Do rail mounted grills make a mess?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We need a like button!

Or...you could just hit the Thanks button - means same thing.

Also, you could consider one of these. They are so well insulated/protected no fat drips or spits escape, and it can be sat on your regular cockpit table. You can leave throwing out the bit of ash etc until that cruise is over as well. :)

Home - Cobb International

I like the Weber Q's they have the best flame control and the thermometer in the hood really helps with the cooking. I did a pork tenderloin for supper and it came out delicious. I don't use the small screw on propane bottles, Weber sells a hose adapter for using a twenty pound tank so no worrying of running out of gas during the cooking. The Weber has a disposable drip pan under the grill.
You might notice my wind deflector, 98 cent cookie sheet from Walmart !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
We have the round Magma one. It doesn't seem to drip any grease at this point. My only advice is cover it if you are leaving it set up outdoors or stow it once you are done with it. We did accidentally leave it out once and it got rained on, uncovered, and THAT did make a mess of the side of the boat. Covering with a waterproof cover is key. :) Also protects the grill.

I've been reading the replies and wondering what people cook on their grills... We've used a Magma most recently and we always have some grease leaking. It is not the biggest deal to clean up but it is certainly part of every grill we have owned other than our Big Green Egg and that would require a much larger boat than we can afford!

To answer the question, yes, they make a mess but the end result is so worth the clean up!

Bruce

I have a BGE Minimax aboard. Works great. Not much bigger than others mentioned here, you just can't rail mount it.

I like the Weber Q's they have the best flame control and the thermometer in the hood really helps with the cooking. I did a pork tenderloin for supper and it came out delicious. I don't use the small screw on propane bottles, Weber sells a hose adapter for using a twenty pound tank so no worrying of running out of gas during the cooking. The Weber has a disposable drip pan under the grill.
You might notice my wind deflector, 98 cent cookie sheet from Walmart !

That's what I had on my last boat. I use a Big Green Egg now but if I wanted propane that's what I would have gotten again. That's an awesome grill and performs way better than the Magmas I've had in the past.

I have a BGE Minimax aboard. Works great. Not much bigger than others mentioned here, you just can't rail mount it.

You are my hero! We have a large BGE at home and we use a MiniMax when dragging our tiny 16' Airstream Bambi around but can't imagine it on the boat...
Party at your boat!!!
Bruce

Captain Paul, I agree, the Weber Q's are also the grill of choice for RV'ers. The Weber's flame and heat control is the best and makes it my choice.

We have a Magma Newport with the infra red plates and it is a decent little grill.
I was skeptical at first but after 3 years the only failure was the igniter. It is certainly not in the same league as the Big Green Egg but we have roasted small chickens, done steaks, cooked a ton of seafood and vegetables. The entire series has been redesigned this year and they look nice. I'm sure we will add one to the tug next year when we take delivery...maybe one of the larger models though.
Bruce

Unless you drop something, there shouldn't be ANY mess on the deck from a grill because grills should be mounted to entirely overhang the water in case of flare ups or some fool making a huge wake where he shouldn't rocking the boat enough to slide food off it.

I've never like the Magma kettles for a bunch of reasons. My last one was a cast aluminum (try to find one of those any more!) table-top grill. Removed the stand and bent two pieces of 1" pipe to make a pair of fore-aft legs attached with bolts (also had to drill 4 holes in the bottom of the grill). Put two 1" flagpole mounts in transom gunwhale for the front legs to sit in...and voila! An 8 x 14 rectangular grill with a hinged lid that completely overhung the water and best of all, replacement parts from the hardware store fit it!

Our boat doesn't have any sst rails so I built a stand for ours . It's from an old helm chair and a piece of starboard . I set it off on the dock when cleaning it up .

Looking at where it's sitting, a cautionary tale...

Some folks on a houseboat at Holiday Marina on Lake Lanier were aboard on a very cold night in February...their Charbroil gas grill was in the aft cockpit sitting on an engine hatch. Unbeknownst to them the propane tank was leaking...propane falls, it doesn't rise. All was well until the thermostat turned the heat on again...the switch (which it was determined later had a frayed wire) was in the engine compartment. The resulting explosion blew the sliding glass door at the after end of the cabin off with enough force to drive a shard through a door. One engine hatch landed on the roof of a covered dock two alleys over, they never found the other one....or the grill. All the glass was blown out the of the boats on each side. It was so loud it rattled the windows in the dining room of the YC across the creek. Fortunately the owners were the only ones on the dock that weekend and everyone aboard was at the forward end of the boat so no one was injured.

If the coals are hot enough, the fat/grease should be evaporated to flavor the meat and not drip? Juices dripping on deck, just a problem with gas-operated grills?

No, it's not just a gas grill problem. If it were, lava rock or ceramic brickettes would solve the problem. If you're trying to cook on coals hot enough to evaporate grease, you can forget about chicken or fish for dinner...or any red meat you don't like charred on the outside and rare in the middle!

Believe Flywright wanted me to come portside since his grill was starboard.

Well we used the grill today and it was great. No mess.

