Ran into bridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearlwindham

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Willie Pearl
Vessel Make
Seahorse 54 Sedan
I'm at the Seattle canal boat yard and need some fiberglass work anyone recommended glassman. Ran into a steel bridge left autopilot on and as we went under the bridge auto took us hard starboard and bounced off piling :facepalm:

I'm at the Seattle canal boat yard and need some fiberglass work anyone recommended glassman. Ran into a steel bridge left autopilot on and as we went under the bridge auto took us hard starboard and bounced off piling :facepalm:

Metal bridges and Autopilots do not co-exist well......

Why I don't let the computer talk to the autopilot in close quarters.
It will decide to correct cross track error by making an abrupt turn to reclaim that 30ft (or whatever limit it is set for) without warning you first.

Yep, no AP when going under bridges. I watch the heading sensor readout and seen it swing 30deg under a steel bridge. Concrete bridges usually just a few deg. That thing about magnetics...

Pacific Fiberglass is a great shop to work with.

A friend of mine used to take his Black Watch 28 through Woods Hole, MA, on autopilot. Some of you may know that there are two channels through the Hole, with lots of tide and large rocks right in the middle. Eye opening for me, but he never took his eyes off the situation. (He was a private pilot, an expert long distance glider pilot and a thoracic surgeon.)

Pacific Fiberglass is a great shop to work

Thanks for the heads up we begin repair wednseday with Paul at Northwest.......Pacific came out and looked but would not give me an estimate....great guy but I still would like to know what to expect. I understand can't quote what you can't see but where is the experience and expertise.

Have found swirling currents caused by bridge piers to be more than a bother than any magnetism affecting the autopilot. Regardless, constant attention is needed.

More of an effect on low bridges, where the steel is close. That bridge is not very low!!!

We've plenty of low bridges, even lower than these:

Even without autopilot passing under bridges can be interesting. Often located at a narrow between 2 land masses, the tide flow can be concentrated/accelerated.One time the boat flicked sideways unexpectedly, a throttle blast regained control, ever since when going under the Brooklyn Railway Bridge I have one hand on the throttle levers. Autopilot would be too risky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom