Benford Fantail 38 resurrection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love the ceiling as well. That whole space looks really cozy.:thumb:

That looks fantastic.

vqGeMsr.gif

Latest completed projects - rebuilt cockpit deck with scuppers, gutters on all three lockers, new propane locker for two 20lb. tanks, new 12X13' bimini and stern rails and an interesting rudder modification that works amazingly well at Our New Boat

Poker: Reviewing those blog photos was a real pleasure. It's darned amazing what you and the Admiral have done with that boat. It may be a lot of work, but the boat is such a unique specimen, she needs to be the proud lady you are making out of it. Great work!

BTW, I hope you're sending Jay Benford some photos. He's accessible and he'd love to see one of his designs getting that kind of care and attention.

Last edited:
Poker: Reviewing those blog photos was a real pleasure. It's darned amazing what you and the Admiral have done with that boat. It may be a lot of work, but the boat is such a unique specimen, she needs to be the proud lady you are making out of it. Great work!

BTW, I hope you're sending Jay Benford some photos. He's accessible and he'd love to see one of his designs getting that kind of care and attention.

Great idea, thanks. I sent a link to Jay.

Beautiful work, BP! Now that you've got that nice canvas, maybe it's time for a new avatar! I bet a good side shot will highlight her new lines.

From one non-conformist to another...bravo! I'm stealing your indirect lighting idea. ?

#1 Canoe stern.

#2 Fantail stern

#3 Bath tub stern

Attachments

• STH71898 copy.jpg
    STH71898 copy.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCF0151 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0151 copy 2.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 232
  • willard 001 copy.jpg
    willard 001 copy.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 291
When you're done with this one, can you build one just like it for me please?

Larry I've been in contact with Jay, he is very interested in what we've been doing with his design. He seems like the kind of guy I'd like to sit and have a beer with and has invited us to stop by on our way south. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
BP, Truly a great job: very impressive. It is done to my taste. The fabric on the dinette is particularly nice. Beautiful!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

What an incredible conception, gestation and delivery.
How proud you two must be.
Time to start planning a second?

Larry I've been in contact with Jay, he is very interested in what we've been doing with his design. He seems like the kind of guy I'd like to sit and have a beer with and has invited us to stop by on our way south. Thanks for the suggestion.

That's so good for the both of you, Poker. I've had the privilege in speaking to Jay Benford twice regarding his FL Bay Coaster designs. He's an amiable sort and appreciates anyone who values his designs. If I were still a Baltimoron, I'd buy a beer for the both of ya's.

Our New Boat Update .... Entire hydraulic steering/autopilot system replaced, an ugly horrible, expensive story that took five weeks and cost a small fortune, I'm going to forget about that one as fast as I can.

My "pump room" is almost finished and I'll post photos of that soon. All pumps and plumbing controls are in one compartment and that's working out quite well. The cockpit upholstery, propane locker, Adirondack back and cedar table are finished along with a new bow rail, stanchions and life lines ..... and a 55lb. Rocna hanging off the bow. 23 days to cast off :)

Attachments

• cockpit 3.JPG
    cockpit 3.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Bow rail.jpg
    Bow rail.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 109
Wallace, it's pretty amazing to me what you've done with your boat. You have some impressive knowledge, skills and a very helpful wife in Sharon! An impressive transformation.

What's the plan after day 23? N, S, E or W?

Wallace, it's pretty amazing to me what you've done with your boat. You have some impressive knowledge, skills and a very helpful wife in Sharon! An impressive transformation.

What's the plan after day 23? N, S, E or W?

South + palm trees + beaches, Delaware, Chesapeake, Wicomico, Potomac, Dismal Swamp the St.Mary's, the St.Johns, Abacos, Eluthera ....... :rofl:

Sure love your boat.
What's the engine and displacement?
I like the dinette and wish we had one. They are kinda like the kitchen in a house .. The center of everything re people is always there. But I'm w you and I want to go boating again too.
Also think your rudder is interesting. Vented like a slotted wing flap? A bit like the "Y" type but different. Different always draws me in.

South + palm trees + beaches, Delaware, Chesapeake, Wicomico, Potomac, Dismal Swamp the St.Mary's, the St.Johns, Abacos, Eluthera .......
.....SW through the Keys, across the Gulf, through the canal, up the coast where you collect fair market for her and a handsome delivery remuneration.

But, if you need to cut it short and get back to start the next project, I have access to a slip in Cartagena.

Sure love your boat.
What's the engine and displacement?
I like the dinette and wish we had one. They are kinda like the kitchen in a house .. The center of everything re people is always there. But I'm w you and I want to go boating again too.
Also think your rudder is interesting. Vented like a slotted wing flap? A bit like the "Y" type but different. Different always draws me in.

she weighs 20,000lbs and runs 3/4gph at 7.2knots on Westerbeke 55A (mitsubishi). I am thrilled with how well the rudder works, not bad for a wild ass guess :)

Last edited:
.....SW through the Keys, across the Gulf, through the canal, up the coast where you collect fair market for her and a handsome delivery remuneration.

But, if you need to cut it short and get back to start the next project, I have access to a slip in Cartagena.

This is my third total rebuild ...... I'm done .... not for sale at any price :)

Pump room finished. Builders take note ... All plumbing in one easily accessible compartment

Old helm and new helm, Just need a little bit of trim but we'll complete that enroute to the Bahamas.

This weeks task is to modify the boom to lift the dinghy up on the trunk. As soon as thats done ... we're outahere :)

Attachments

• pump house.JPG
    pump house.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 220
  • helm.JPG
    helm.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 189
  • fantail helm.jpg
    fantail helm.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 189
Sure wish my pump room looked that way, in fact I wish that any of my machinery spaces looked that way! Now for the benefits......some serious cruising!

Your "pump room" is a thing of beauty! That represents a whole lot of work.

Don't you love it when a plan comes together?

South + palm trees + beaches, Delaware, Chesapeake, Wicomico, Potomac, Dismal Swamp the St.Mary's, the St.Johns, Abacos, Eluthera ....... :rofl:

When do you think you will reach the lower Chesapeake? Would like to see the boat underway.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom