Drawer Latch Stuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fletch

Vessel Name
Nickel Plate
Vessel Make
Jeanneau Velasco 43
We have an issue with one of the galley drawers, it is a pretty standard push button press to latch with a tab that goes up. The issue is that there is not access from above, any ideas other than bulling the drawer face off and fixing the damage? Thanks, Barry

More details please Barry... does it (the latch) move at all when you press on it? If not, my advice would be to shoot it (all crevasses of the latch) with a penetrating oil. I'd use T-9 because I like that stuff.

Then squirt again every few hours/overnight and try it. Two days should loosen it Maybe.

If not, next step would be to get out my hammer and a piece of wood. Place wood over latch button and bang it. It might just free up.

Good luck!

Great answers! Thanks guys, will try both! Barry

When you unscrew the outside push , you may be able to push the operating rod further , and gain a release.

These units are frequently plastic bodies held in with just 2 screws inside the drawer.

A cold chisel that fits inside the trim ring and a smash or two will gain access , and repairing where 2 tiny wood screws were is a toothpick & white glue 3 min deal.

The next latch will cover the repair.

Thanks guys, worked like a champ, unscrewed and lubed. Fletch

Thanks guys, worked like a champ, unscrewed and lubed. Fletch

Great now lube every one, and put it on your PM list.

FWIW, if it's metal, sounds like your latch is likely a Hafele Push Button Cabinet Latch, which happens to be Sea Ray Part #772418-REVISED from Flounder Pounder Marine, $10 each.

Apparently may domestic makers have used these, although FP seems to specialize in Sea Ray parts so uses a Sea Ray part numbering system.

We've got about a thousand of 'em in our boat (not a Sea Ray)... Well, OK, maybe a hundred...

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom