Heat exchanger cleanout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No mention of dilution
I could be wrong.
Hydrochloric acid is a clear, colorless, highly pungent solution of hydrogen chloride (HCl) in water. It is a highly corrosive, strong mineral acid with many industrial uses. Hydrochloric acid is found naturally in gastric acid. When it reacts with an organic base it forms a hydrochloride salt.
It was historically called acidum salis, muriatic acid, and spirits of salt because it was produced from rock salt and green vitriol (by Basilius Valentinus in the 15th century) and later from the chemically similar common salt and sulfuric acid (by Johann Rudolph Glauber in the 17th century). Free hydrochloric acid was first formally described in the 16th century by Libavius. Later, it was used by chemists such as Glauber, Priestley, and Davy in their scientific research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid

I suppose it depends on how fouled it is and/or how cheap you are or what your standards are. The current state of the art is ultrasound cleaning. I found it easier to send the things out to a good radiator shop to get them completely cleaned and pressure tested for leaks. They looked like new upon return. It's such a critical system I couldn't bring myself to trust it to an amateur, that being me.

or how cheap you are
What you pay is no guarantee of quality.
I have seen so many people pay so very much for so very little over the years.
I see the expression "A fool and his money are soon parted" enacted on almost a daily basis.

such a critical system I couldn't bring myself to trust it to an amateur, that being me.
If you cant perform relatively simple tasks its probably best you leave it to someone who can but saying that, I have seen so many jobs performed by qualified tradesman over the years that I consider sub standard and money wasted and so many jobs performed by amateurs that far exceed the so call "professionals" work because unlike the "professional" they dont know how to cut corners and do the minimal required to make it work.
Its as if the "Professional" thinks if they do a sub par job it wont last and you'll be back parting with your money again in no time.
I should note, not all pro's are like this - there are some outstanding ones out there, but they are few and far between.

I'll be living on the boat full time, at anchor, more often than not not far away from the local radiator shop so for me, understanding, maintaining and repairing the simple systems is paramount to us continuing this lifestyle.
To come ashore every time something small goes wrong and "Bring Out Another Thousand" would have me reassessing the lifestyle.

Last edited:
What you pay is no guarantee of quality.
I have seen so many people pay so very much for so very little over the years.
I see the expression "A fool and his money are soon parted" enacted on almost a daily basis.

If you cant perform relatively simple tasks its probably best you leave it to someone who can but saying that, I have seen so many jobs performed by qualified tradesman over the years that I consider sub standard and money wasted and so many jobs performed by amateurs that far exceed the so call "professionals" work because unlike the "professional" they dont know how to cut corners and do the minimal required to make it work.
Its as if the "Professional" thinks if they do a sub par job it wont last and you'll be back parting with your money again in no time.
I should note, not all pro's are like this - there are some outstanding ones out there, but they are few and far between.

I'll be living on the boat full time, at anchor, more often than not not far away from the local radiator shop so for me, understanding, maintaining and repairing the simple systems is paramount to us continuing this lifestyle.
To come ashore every time something small goes wrong and "Bring Out Another Thousand" would have me reassessing the lifestyle.

You are making what I consider irrelevant generalizations. We are discussing a very specific task and a specific method of getting it done. I am very DIY by nature.

Back to your generalization, he who does not get references from sources he trusts, nor monitors his tradespeople, takes his chances.

You are making what I consider irrelevant generalizations.
Consider away

We are discussing a very specific task and a specific method of getting it done.
Not really. Pretty much the same as doing a big radiator flush which can be done with any number of products - it doesn't "specifically" have to be one product.

Back to your generalization, he who does not get references from sources he trusts, nor monitors his tradespeople, takes his chances.
Easily done if you never venture far from the same place.
But if I am a few thousand miles away and dont know the local businesses I can either take pot luck asking some unknown guy on a boat to refer me to some unknown place and be at their mercy or, I can learn to do the job properly myself.
I would feel more secure doing the later with product I can buy off the shelf at the local hardware, not having to pay $150 a gallon, pay a small fortune in freight and wait for a week or more for it to arrive.

Last edited:
I just cleaned & repainted a tranny HX..
Found a recommended procedure online and followed it.
Caustic clean first to remove any oils...liquid plumber. For my snall HX a couple of rubber stoppers in each end and I could slosh it by hand w it about half full.
Second step acid wash...phosphoric...same procedure.
Flush w water & inspect...repeat acid step if needed.
Wire brushed any loose paint on exterior.
Repaint used self etching primer and engine enamel...both available at most auto parts. Dupli.color self etch primer & enamels are very good but others brands available if you can't find Dupli.color.
All materials readily available locally.

Finished product

ForumRunner_20160722_062532.jpg

Back
Top Bottom