View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
JohnP
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Thinking of wintering in Charleston SC - thoughts?

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

We'd rent an apartment for a few reasons.
1 - we've never lived aboard, not sure if we'd like it
Never know unless you try it.
2 - we have 2 cats and a dog
We also have 2 cats and a dog and there is no easy answer here.
3 - we (she) have a ton of clothes
Go to the Keys-- bikinis don't take much space.

My parents live in Tampa, and I'm actually thinking of using their address as my "home" address, registering my cars there, etc. I want to move my assets out of Mass, it's nuts here... sales tax, excise tax, yearly registration, inspection fee, one of the highest gas taxes, tolls everywhere, and insurance is literally DOUBLE here than 20 miles over the border in New Hampshire (thank you state-regulated insurance...). Not to mention a $1,000 penalty to pay the state if you don't have health insurance each year.
We've also had 8 tax increases here in the last 4 years - from a Governor who was elected by promising to NOT raise ANY taxes... then was re-elected on the same promise, after raising taxes (and those are the tax raises that he was able to pass... there were about 10 others that were shot down). We have also had referendums twice in the last 4 years to raise or lower taxes... and Mass citizens voted to RAISE taxes. Sigh...
Start a coporation in Delaware and keep moving.* As soon as you plant roots you start paying for the privilege.

All in Fun.*** JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 11th of March 2011 09:29:41 AM
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote