What did I do to my generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCook

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Dream Catcher
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37-065
New to me Nordic Tug 37, Northern Lights 8kw generator. Starts and runs fine, but seems to put out no juice. Worked fine in survey.

First boat I've had with a generator. Have started in ignorance w generator swiches off, shore power switches on. Now w gen switch properly on, still no juice.

Have I blown a diode or done some other damage? Could there be another switch or circuit breaker in the wrong position?

could be a breaker on the genny control panel. I always started my kohler unloaded then switched power from shore to genny.

As Bayview stated it is probably a breaker on the gen-set itself. Typically you would start the generator, let it warm up then go to the select switch and switch from shore and/or inverter to gen. power.

Capacitors? If one or both of the capacitors go belly up, get same symptoms. One or both of mine die every couple of years and have to be replaced. Then all is well again.

Last edited:
Your generator operation manual will have a troubleshooting section. Start there.
There will be a circuit breaker somewhere between the generator leads box and the shore/gen switch. Perhaps your NT has an electrical schematic drawing somewhere in the vessel manuals for the AC side to assist.

Newer boats are required to have a breaker between the gen and main electrical panel selector switch. A breaker is required for the shore power also. Usually by the shore power cord plug in.

With the breakers turned to shore power, start the gen set.
After about three minutes turn off the shore power breakers, there are two, and turn on the Gen Set breaker AND the second breaker that joins the second half of your electrical panel to the gen set power.

No capacitors on a NL 8kW. Check breakers, including any on gen control box. If no joy, there is a fuse on voltage regulator inside the box.

When you run the generator you need to tie both sides of the twin 30amp services together. Your breakers should look like this: ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469360453.498128.jpg

Problem solved

Thanks all for the helpful responses! Genny is working fine now. It was a circuit breaker on the generator's control box, somehow flipped to Off. All I had to do was flip to On.

IF any harm comes to a noisemaker while plugged into the dock, the boat is seriously wired wrong.

The transfer system , a switch or simply sockets the loads are plugged into should prevent any harm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom