Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As she comes to life... SOLSTICE now has her eye WIDE Open - viewing at the world!

Looks nice!

More skim coating today

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468928037.155637.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468928141.920413.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468928374.420462.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468928397.955650.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468928409.142940.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468928420.543666.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468928437.546161.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468928452.180968.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468928466.732891.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

As it's 4:53 AM and I'm just bout out the door... not time this morn to closely watch some combined 13 minuets of your two videos... But THANKS for posting them - I took quick look.. will surely watch in eve! First I've heard your Aussie Voice!! Cheers! Art

Matt, She is starting to really take shape. I think I'm going to work on the Rose today....Maybe I'll catch the 72 hour bug from work and get something done for a change.
Thanks for the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
But never forget, building a boat is like building a house. You should build your first boat for an enemy, your second one for a friend and then the third one for your self.

More skim coating today

I can see the Flexi-cat is going to get a good workout! :popcorn:

Just remember, big X's. Not up and down or fore & aft in straight lines. BIG X's!!! :thumb:

Are you going to do a guide coat first?

Great tour of the boat Matt! Really got a feel for the size of the beast now! :eek: That's an amazing amount of work for 4 years. I know, they do seem to take forever! :banghead: It'll all be worth it in the end, the fish don't stand a chance!

Thanks again Mate!

Rick

You're Welcome my Crazy Canadian Comrade.

Last edited:
I can see the Flexi-cat is going to get a good workout! :popcorn:

Just remember, big X's. Not up and down or fore & aft in straight lines. BIG X's!!! :thumb:

Are you going to do a guide coat first?

Yeah I'll give it a light dust over with a DA to get the sharp edges off then guide coat it before the green machine and the Blade do their thing.

Matt, She is starting to really take shape. I think I'm going to work on the Rose today....Maybe I'll catch the 72 hour bug from work and get something done for a change.
Thanks for the pictures.

So Sickies aren't just an Australian tradition then..?!

As it's 4:53 AM and I'm just bout out the door... not time this morn to closely watch some combined 13 minuets of your two videos... But THANKS for posting them - I took quick look.. will surely watch in eve! First I've heard your Aussie Voice!! Cheers! Art
Nah y'all heard my twangy voice before when I posted a vid about the engine starting for the first time back when I just finished rebuilding it. Probably a good thing to forget mate haha

Nah y'all heard my twangy voice before when I posted a vid about the engine starting for the first time back when I just finished rebuilding it. Probably a good thing to forget mate haha

Got opp to see both vids. Very cool. MG the work you have accomplished is outstanding. And, you are correct... I did hear your voice when motor was coming to life! That was a few posts ago - LOL

Got opp to see both vids. Very cool. MG the work you have accomplished is outstanding. And, you are correct... I did hear your voice when motor was coming to life! That was a few posts ago - LOL

Lol thanks for watching and for your words of encouragement mate. Yeah time flys hey! That post was many moons ago now.

Engine mounts. Who has them and who doesn't? The original engine was mounted on timber beds and I just did the same thing but was chatting to a mate today and he was surprised there isn't any on SOLSTICE.

What's your thoughts/suggestions..?

Thanks in advance

I think in a typical installation adjustable mounts are requires when aligning the prop shaft coupler to the engine output flange. Very small tolerances unless you're using a flexi-coupling arrangement. Mounts also help isolate engine vibration (and hence noise) from the boat.

Even my old Clipper 34 of 1975 vintage has engine mounts, mainly for vibration damping I suspect. Funnily enough, my GT4 goes in to the garage tomorrow to get the fore and aft mounts replaced, as we found recently when I had the suspension bushes done that they were so worn they were virtually down to metal on metal. I thought the car was vibrating more lately. Better that than the compressions all shot and needing an overhead job, I guess.
But yes, Matt, ideally some engine mounts with suitable damping, or the vibration will loosen your fillings for sure - if you have any that is...

I have Poly Flex mounts from Oz. Made of some high tech plastic as I recall.
Rubber engine mounts just allow movement. I sought out a mount that actually absorbs vibration like some of the plastic damper plates.

Last edited:
Engine mounts. Who has them and who doesn't? The original engine was mounted on timber beds and I just did the same thing but was chatting to a mate today and he was surprised there isn't any on SOLSTICE.

Thanks in advance

:whistling: :popcorn:

I think in a typical installation adjustable mounts are requires when aligning the prop shaft coupler to the engine output flange. Very small tolerances unless you're using a flexi-coupling arrangement. Mounts also help isolate engine vibration (and hence noise) from the boat.

Yeah I'm running a Flexi-coupling mate.

I have Poly Flex mounts from Oz. Made of some high tech plastic as I recall.
Rubber engine mounts just allow movement. I sought out a mount that actually absorbs vibration like some of the plastic damper plates.

Same people that made the Flexi-Coupling on my shaft/gearbox connection.

I just mounted the engine as it was originally but will look at modifying the beds to accept mounts

Yes, the shipwright decided to move the rear mounts from the engine back to the tranny, we replaced all 4 mounts. The result is a quieter and smoother ride.

Yes, the shipwright decided to move the rear mounts from the engine back to the tranny, we replaced all 4 mounts. The result is a quieter and smoother ride.

Cool! :D

That's something I've never seen before. :popcorn:

Interesting.I've not come across tranny mounts before.I'm sure they do help with the vibes.

attachment.php

A sanding we will go... A sanding we will go... High ho the merry o' a sanding we will Goooooo..... :thumb: :D :eek:

Back
Top Bottom