View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #41
Rossland

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Oh yes...I've offered lifetime warranties because they cost virtually nothing on certain products.

But to the statement above. Chances are that isn't the case. There are hundreds to choose among and good companies spend a lot of time making sure the manufacturer can produce at the standard they require. There are quality production facilities in China and poor ones. Also, the facility making the Cummins part is probably checked periodically to be sure they're not private labeling or copying product. More likely the other one is a knockoff and it's possible to make it just as good. However, the one selling for $35 likely didn't spend time checking out the factory, didn't have one of their people on sight, didn't require regular quality reporting and didn't check and test the finished product when it arrived. Now I think the $341 is high and it can be found from Cummins for less. I think however, it's total cost including manufacturing and quality efforts is substantially more than the $35 product. I can speak to other products with more specifics than I can to Cummins parts.

Counterfeit designer purses and accessories are found regularly. What typically tells the agent who catches them is the quality. Little things they see that the average consumer wouldn't notice at first. I can't look at two parts, one from Cummins and one from Ebay and tell you the difference, but an expert could with the right equipment. First thing would be simple things like comparing weight, then analyzing each element, things such as the metals used. Perhaps a pressure test.

It is 100% possible for someone to make an equivalent product and sell it for less than Cummins. Guess what I'm saying is that the guy selling it for $35 on Ebay hasn't likely done that.
My sentiments exactly.
One way to possibly save money is to identify alternative sources for "factory" parts. Caterpillar and John Deere are obvious. Perkins is Massey-Ferguson tractor. Cummins 6BT was used in Dodge pickups.
I recently needed an engine part for my Cummins/Onan generator. A friend identified it as a Kubota engine, and the local Kubota dealer had just what I needed.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote