Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brian-when I was just a wee lad, we lived at the USNA as my Dad was an instructor there. He took me to visit the Trumpy yard on the Severn River and I have loved them ever since. In the late 70-s eary 80's, with two partners, we bought, rebuilt and sold 5 Trumpys, from 57' to a pair of 83 footers. John Trumpy built some of the most beautiful, most elegant yachts of the day. If anyone has never been aboard one and gets the chance-take it. They are exquisitely beautiful, functional and seaworthy boats. Just a trivia point, John Trumpy's grandson, also John, was harbormaster at Daytona Municipal Marina for quite a few years back in the late 80's-early 90's.

The Memory 38 has a 52 HP Yanmar engine with 3.2:1 reduction turning a 20" x 19.5" three-bladed prop.

TAD,
As I recall the plans called for 28hp.
I'm supprised a YC38 has the prop clearence for 50hp and a prop loaded correctly to a 3.2:1 gear.
Why so much power? I would think a 40hp engine like my Mitsu would be just fine and 12 more hp in a boat like this is a big increase. Does the owner work at Yanmar?

Roguewave,
Thank you thank you for the pics and info of and about the lobsterboat.
What a beauty and mostly longer boats are better boats .. IMO

Agreed and as I am not train orientated, this is a novel thought.:flowers: That is a fine looking boat. It would be a grand South East Alaska cruiser.
Al

Al
A train ride to Prince Rupert would be a lot closer

Ted

Eric, This one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan
For those of you who are looking for a Pilgrim but on a budget.

1970 Hans Dehmel Tug Style Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Man - That"s a nice looking 30"er! Spacious layout for her size, for sure. Even thought photos are 2012 I bet she still shows nice. Wonder what her nmpg is? Probably slips along very economically.

Two items that would not suite me... 1. No fly bridge / 2. No 360 degree walk around side decks.

Al,
Thanks,
Cute nice looking boat but seriously Al ... NOT a good boat for Alaska.
As a live-aboard .. great .. and minimal length for minimal moorage but in Alaska that's not worth mentioning. Moorage in Alaska may go up soon as the oil industry fades. How is the PFD now Al?

Art,
FB in Alaska?

Last edited:
Two items that would not suite me... 1. No fly bridge / 2. No 360 degree walk around side decks.

I see a ladder going up there... maybe a little stainless tuna-tower style flybridge could happen...

Sorry, no solution for the sidedeck problem.

Boating is such a wonderful hobby - interesting vessels discovered all the time.

Al,
Thanks,
Cute nice looking boat but seriously Al ... NOT a good boat for Alaska.
As a live-aboard .. great .. and minimal length for minimal moorage but in Alaska that's not worth mentioning. Moorage in Alaska may go up soon as the oil industry fades. How is the PFD now Al?

Art,
FB in Alaska?

Eric - I was brought up in NY, lived four years in Maine, couple years in upper Rockies, a decade in the upper Sierra Nevadas. I know cold. Seen many, many times when reaching "0" degrees f was only a wish and a hope. :eek: While living in cold country... At one span of time I owned a small fleet (3) of snow plow trucks that serviced golf course housing communities during winter months; always had at hand at least one nice plow truck for my own use. :thumb:

Reason I say Flying Bridge is always needed for me to have on my boats: Because I plan to never again spend full-time life in cold country! I left cold country habitation in my mid 30's My boating is now in the really nice climate of fresh water, inland, San Francisco Delta's warm swimmable waters! I don't mind visiting cold areas - but, taint liven there again!! :D

Of my several must haves on a pleasure boat - Flying Bridge is #1. Walk around decks is a close 2nd. :popcorn:

Yes, and a 20 KG Bruce with 120' of 3/8" chain should satisfy even Eric.

Brian-when I was just a wee lad, we lived at the USNA as my Dad was an instructor there. He took me to visit the Trumpy yard on the Severn River and I have loved them ever since. In the late 70-s eary 80's, with two partners, we bought, rebuilt and sold 5 Trumpys, from 57' to a pair of 83 footers. John Trumpy built some of the most beautiful, most elegant yachts of the day. If anyone has never been aboard one and gets the chance-take it. They are exquisitely beautiful, functional and seaworthy boats. Just a trivia point, John Trumpy's grandson, also John, was harbormaster at Daytona Municipal Marina for quite a few years back in the late 80's-early 90's.
Well I may be a little bit older, but when I was attending Univ of MD I made some trips down to the bay, and Annapolis in particular. I remember Trumpy's old yard, and in fact I located a sailboat business there in the late 70's.

I was real tempted to buy several ACF's and an Elco to refinish and live aboard after college. Those classics reminded me of this larger classic. BTW that larger vessel was not a Trumpy, but rather a Mathews build
History of Le Bon Temps Roule

Last edited:
Yes Brian I agree. Looks bigger.

