Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why would anybody w even ultra basic skills need a grapple to make a landing. Most of the time it's almost as easy as point her at the float and cut power w a tiny bit of judgement and it's done. The bull rail even makes it easier yet. Tie anywhere and stepping onto the float is easier too as the bull rail makes like a stepping stool. Baugh ... The grapple is just a make a buck gadget for those w/o skills to make something really useful.
Al, just motor up to the float and tie one on!

Re the FB Al that's OK but I ain't putt'in it back on for you. You can have the open carry too.

Here are photos of an interesting boat I spyed back about 10-years ago in San Pedro.

Never took a super close look at it but I thought it looked pretty clean.

The name may be Frank K.

Perhaps its already been posted here or someone knows of the boat???

Attachments

• DSCN2806 (1).jpg
    DSCN2806 (1).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN2807.jpg
    DSCN2807.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 104
Quote:Here are photos of an interesting boat I spyed back about 10-years ago in San Pedro.

Up here in Alaska, these are recognized as 'Cannery Tenders' wonderful sea kindly coats. Not so many left but those that remain are being taken care of in reasonably levels.

Why would anybody w even ultra basic skills need a grapple to make a landing. Most of the time it's almost as easy as point her at the float and cut power w a tiny bit of judgement and it's done. The bull rail even makes it easier yet. Tie anywhere and stepping onto the float is easier too as the bull rail makes like a stepping stool. Baugh ... The grapple is just a make a buck gadget for those w/o skills to make something really useful.
Al, just motor up to the float and tie one on! {quote}

Well Eric,:flowers: I suppose given the challenge, I can single screw, no thrusters, handle a boat as well as any,yet, if I have an advantage that proves to be, then a sensible person would take it. :angel:I don't employ the grapple on every occasion, only those that address unique landings or spacing issues. If those make me w/o skills, so be it.:whistling:
Al

I've never seen a grapple used for docking, but sounds like a great idea! A heavy rubber coated with dull points can grab a cleat, especially for those of us who are bad at lassoing.

Last edited:
I've never seen a grapple used for docking, but sounds like a great idea! A heavy rubber coated with dull points can grab a cleat, especially for those of us who are bad at lassoing.

Not to bead a dead horse:horse: The grapple works with dock 'Bull Rails' not so much where cleats are involved. As past post have indicated, Bull Rails are common to the Pacific Northwest and Alaska.
This is not to say that given a finger float application with the opposite side unoccupied, would present a use of a grapple.
There are grapples on the market as you describe. other posters have posted pictures of same.
Regards,:flowers:
Al-Ketchikan

ɡrapəl/
verb
1. 1.
engage in a close fight or struggle without weapons; wrestle.
"passersby grappled with the man after the knife attack"
synonyms:
wrestle, struggle, tussle; More
</SPAN>
noun
1. 1.
an act of grappling.

I was hvy weight Greco "Grappler" in my younger days! Guess grabbing a bull rail with a grapple fits in there some where! :rofl: :D :thumb:

Go Al - GO!

Saw a few interesting boats in the past few days. The first is a boat I saw going through the Locks with us about two weeks ago. Couldn't get a shot of it then, but saw it yesterday in a small marina next to Fisherman's Terminal. It looks much better than my picture. Don't know what it is, but it was a really nice looking boat.

The second was a small boat tied up at the Pacific Shipyard in Ballard. A very beautifully made little wooden boat. BTW-if you are ever in SEattle, stop by Pacific Shipyard, it is an amazingly cool place. The owner collects old business signs, so the whole place is covered with old signs from businesses long gone in the Ballard area. Plus, the people there are really nice.

The third? Everybody here say to keep the water outside the boat.

Attachments

• Pretty Boat.jpg
    Pretty Boat.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Nice Boat 2.jpg
    Nice Boat 2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Nice Boat 1.jpg
    Nice Boat 1.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Water Inside.jpg
    Water Inside.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 90
Here are photos of an interesting boat I spyed back about 10-years ago in San Pedro.

Never took a super close look at it but I thought it looked pretty clean.

The name may be Frank K.

Perhaps its already been posted here or someone knows of the boat???
This tender looks familiar and is much the style of PNW and AK boats. Very nice, house looks rebuilt as this is a pretty old boat. Hull style is from the early 1900's, at least pre war WWII.

Why would anybody w even ultra basic skills need a grapple to make a landing. Most of the time it's almost as easy as point her at the float and cut power w a tiny bit of judgement and it's done. The bull rail even makes it easier yet. Tie anywhere...

Ahh, if only it were that easy. With my freeboard, I can't reach a bull rail. Just how would someone standing on deck, arms 7 or 8 feet above the water, thread a line through a bull rail down on a float 1 foot or less off the surface?

Even with my ultra basic skills, I can (usually) stop the boat where I need to. That's not the problem. Once stopped, the wind and/or current takes over. Unless those forces are 100% in my favor, someone needs to get at least one line over, fast, or we start drifting away.