Hubby grilled some tuna steaks and some veggies. It was delicious!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 94
If you look close you can see the grill mounted on the upper deck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 106
I don't have a proper boat barbeque. The semi circular cockpit isn't really set up for it.

We use a large cheap fold up barbie which I set up at the end of the dock finger if cooking for a bunch of people at the marina.
At anchor, we often cook fish or crabs over a campfire on the beach.

I don't have a proper boat barbeque. The semi circular cockpit isn't really set up for it.

We use a large cheap fold up barbie which I set up at the end of the dock finger if cooking for a bunch of people at the marina.
At anchor, we often cook fish or crabs over a campfire on the beach.

Then you definitely could do with one of these Auscan. It would fit splendidly on that round table they have in the cockpits of those Cuddles.

Home - Cobb International
and...
Cobb Australia
:D

What time is dinner?

:smitten:Wow! Gorgeous

Magma review?

Magma grills seem to spark love/hate reactions. I'm ready to buy a boat grill to mount on our Camano Troll. Very interested in active user's input.

Thanks

Black cover over Magma Grill to left on railing. Purchased 2008.

That is old photo, BBQ still working fine. Many a great BBQ'd meal. I understand the new models have some sort of "heat distribution plate" under the steel grill. Have not heard good things about it. Guess Magma also still sells propane BBQ without that plate and with just the steel grill. We really like our now 9 yr old Magma... with just a steel grill. No sign of wearing out yet! :thumb:

Attachments

• TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.jpg
    TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 102
We'll stick to electric grills. Do an amazing job and don't have all the other worries. Miele, Gaggenau, Kenyon.

We'll stick to electric grills. Do an amazing job and don't have all the other worries. Miele, Gaggenau, Kenyon.

All other appliances on out boat are electric. It's pleasantly rewarding to BBQ over a flame while standing on sun deck... watching "water world" flow by! :dance:

All other appliances on out boat are electric. It's pleasantly rewarding to BBQ over a flame while standing on sun deck... watching "water world" flow by! :dance:

For us it's pleasant to grill on an electric grill on the flybridge or on the aft deck, watching "water world" flow by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art

For us it's pleasant to grill on an electric grill on the flybridge or on the aft deck, watching "water world" flow by.

Plagiarism! :facepalm: :lol: :D :ermm: :rofl: :socool: :thumb: :eek:

Magma grills seem to spark love/hate reactions. I'm ready to buy a boat grill to mount on our Camano Troll. Very interested in active user's input.

We have one of the round Magma propane grills, and it works OK even if sometimes a bit bothered by high winds.

The control always seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, so when we first got it I thought we only had BLAST FURNACE or OFF... but once I sorted out the labeling on the control, lower temps came a bit easier.

Haven't used any competitive products, so can really compare...

-Chris

We use this set up. First we installed a Scotty side mount on the Port aft section of our Selene. Had to use a piece of 3/4 inch starboard as a spacer to clear the cap rail. Then I picked up a 90 degree Scotty mount that goes on to the side mount with big wing bolts, they came with the kit. Picked up the fish cleaning board off of eBay. A guy down in Florida makes them in all sizes, we wanted a big one that would support the Weber gas grill, tools, platters and be easy to clean. Oh ya, it also is a great fish cleaning station.
Remove the two wing bolts, and the cleaning station comes right off and we can put the Scotty down rigger on.
During the winter we remove it all for the Canvas to cover everything.

By the way, the Weber grill is the only way to go. My experience with Magma's or any other Stainless grill for that matter have not been pleasant. This is the grill we had on the Coach before we got the boat. Its now 7 years old. Once or twice a year I remove from the boat while the power washer is out and spray the daylights out of it.

And on this trip, Tom on ASD is so impressed that they are searching for one themselves.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 105
We use this set up. First we installed a Scotty side mount on the Port aft section of our Selene. Had to use a piece of 3/4 inch starboard as a spacer to clear the cap rail. Then I picked up a 90 degree Scotty mount that goes on to the side mount with big wing bolts, they came with the kit. Picked up the fish cleaning board off of eBay. A guy down in Florida makes them in all sizes, we wanted a big one that would support the Weber gas grill, tools, platters and be easy to clean. Oh ya, it also is a great fish cleaning station.
Remove the two wing bolts, and the cleaning station comes right off and we can put the Scotty down rigger on.
During the winter we remove it all for the Canvas to cover everything.

By the way, the Weber grill is the only way to go. My experience with Magma's or any other Stainless grill for that matter have not been pleasant. This is the grill we had on the Coach before we got the boat. Its now 7 years old. Once or twice a year I remove from the boat while the power washer is out and spray the daylights out of it.

And on this trip, Tom on ASD is so impressed that they are searching for one themselves.
Can you please show us a picture of the mount from the inside? Was it store bought?
Got the part about the fish station, it's the actual mount that is iluding me.

Bay Pelican has a Magma rectangular. We had a stainless bracket fabricated so it mounts to the cap rail (teak) and then slightly over the water. The drip tray takes care of any drips.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom