, you might have a Bayliner, a Mainship and a Little Harbor Whisper-Jet, all of which may be the better boat for a particular application.

+1

The 46' nordhavn is one of the worst laid out boats I've ever seen. Horrible use of space and stiff as a dead fish. Maybe a great sea boat but awful livability. If nordhavn get the 40'.

Can you be more specific about what you didn't like? Just curious. And what was stiff as a dead fish? Not sure what you mean by that.

Yes, please eleaborate jrs1958...

With sailboats, "stiff" means the boat resists heeling over due to wind pressure. Usually regarded as a good characteristic. The antonym, "tender", means the boat responds to wind by readily heeling over.
Not sure any of that is what jrs1958 meant. For starters the reference to a "dead fish" sounds uncomplimentary.

Dead fish

Not so sure it's uncomplimentary:)! Except for, arguably alive, oysters, I only eat dead fish. I agree there are compromises in the layout of the N46, some quite annoying, but many, if not most, are also present on the KK, at least the 42. Which, by the way, I think is a fantastic design. Having chosen between the two I will say that the N46 has a whole lot more storage. For me, the lack of KK42s in decent condition on the market when I was shopping, they are older, was a more significant driver than design differences. Dave

Stiff as a mackerel means all the inside furniture is fixed whereas most krogen's have free standing furniture like euro recliners etc. stay on a boat for months at a time and the fixed couches become uncomfortable quickly.
The layout on a N46 is like a maze. Up stairs down stairs around corners etc. lazzarette has a tiny hatch. No room for Stidd helm chair, etc.

Stiff as a mackerel means all the inside furniture is fixed whereas most krogen's have free standing furniture like euro recliners etc. stay on a boat for months at a time and the fixed couches become uncomfortable quickly.

Glad I asked. I would never have guessed that was the meaning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom