I wonder what ever happened to old what's his name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
I was just going through some of the old threads and was surprised to see how many of those eminent posters are no longer around.

Like many, I 'lurked here' for a considerable period of time before summing up the courage to dive in with these types.

A fair number of the early members were a mixture of hardened old salts, knowledgeable guru's, cantankerous experts & professorial gentlemen who gazed down at us enthusiastic amateurs from considerable heights, sometime with barley concealed amusement at the shallowness of our opinions or observations.

They taught us a thing or two.

I do miss them (well most of them). :rolleyes:

You mean like Rick B?

One of the most eminently qualified persons to opine on yacht systems?

With a steam motor gas turbine chief engineering license?

And teaches marine engineering courses?

He's retired from being a technical consultant with the world's largest and oldest recreational marine company and now has his own consulting service for yacht refits.

Yep, he was the Guru's Guru alright. I do remember one poster being unwise enough to opinion a different view on some hull speed calculation that lost me in the first sentence.

Rick B's reply was the length of War & Peace, a technical masterpiece, no opinions, just facts figures and graphs(not that I understood much of the physics involved). But I do remember being very impressed that here was someone who truly seemed to know exactly what they were talking about.

I doubt that even Marin would have argued the point with Rick- well maybe.

greetings,
Mr. AG. Being hospitality officer you may have an "in" with the mods. I'm sure they can offer a complete and private explanation. By the way, scraping paint is not what it seems to be...

"I wonder what ever happened to old what's his name?"

Did you say Marin?

Attachments

• Laperopuse.jpg
    Laperopuse.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 115
"I wonder what ever happened to old what's his name?"

Did you say Marin?

Is that Marin? I thought he had a GB 36. That's quite a wessel there!

Thankfully this board has incredible depth in the professional department that make the point without condescension or insults. Far more depth than the vast majority of casual readers will ever appreciate.

Take it from someone who used to be charged with cleaning up the mess none of you are ever privy to, some folks ain't worth the drama. For the record I was their biggest, staunchest advocate behind the scenes but sometimes you're left with no choice but to take action. I will say that the ONLY way anyone can ever be banned short of owner intervention is by a 100% unanimous vote of every single member of the Site Team which with the intentionally diverse mixture of members composing it is an incredibly high bar to cross.

I've read Craig's post three times.
I can't figure where it came from or is going but that doesn't matter.

I have to agree with the following, though, about the depth.
From submarines to frozen dinners to dung beetles, I am constantly amazed at the breadth of knowledge shared.

Thankfully this board has incredible depth in the professional department that make the point without condescension or insults. Far more depth than the vast majority of casual readers will ever appreciate.

All one needs to do is spend a bit of time on a right fighting biker forum to appreciate the personality of TF. So refreshing to see people disagree and laugh about it.

No hidden meaning Hawg, I used to be a moderator here. I resigned a couple years ago.

All one needs to do is spend a bit of time on a right fighting biker forum to appreciate the personality of TF. So refreshing to see people disagree and laugh about it.

Vitriol? Just bring up weed, religion, police actions or the speed limit on the shooting forum I visit and stand back! Members get temporarily, and sometimes permanently, banned for their comments in those threads. It gets ugly, fast.

TF is very mellow in comparison.

:thumb::thumb:

Before my tenure here I previously moderated a Christian Apologetics forum. I averaged two permanent bans per day with zero peer oversight as it was so common. Deleted posts and closed threads where near constant. Trolling was outta control.

You have to work your arse off to get the boot from TF.

BaltimoreLurker; said:
Members get temporarily, and sometimes permanently, banned for their comments in those threads. It gets ugly, fast. TF is very mellow in comparison.
:iagree:
I belonged to one that was pretty much like TF for a long time. Lots of real solid folks with experience and knowledge to share. Cool place.

Then it changed hands several times until one control freak got it and regularly used the bozo and ban buttons to win arguments. In fact he liked to stir it up just so he could ban people. His old man was a long time Harley guy. All junior could run was a chickster so I think that was the deal. Size mattered...

I will say that the ONLY way anyone can ever be banned short of owner intervention is by a 100% unanimous vote of every single member of the Site Team which with the intentionally diverse mixture of members composing it is an incredibly high bar to cross.

You have to work your arse off to get the boot from TF.

Then I can only be proud that it took an USN ex-submariner A-Ganger to get over that bar.

Vitriol? Just bring up weed, religion, police actions or the speed limit on the shooting forum I visit and stand back! Members get temporarily, and sometimes permanently, banned for their comments in those threads. It gets ugly, fast.

My kid once ended up on the front page of Sailing Anarchy because they used a photo of him sailing at a regatta for the article on it. His coach sent him a screenshot.

He was bummed when I told him he could see the front page but that he wasn't allowed to read any other part of the site. It's a different place.

I must say this place is pretty calm and kind.

Wifey B:

Whatever Happened to Randolph Scott?

Everybody knows when you go to the show
You can't take the kids along
You've gotta read the paper and know the code
Of G, PG and are and X
You gotta know what the movie's about
Before you even go
Tex Ritter's gone and Disney's dead
The screen is filled with sex.

Whatever happened to Randolph Scott
Ridin' the range alone
Whatever happened to Gene and Tex
And Roy and Rex, the Durango Kid
His horse, plain as can be
Has happened to the best of me.

Everbody's tryin' to make a comment
About our doubts and fears
True Grit's the only movie
I've really understood in years
You gotta take your analyst along
To see if it's fit to see

Ridin' the range alone
Whatever happened to Gene and Tex
And Roy and Rex, the Durango Kid
His horse, plain as can be

Whatever happened to Johnny Mack Brown
And Alan "Rocky" Lane
Whatever happened to Lash LaRue
I'd love to see them again
Whatever happened to Smiley Burnett
Tim Holt and Gene Autry
Whatever happened to all of these

Whatever happened to all of these

Last edited:
Then I can only be proud that it took an USN ex-submariner A-Ganger to get over that bar.

Ah A gang, at some point in my frigate days they got combined with E Div, so it became A/E.

We nicked name them the division of accidents and excuses....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom