View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
Astral Blue
Veteran Member

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: Astral Blue
Vessel Model: Bayliner Victoria 2750 Command Bridge
Towing a Canoe at 6 Knots

Our canoe is beginning to become our new dinghy -- as the anchorages we have been visiting have been much more enjoyable to explore paddling with a canoe versus our inflatable Avon with the outboard. I'm looking for some feedback/insight/advice/tips from others who have done this.

We typically cruise at a maximum speed of 6 knots. Our canoe is 15'6", very stable, and (as claimed by the manufacturer) unsinkable, but have no desire to find out whether the latter is true. We have towed it 20+ feet behind us in relatively calm waters and have been fortunate enough to have avoided large wakes. It wobbles considerably when taking small wakes from the beam, but I haven[t been convinced it was anywhere close to capsizing. It was simply making us a bit nervous. Needless to say, it is far less stable than the Avon under tow.

One thought I entertained was side-tying it on the starboard side, bringing it relatively close to the hull, and placing a few bumpers in between. I have never seen it done, but would love feedback on the advantages and disadvantages...as well as potential risks.

1977 Bayliner Victoria Astral Blue Repowered with Perkins 4.108 Diesel
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote