Thread: Survey Time
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #15
boatpoker
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Can I ask this? Is there a particular reason to do an engine survey right off the bat? Are there any red flags that made you decide to do one before the purchase survey? If I might suggest... Get through Eberly's (I assume) regular survey. He will give your engine a run through of the basics (and run it at WOT until the temp levels off or it overheats ). If he sees something, he will tell you. Also, before you get to the survey, ask the seller if you can take oil samples yourself. Goto Northern Tool and buy a few cheap vac pumps (I used 5). Take the samples to Gregory Poole in Raleigh (or give them to me, I will be happy to take them for you) and let them do a sample test for about $8 each. Their lab is onsite and you will have the results in a matter of hours. THEN, if something shows up, give Deaton's or Coastal Diesel a call for a full engine survey.

I was quoted $800-ish per motor and was told by the people I was going to hire to do the engine-only survey, that unless there appears to be a reason to do one and you know the engine has had regular service, to just do an oil test and see what it says first. Otherwise, while they would take my money if I really wanted to give it to him, it would be a bit of a waste. Especially on a low-hour boat. This isn't a bulldozer with tens-of-thousands of hours in a dirt hole. Boat engines live a life of luxury compared to those.

Now... that said... I knew, and talked to at great length, the people that have serviced that motor for the previous owner before I bought it. I also talked to several experts on that particular engine, so I knew enough to make my own decision on the purchase. All I am saying is that you should think hard about just getting an engine survey by default. But hey... If you can afford it. It's your gig.
+2
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote