View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #200
Steve Bedford

City: Burgess, VA
9 times out of 10, the anchor will settle to one side or the other. The one remaining time is on the center of the fluke. Either direction provides immediate seabed penetration. The PS test may not have had the full range of sizes that we have now. My anchors now range in size from 7lbs to 115 lbs. Our history has always been to not skimp on size and weight. Most anchoring "experts" agree that it is best to have the largest possible anchor you, your vessel, and your equipment can handle. We do not undersize for sure.

Regarding a smaller or lighter anchor digging deeper than perhaps a larger or heavier anchor, my opinion is more to the anchor design and setting technique. If the design of anchor is such that it accentuates deeper penetration under load then it will dig deeper. If the anchor design is not the most conducive to digging deeper under strain then it does not matter the weight or size of the anchor. In soft mud and ooze a heavier anchor, designed well, will begin to penetrate before the setting process begins.

As I have said in the past, there are many excellent anchors out there for the consumer to choose from. I will not discredit any other anchor or criticize an owner for their choice of anchor. All I can do is report on and promote the qualities of our anchor (which I believe are excellent) and allow the consumer to decide. Also as I have said, an owner should be passionately confident in their own choice of anchor and I respect that. They have to trust the anchor on their bow because they have to believe that anchor will keep them safe and perhaps save their life. If they do not believe that about their anchor, "then perhaps we can talk!"

Thanks for the questions and comments. I learn more from every question and exchange. Y'all make me think!

Steve Bedford
Steve Bedford is offline   Reply With Quote