First day of boat ownership....disaster! Lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I carry a steno pad with me everywhere. Make lots of lists and work them off as best that you can. Sure beats trying to remember all the details. One pad lasts me 6 months.

I carry a steno pad with me everywhere. Make lots of lists and work them off as best that you can. Sure beats trying to remember all the details. One pad lasts me 6 months.

I use the Notes feature on my cell phone. Or, if something I need to go buy in the next few days I send myself a text message.

Actually is does recline, and I have an auto pilot....... :D

I can see some advantages to that! Hehe
But I'm not paying no $5.8k for a damned chair! Lol
I'm perfectly happy to have one helm chair which leaves me relaxing on the
(Let's call it something that sounds fun) settee surrounded by my cutesy throw pillows.

No that chair isn't mounted. Not sure what we're gonna do with that yet. But both times we've taken the boat out...first for sea trial and then on our own with our boat neighbors...nobody ever sat in that chair.

I can see some advantages to that! Hehe
But I'm not paying no $5.8k for a damned chair! Lol
I'm perfectly happy to have one helm chair which leaves me relaxing on the
(Let's call it something that sounds fun) settee surrounded by my cutesy throw pillows.

No that chair isn't mounted. Not sure what we're gonna do with that yet. But both times we've taken the boat out...first for sea trial and then on our own with our boat neighbors...nobody ever sat in that chair.

I think once you start to do longer journeys you will rethink that. There's a lot to see and help with looking forward.

Keep your eyes open for some chairs that are being re-purposed.

I have contacted the local service guy who has done all of the mechanical, electrical, instrument, etc repair, replace, maint, etc on the boat for the PO. We are meeting tomorrow for him to check out the AC and walk me through all the mods, changes, upgrades, repairs, and any remaining suggestions for fix that he still hasn't done.

We just brought our trawler home on a maiden voyage and had similar experiences. Turns out composting toilets can leak...

We also have the same helm chair. It is essential that you secure it. Ours has a wire hanging down from the center secured with a latch that can be opened to a mount in the deck. After one beer I'm not doing a great job of describing it but I'd be happy to send you a few photos when I get home in a couple days. I can't tell you the number of times I and the chair would have toppled to the deck had the chair not been secured.

If you ever want to cruise to Pensacola let me know and we will buy the beers!

I have contacted the local service guy who has done all of the mechanical, electrical, instrument, etc repair, replace, maint, etc on the boat for the PO. We are meeting tomorrow for him to check out the AC and walk me through all the mods, changes, upgrades, repairs, and any remaining suggestions for fix that he still hasn't done.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Get him to classify them as A, B, and C items.

A = safety, and those items that will quickly deteriorate into bigger issues if not handled now

B = not urgent but highly recommended for the maintenance of the vessel, should be done over the next 12 months.

C + discretionary, will add to your enjoyment and handling of the vessel.

A = safety, and those items that will quickly deteriorate into bigger issues if not handled now

B = not urgent but highly recommended for the maintenance of the vessel, should be done over the next 12 months.

Excellent advice. I have that list myself. (getting shorter all the time)

That's the plan.

This probably falls under category C...but to me it's a pretty big priority because it just makes my boat UGLY! The topside NEEDS to be painted. It's got all kinds of mismatched paints and weird ass sloppy stuff. It reminds me of this....this is my kitchen when I was trying to decide on a new paint color. :facepalm:

Not sure hubby agrees with me though....I guess it depends on how big the list of A's and B's are...lol

Anywho, that's definitely on the list somewhere.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 75
Why is my picture sideways? :nonono:

Oh yes, lots of learning. And being it's an old boat, we've got old switches and new switches and some switches that don't work or do anything at all. I think hubby's got most of that figured out.

Now we have to sit down and make our project list and try to prioritize it.

Your boat sounds a bit like mine when I bought her. I had a fair idea what state she was in. I did get a survey thought...mainly so I could insure her, and he found all the stuff I expected or had found myself, but no real surprises. However, I could see the PO was looking a bit greener all the time. He was greatly relieved when I went ahead, having negotiated down a bit. I knew what I was getting into. I was paying cash. Sounds like you and hubby also have a fairly realistic view of what's ahead.

Peter, I agree I think we do. Similarly we paid cash and negotiated down a bit after a thorough inspection by me, including a trip through the engine room and the forward bulkhead bilge area where the AC compressors, water heater, waste pumps, and water pumps are located. A full topside walk around with identifificatin of each soft spot on the decks. While we did not get a survey, I used the less than one year old survey he had done for insurance during the 2015 haul out and went over it page by page and verified myself each finding, inspection, And section done by that surveyor. I reviewed every maint record he had (the organized file box with receipts was provided to us during the initial walk through of the boat). So yes, at the end of a nearly two initial hour walk through (without the seller present) and subsequent hour long follow up and negotiation with seller and broker and following day three hour sea trial where we ran and tested every system under load (except waste pump out as that would not have been legal) including full engine test at WOT for about a 30 minute run on the lake and generator operation under full load of both AC units while running hot water and turning on the toaster oven. During the hour ride down river at no wake idle speed, I went over each section of the deck, re-checked the engine room with engines running, verified information from the operations gauges and took note of which ones weren't reading correctly. I think I took about 10 pages of notes that day. Lol. He waited until we arrived to start the engines so I was able to verify blower operation and engine start from cold. I checked oil on the engines before we left and again after return and also the generator. And I verified smokeless initial start and operation of all three engines during the trial. So yes, I would say I had a pretty realistic expectation going in. The AC did not ice up during the sea trial and battery voltage read normal on the gauge for the port engine, so those two finds were a bit of a surprise day one but hey, a surprise or two was also expected:thumb:

David
How did the walk through go???

Ronny,
It wasn't much of a walk through. He was able to show me some stuff but by then I had figured out most of the systems on my own. And despite the volumous receipts from his company for repairs, fixes, etc his memory of the boat was pretty sparse. As to remaining fixes he couldn't say. I guess he works on so many boats this one just didn't stand out. Based on things I have found though, I would say good mechanic, average plumber, and a bit weak on the electrical stuff. Lol

Ronny,
It wasn't much of a walk through. He was able to show me some stuff but by then I had figured out most of the systems on my own. And despite the volumous receipts from his company for repairs, fixes, etc his memory of the boat was pretty sparse. As to remaining fixes he couldn't say. I guess he works on so many boats this one just didn't stand out. Based on things I have found though, I would say good mechanic, average plumber, and a bit weak on the electrical stuff. Lol

Not uncommon that electric is in the worse shape. I'd say that's a place the difference between a true professional and an amateur is greatest and most people have the least knowledge and ability.

Did you ever get to the bottom of how all that water got into the tanks..?

As far as I am concerned, the water entered my system through the fueling operation. The fuel dock contends that their system was dry. I contend otherwise. We have reached a mutually accepted conclusion to the issue. As far as I am concerned, the issue is resolved.

Did you ever get to the bottom of how all that water got into the tanks..?

The mechanic said the engines would not have run with that amount of water in the tanks so if they were running and then they weren't whatever happened in the interim is where the water came from.
The only thing that happened in the interim was getting fuel.

Back
Top Bottom