Art .... OKOKOK you can have your FB. haha If I had a big 48 Tolly I'd have a FB too. i'd use it

Larry,
120' of 3/8ths chain and two or three hundred feet of good old nylon line. So no that would'nt pass my "muster". Need more rode than 120'. Mine is 430'.

Yes Brian I agree. Looks bigger.

Art .... OKOKOK you can have your FB. haha If I had a big 48 Tolly I'd have a FB too. i'd use it

Larry,
120' of 3/8ths chain and two or three hundred feet of good old nylon line. So no that would'nt pass my "muster". Need more rode than 120'. Mine is 430'.

Eric - No need to have 48' for a fly bridge. We had a beaut of a 1973 31 Uniflite with twins and a roomy fly bridge. Our 1977 Tolly is 34' tri cabin with a great FB... You too could have a fly bridge boat if desired. :thumb:

That said - It is best to live in a climate where FB can be often enjoyed. :dance:

It's often too cold and sloppy to enjoy a flybridge even in the western Delta.

Delta Jim on the way to Mildred Island:

Last edited:
Al I bought Willy partly because a PO had removed the FB. You really would'nt want Willy to look like this .. would you?

Mark and I feel the same way on the FB issue.

Mark there's adds in that picture. And nobody hang'in on up in the FB. Would probably need seatbelts. In the days there used to be a bar in SanDiego that had seatbelts on the bar stools. "Picadilly" I think.

Attachments

• n_a.jpeg
    n_a.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Saw this interesting boat today at the marina fuel dock. I had never seen a cruising " Shanty Boat " , the owners built it three years ago and are cruising down the Tennessee river from Knoxville headed for the Ohio river.
Marty if they dock at your marina you will see some very interesting wood work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 100
Shanty Boat

Another view of the bow with bamboo stantions for the awning !
For more information check out. peopleriverhistory.us

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Saw this interesting boat today at the marina fuel dock. I had never seen a cruising " Shanty Boat " , the owners built it three years ago and are cruising down the Tennessee river from Knoxville headed for the Ohio river.
Marty if they dock at your marina you will see some very interesting wood work.
Thanks for the heads up . We get 1 or 2 of these a year stop here . I love it . Last one that came through had a chicken coop .

Greetings,
Looks to me like that shanty boat has a fly bridge if that upper port is any indication. An enclosed FB at that...

Eric, :flowers:Dividend still there!:thumb: May soon have a high number of governmental types on the streets:socool:.
We enjoy our fly bridge on our 27 foot Marben. Have not found the lack of walk around decks an issue. Don't tend to sleep walk, and with dock lines 25' long handling bow and stern is easily single handled. Then to when required, the grapple hook line from the fly bridge to the dock bull rail secured and tied off midship on the bridge makes single handling from the fly bridge a snap. 'KISS' has it's place.
Finally, I find the fly bridge Willard far more attractive and nautical over the 'Willie'.:angel: Sorry, personal view.:hide:
Al (Enjoyed sunny 80 degrees yesterday and shady 60 degrees today):popcorn:

Fllying grapple hooks. :eek: Must be bull-rail territory, hopefully with no one near on the dock.

Prefer dock-level, 360-degree decks at same level as pilothouse.

Last edited:
:flowers:Ya, it's a bit of fun to have visiting yachters offering a willing hand to be asked to stand clear as I heave the grapple out and over the bull rail.;) Looks of amazement when the hook is set and I yard the boat in broad side to the dock,:whistling: particularly when the space allotted is in the 35 foot range, causing those same folks to become concerned during the approach.

There is always a bit of risk. I am sure the use of the grapple would be frowned on and not be acceptable in many parts of the country. Sort of like 'Open Carry' tends to freak folks out.:eek:

The use of the grapple works for me as does the common sense applied in the application, why compound the docking when you can 'grapple' it. :D
Regards,:peace:
Al-Ketchikan-Marben 27' Pocket CRUISER (With fly bridge!!)

:flowers:Ya, it's a bit of fun to have visiting yachters offering a willing hand to be asked to stand clear as I heave the grapple out and over the bull rail.;) Looks of amazement when the hook is set and I yard the boat in broad side to the dock,:whistling: particularly when the space allotted is in the 35 foot range, causing those same folks to become concerned during the approach.

There is always a bit of risk. I am sure the use of the grapple would be frowned on and not be acceptable in many parts of the country. Sort of like 'Open Carry' tends to freak folks out.:eek:

The use of the grapple works for me as does the common sense applied in the application, why compound the docking when you can 'grapple' it. :D
Regards,:peace:
Al-Ketchikan-Marben 27' Pocket CRUISER (With fly bridge!!)

You Go Al... :speed boat:... GO!!! :thumb: :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom