Dometic portable ice maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poach

Vessel Name
Poach
Vessel Make
Sabreline Trawler
Just purchased a Dometic portable ice maker (the small one) I am interested in hearing any feedback regarding how they perform at anchor off the inverter. In other words how much juice do they draw from a 12 v system.

It's close to impossible to tell you. Too many variables with model and inverter choice. If you plug it into a Kill-A-Watt meter, it'll tell you.

Can't tell you exactly but I had one and left it on almost all the time while cruising and at anchor. Never saw an appreciable difference in the batteries over night.

I can't comment on current draw but I can tell you my experience with a similar unit. They make enough ice to put in your sodas and a few cocktails but because of the lack of insulation the ice doesn't last very long and doesn't accumulate large batches the way a big ac unit compressor unit does. Don't plan on it putting out enough for coolers or big pitchers of margaritas and such - they rate them based on how much ice they could make if you run them all day and immediately remove and consume the ice as it drops.

My wife and I got a tour of our neighbors boat, an old Tollycraft. They have a built in ice maker. My wife now thinks we need an ice maker. I would be interested to know how these perform and what the maintenance issues are.

They work great and the maintenance is drain it and wipe dry before stowing. Works fine off of the inverter.

I am looking at mine on the counter and it has 1.5 and 2.0 amps on the back. Unfortunately it is not all in English so I am not sure what either means.

Mine is an Igloo, but seems very similar to all the others.

I purchased a Magic Chef counter top ice maker from Walmart online for $139. That was almost 7-years ago. It worked flawlessly until it gave up the ghost 5-years after purchase. This unit ran 24/7/365 OUTDOORS (in a shaded area) aboard our boat. It traveled up and down the east coast with us in heat, cold, smooth and rough seas. They just don't make things like they used to. Ha Ha.

Don't know what the Dometic costs but you can be sure it ain't much different than the Walmart model.

They make enough ice to put in your sodas and a few cocktails but because of the lack of insulation the ice doesn't last very long and doesn't accumulate large batches the way a big ac unit compressor unit does.

Unless your fridge is a small under-counter model with a freezer half the size of a shoebox, make multiple batches of ice ahead of time and store in a ziplock or two in the freezer. I do that at home for parties--dump the icemaker each night before I go to bed. If you don't have the freezer space, a well insulated 12 pack cooler with a few re-usable ice packs in it to help keep it cold long enough to make the ice last through an evening with guests.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom