Dripless Shaft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4061

Guru
This is question for those with a newer boat equipped with the dripless shaft stuffing box.

What is the typical exterior temperature range we should expect to see while underway when shooting it with the heat gun at 6" away?

If memory serves me correct we would look for about 20 degrees above sea leave temperatures on our older stuffing boxes that would drip about every 15 seconds give or take. Another way of telling if the temperature was good was to touch the stuffing box area and it was cool or slightly warm to the touch. Thanks

John (N4050, N4061, N3533 - former owner)
Helmsman 38E - under construction

Mine is cool to the touch...same temperature as the water.

Conall

Same here. Just checked it yesterday after launching from this year's yard period. I have checked it a couple of other times and never found it to be higher than the shaft or ambient water temperature.

This will vary based on water injection or simple venting. I have one on my charter boat that has water supplied to it after the heat exchanger on the engine. On my trawler the water feed is before the heat exchanger. Some installations simply run a vent line, so there is no real water flow. Which setup do you have?

My preference is water supplied before it goes through the heat exchanger. Although I've never had a problem with the one after the heat exchanger on my charter boat either. Think that one now has about 7,000 hours on it.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom