Georgian Bay Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trawlerpeople

Vessel Name
Gipsy Queen
Vessel Make
Gavin Summerhill 29
We finally got away and cruised up from Midland Ontario at the South end of Georgian Bay traveling to Killarney at the North end of Georgian Bay about 120nm as the crow flies or about 300nm if you followed us. We met many interesting people cruising these same waters and most were from the U.S.A. A group of five PDQ powerboats kept showing up along the way - many from Florida I think. We spoke to the owners of "Golden" named for their dog. Great people on a huge journey. If you were to loop up here, be sure to stop in to Byng Inlet, a little town called Britt were you will find St. Amants Marina. A great place to stop complete with fuel, a grocery store and restaurant, deep water at the docks and power. At Killarney we found many Americans but not from the South. They actually came East from Wisconsin for a holiday in the land of the pink granite cliffs, crystal clear water and pine trees seemingly growing right out of the rock. Killarney and the North Channel, a "must see" area of Canada.

Attachments

• Byng Inlet Outbound.jpg
    Byng Inlet Outbound.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I second that emotion! I have cruised this region for most of my adult life, and, like many other areas, one could explore this cruising ground for a lifetime, and not see it all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 195
Another shot (sorry, most of the great photos of this region are not on my iPad at the moment!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 110
It is an amazing area, but a bit unforgiving if you run aground though �� Don't miss this area if you are looping.
Arch

That's why I have a steel hull! Full-length keel, 3/4" steel plate 12" wide! ?

The Bad River anchorage is a must see. It was our favorite anchorage in Canada. The dinghy rides exploring the cuts coming into the anchorage are worth the trip.

Attachments

• A Bad river rapidsSDC15009.jpg
    A Bad river rapidsSDC15009.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 217
  • A Bad RiverIMG_6137.jpg
    A Bad RiverIMG_6137.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 314
  • SDC15023.jpg
    SDC15023.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 193
  • SDC15029.jpg
    SDC15029.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 216
One could easily spend a month or 3 gunkholing in the North Channel and Georgian Bay. There is a VERY well run outfit called Canadian Yacht Charters in Gore Bay, ON if you want to spend a week or two in the North Channel but can't take yours.

It can be a bit buggy at times, but the fresh air, fresh water, and general wilderness are wonderful.

When we go back I think we'll do Northern Lake Michigan towards the end of May, North Channel/Georgian Bay in June and July, followed by Lake Superior (North Shore primarily) in August.

This was May in the Benjamin Islands. The mosquitos were indeed large.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Beautiful area that most loopers don't ever see. We're only getting 10 days and could easily spend three or four times that much time. It's a beautiful area and beautiful people. Each town is just enough different too so that you get the different feels.

Back
Top Bottom