Are inflatable kayaks any good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keith that's great ....

The bounce dink.
The pop up dink.
The breaching dink.

Why not just a painter?

Keith that's great ....

The bounce dink.
The pop up dink.
The breaching dink.

Why not just a painter?
Hahaha...I was wondering what the mast and boom are for then remembered, he lives on Saltspring Island; he'll get there.:whistling:

"Swim step" seems a silly name as I assume most everybody dos'nt swim off the swim step on their boat.

Maybe up there but it is extremely common in warm water climes.

caltex,
Indeed ... I did make that assumption.
But the name applies to all of us.

My wife bought one of these a couple of years ago and pronounced it a good compromise between a hard kayak and a Sevylor type.

Has a frame. Tracks and paddles reasonably well. Stows in the lazarette.

ADVANCEDFRAME® KAYAK: AE1012 | Advanced Elements

Last edited:
My wife bought one of these a couple of years ago and pronounced it a good compromise between a hard kayak and a Sevylor type.

Tracks and paddles reasonably well. Stows in the lazararette.

http://www.advancedelements.com/day-touring-inflatable-kayaks/inflatable-kayak-ae1012/

We've been seeing more and more of those up here, and everyone we talked to liked theirs, so we bought one. We find we like it too, and now plan to buy another. It doesn't have the space or speed for multiday touring, but for gunkholing where the big boat won't go, it's great. Comfortable, stable, high quality construction. Not self bailing, but the coaming holds a skirt well if you anticipate conditions where that may be an issue.

We have two custom solo composite hardshell kayaks, two Advanced Elements Convertible tandem kayaks, and two inexpensive Sea Eagle tandem kayaks. We have paddled some in the solos ( many trips including 6 days in the San Juans, but not much compared to serious paddlers), we have put many miles on the Advanced Elements convertibles, and the Sea Eagles are lake toys for the grandkids.
The solos are wonderful to paddle and challenging to stow on the boat without banging into the sides and are even more challenging to get in and out of, from either the side doors or the swim step if there is any chop. We transport them on the car, not the boat.
The Advanced Element convertibles have a deck cover that provides for spray skirts, and we use a keel tube for improved tracking. We keep one inflated on the boat all the time stowed on the upper side deck, and we use blocks and tackle to lower it to beside the side boarding door and step into it. Wonderful stability. We paddle almost every day and we use it more than the dinghy. 10 knots of wind, no problem downwind, crosswind, or upwind. 15 knots, we only paddle upwind so we can drift back. More than that we take the dinghy or stay on the boat. We keep the second one deflated on the boat and inflate it for guests.
The Sea Eagles are cheap ones and are water toys. Two strong paddlers could get across a lake if they had to, but two strong paddlers who knew what they were doing, wouldn't be in these. However, Sea Eagle does make a couple of pretty good models.
It really depends on what you want them for. A test paddle of the various makes and models would be strongly recommended.

Eric:
nmuir,
I do like the Airfusion kayak.
One must insert aluminum tubes into the kayak to assemble? Will it last in the sun if left set up on deck?
Yes, one aluminum tube bow to stern on the bottom slots into two end uprights, then another top tube in the bow. I think youtube videos show the assembly.

We leave ours out on the trawler bow deck when cruising and they seem to be fine so far for sun damage after 2 years, though I expect year's worth of continuous sun would take a toll just like a RIB. To hoist them up we pull the bow up with the painter, then lift them up over the rail onto the deck. At 35 pounds no big issue.

Back
Top Bottom