Tad Roberts to receive Lifetime Achievement Award at Port Townsend WBF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QB

Vessel Name
Skookum Maru
Vessel Make
Ed Monk design #1924
Tad is way too modest to mention this himself, so I will: the Northwest Maritime Center is honoring him this year with its Lifetime Achievement Award. The presentation will be at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival on September 8.

Those of you who have got to know Tad a bit on this forum have some understanding of how richly deserved this award is.

http://nwmaritime.org/events/wooden-boat-festival/

:thumb: :thumb: Congrats, Tad! We're fortunate to have your participation here on Trawler Forum.

I hope someone gets a video of the award presentation.

Lifetime? Tell us you're not retiring!!!!!

Add me to the list of forumites who really appreciate Tad's thoughtful, authoritative advice. He's the guy who wades into online disagreements and settles them with knowledge and experience you can take to the bank. He ought to get a TF award. ;)

Well deserved! Congratulations Tad!

Ted

Tad - You're the man! Thank you for all the knowledge you share on TF. Great that you are getting a lifetime reward for your efforts and know-how. If a video becomes available of the award ceremony... please post it on this forum. :thumb:

Congratulations Tad!

We only have one NA on the forum and how'ed we get so lucky to have/get Tad. Always the gentleman and always with great info, photos and advice. We would literally be somewhat lost without him.

Congratulations Tad.

Add me to the list of forumites who really appreciate Tad's thoughtful, authoritative advice. He's the guy who wades into online disagreements and settles them with knowledge and experience you can take to the bank. He ought to get a TF award. ;)

Well said, angus99.
Congratulations Tad

Can't say more than has already been said-but big congrats to Tad and certainly well deserved! And thanks so much for the time you take to be such a meaningful contributor here!

And have to say, just from knowing you here, you remind me of an NA I had the pleasure to work with several years before his passing-William Crealock. true gentlemen with a lifetime of knowledge and the willingness to share it.

Thank you Paul for posting this, and thanks to everyone else for the kind wishes. I do appreciate it. For anyone able you are all welcome at the presentation, it's at 5:00 on Thursday evening, the 8th of September. Also at the festival on Friday at 1:15 I'll be taking part in a Q&A panel on yacht design hosted by Jay Benford. Sam Devlin will be there as well as one or two others, it will be interesting. Bring your hard questions.

Oh and I see this as a "time to get serious" award. I hope I can just keep working for another 20-30 years. That will reduce somewhat the pile of things I'd like to try.

Last edited:
Thank you Paul for posting this, and thanks to everyone else for the kind wishes. I do appreciate it. For anyone able you are all welcome at the presentation, it's at 5:00 on Thursday evening, the 8th of September. Also at the festival on Friday at 1:15 I'll be taking part in a Q&A panel on yacht design hosted by Jay Benford. Sam Devlin will be there as well as one or two others, it will be interesting. Bring your hard questions.

Oh and I see this as a "time to get serious" award. I hope I can just keep working for another 20-30 years. That will reduce somewhat the pile of things I'd like to try.

That would be a really interesting Q&A panel. I'd definitely go if I was in the right half of the continent.

Thanks all around for everything you've contributed here on TF, Tad. Sincere congratulations on a well deserved award. Wow, you Benford and Devlin on the same panel......wish I could be there. The first question I'd ask is: What's your all time favorite boat?"

I,ll Chime in also with well deserved congratulations.
You have cleared up more than a few things.

Congratulations!

And as others have said, thank you very much for taking the time to post.

Having someone with your experience and knowledge base on a public forum like this is invaluable.

Thank you, thank you!

Thanks all around for everything you've contributed here on TF, Tad. Sincere congratulations on a well deserved award. Wow, you Benford and Devlin on the same panel......wish I could be there. The first question I'd ask is: What's your all time favorite boat?"

Great question. Sump'n tells me a Trumpy makes the TR greatest hits list. :popcorn:

Congrats Tad. A well deserved award.

Yeah. We now have a member who's famous, sorta... :socool: :D

Tad

Although I'd love to be at the ceremonies that is not in the cards for me. So... I will here ask a multi-layered/trade-off question for you to ponder as something that might be on the minds of many at the gathering. This is always on my mind as I head toward years when I should be able to cruise the coast in a power boat (maybe with a steading sail).

What do you feel is the best overall (maybe intermixed) hull design for costal cruising that affords sea going comfort, good handling in weather conditions, and relative fuel efficiency at hull speed or just below?

Sure hope there is a adept video making person attending the event that enables various excerpts to become available for viewing.

Have a blast!

Art

Well I can't speak for the others, my all time favorite boat(s) are the two I have now. One designed by myself and the other designed by Douglass and Wavel Urry in 1927.

It's a bit like asking about your favorite child, that question can't be answered. I know a whole bunch of really wonderful boats a bit too well to choose between them. Usually the favorite boat of the day is the one I'm writing about or drawing today.

Congratulations Tad. I may well be there. Haven't been to the PT wooden boat festival in a while, and was thinking of going this year.

To really appreciate Tad's body of work go to his website and read his blog. blog.tadroberts.ca

Back
Top Bottom