I'm not saying I'd want to be tossing an iron hook around a marina. Just that I hate bull rails.

Saw this interesting boat today at the marina fuel dock. I had never seen a cruising " Shanty Boat " , the owners built it three years ago and are cruising down the Tennessee river from Knoxville headed for the Ohio river.
Marty if they dock at your marina you will see some very interesting wood work.
How about this little floating cottage in Thailand.
Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home - Page 3 - Boat Design Forums

...."Forget the Mekong…get whatever rig you want and stay on any of the many rivers in Thailand…I just sold a raft I lived on for four years on the Mae Klong River (think up and down from Kanchanaburi (Kwae Yai, Kwae Noi))…loved it, miss it…needed the dough or I'd still be there…many photos at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pramapro...03670784945714

50679d1291290724-retirement-houseboat-floating-home-1191-6-.jpg

50683d1291290900-retirement-houseboat-floating-home-2006-05-27-011.jpg

50684d1291290960-retirement-houseboat-floating-home-2007-03-09-02.jpg

I was hvy weight Greco "Grappler" in my younger days! Guess grabbing a bull rail with a grapple fits in there some where!]

Art a Greco grappler is one that consumes great quantities of ouzo.:D

Art a Greco grappler is one that consumes great quantities of ouzo.:D

Two best moves one of my Greco Wrestling coaches taught me:

1. On the matt: The "sit out" for getting away from initial bottom position!!! :thumb:

2. At the table: The "push away" for reaching weight before a match!! :ermm:

3. In general: The "walk away" for when too much "ouzo" (or other imbibes) are in play! :facepalm:

:popcorn: :D

How about this little floating cottage in Thailand.
Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home - Page 3 - Boat Design Forums

...."Forget the Mekong…get whatever rig you want and stay on any of the many rivers in Thailand…I just sold a raft I lived on for four years on the Mae Klong River (think up and down from Kanchanaburi (Kwae Yai, Kwae Noi))…loved it, miss it…needed the dough or I'd still be there…many photos at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pramapro...03670784945714

50679d1291290724-retirement-houseboat-floating-home-1191-6-.jpg

50683d1291290900-retirement-houseboat-floating-home-2006-05-27-011.jpg

50684d1291290960-retirement-houseboat-floating-home-2007-03-09-02.jpg

Well now, that just looks all sorts of pleasant.

not for me!!

on the ways next to me in Sointula
extra flotation and bow thruster??? but the tube is empty

Ted

Attachments

• IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 77
After all this silly stuff Ted this is a VERY interesting boat .. or should I say modification.

That thing probably acts like a bulbous bow lengthening the boat wave permitting higher speeds. Requiring more power to be sure. Do you know this boat and know if it was specifically for trim or is it one man's bulbous bow?

This looks like a marine railway ... not a grid .. Right?
Perhaps I should come up and paint my hull?

Last edited:
Hi Eric,
This is at Tarkanen Marine Ways in Sointula, there are 3 ways side-by-side here.
I'm hauled out here for zincs, antifouling, caulking touch-up etc.
That boat hauled out yesterday pm. I haven't talked to the owner, he's not around today.

Ted

tug Meteor

This is pic of the tug Meteor that my dad owned in the mid to late 50's. Heavy wood, with 2 110HP Washington engines. It was dads favorite of the nearly 20 tugs he owned and worked between Seattle and Alaska. I remember playing around on it as young kids, she was huge, to us, at 80 feet long, with that awesome steel fidley over the engines. Biggest tug dad owned. He chartered her out to a guy who promptly piled her up on the beach near Sand Point AK, where she burned up.

Attachments

• IMG_20141127_0001_0001.jpg
    IMG_20141127_0001_0001.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
This Navy whaleboat (wood) conversion had me all tied up in knots when I was a kid of about 10. It was moored at my Grand dads boat sales dock on Lake Union in Seattle for sale for $1000! Had a 30HP Palmer gas engine in it. Pop said sorry boy, no can do. Here it is later on the lake, looks like sans engine the way she sits. It also had a mast and boom fish boat style when I wanted it. The Sea Hawk III.

Attachments

• IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 130
Our dock neighbor this morning.

S/V Adventuress
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469373343.340430.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469841192.404906.jpg

I passed this unusual creature in the Cuyahoga River the other day. They were using it to inspect a lift bridge.

Looks like the Battlestar Galactica to me.

Adventuress

This was taken in Seattle shortly after arriving from San Francisco. My grandfather O.H. "Doc" Freeman nearest the bow in black. This was late 40's or early 50's I think. She looks a little different today!

Attachments

• IMG_20160729_0001_NEW.jpg
    IMG_20160729_0001_NEW.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 112
78-Doc Freeman was your grandfather? I knew his old place right under the Aurora Bridge before it closed. Didn't he own part of the Virginia V steamship at one time?

Back
Top Bottom