Do you pay for Cummins parts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I just called Cummins for price and availability on a fuel shut down solenoid for my 6BTA.
The quotes price was $351.00.
He was kind enough to give me the part number 3935649.
I found that part number on the internet for just under $35.00.
So, do you purchase the part sold by Cummins or one that is compatible?

I do not find it a no brainer at all. I see the cheap ebay parts shipped from China and of unknown quality and for me that's a no-brainer that I wouldn't go near them. Now, someone like Seahorse I would be far more likely to trust.

typical "marine" pricing It's a no brainer get the $35 one!

First of all, I have no idea who made the $35 part and I have no knowledge of the part other than to know what it is and does.
That being said...I have spent much of my life in the business of automobile maintenance and repair and I've seen more than my share of "knock off" parts that were not worth the time it took to remove them from the box. Parts that didn't fit or that failed or that caused something else to fail.

Of course there are times when the same part, made by the same manufacturer is available for a fraction of the cost somewhere else but in general, I tend to be cautious. If there is not a lot of labor involved in replacing the part, if failure doesn't endanger life or property and you are willing to suck up the labor in the event of a failure then by all means, give it a try!
Bruce

Isn't it a fuel solenoid not a shut down solenoid? In other words it need power to allow fuel to flow?
Just want to make sure you are comparing the correct part. There is a difference.

Isn't it a fuel solenoid not a shut down solenoid? In other words it need power to allow fuel to flow?
Just want to make sure you are comparing the correct part. There is a difference.

The part he's referencing is a shut down solenoid.

First of all, I have no idea who made the $35 part and I have no knowledge of the part other than to know what it is and does.
That being said...I have spent much of my life in the business of automobile maintenance and repair and I've seen more than my share of "knock off" parts that were not worth the time it took to remove them from the box. Parts that didn't fit or that failed or that caused something else to fail.

Of course there are times when the same part, made by the same manufacturer is available for a fraction of the cost somewhere else but in general, I tend to be cautious. If there is not a lot of labor involved in replacing the part, if failure doesn't endanger life or property and you are willing to suck up the labor in the event of a failure then by all means, give it a try!
Bruce

I don't trust other manufacturers especially when it's not a proven manufacturer with a good history and reputation. If it's the OEM manufacturer then the automotive part is good as long as it's not a part that required some form of marineizing. Now sometimes that is very subtle, nothing more than a thin coating or lubricant. I don't believe relevant in this case though as I think this is the same part used in trucks with no change.

BB, Nice sentiment I used to feel the same way... But realistically, weather we trust or not In many if not all areas.. the other mfg is making or rebuilding for the OEM

Why do so many made in China things look just like Made in USA named items?

quality suffers at both ends.. that which the OEM allows.. and what the "other" provides. Like for example, the metal used for brake drums and rotors..

@ $35 BUY 2!

BB, Nice sentiment I used to feel the same way... But realistically, weather we trust or not In many if not all areas.. the other mfg is making or rebuilding for the OEM

Why do so many made in China things look just like Made in USA named items?

quality suffers at both ends.. that which the OEM allows.. and what the "other" provides. Like for example, the metal used for brake drums and rotors..

@ $35 BUY 2!

Oh so you're going to go in planning for twice as many failures....You do it your way and I'll do it mine. I'm not buying parts for my engines from an unknown on ebay made in an unknown plant by unknown people. No thanks.

I've seen the damage that can be caused by such a part failure. I prefer to avoid that.

Last edited:

Bruce

Bruce yep, but you still don't know who made the part you get from the OEM either. Napa vs autozone.. don't get me started!
:popcorn:

and in my business it's the same thing. even long time trade names like westinghouse, honeywell, Johnson, all use "other" mfgs

My diesel needed a water pump. Kubota part # yup, made in china

Pay 3-400.. I don't care ..not my money yell that the people selling the parts. Sheese! if you can even get a OEM part.

Bruce yep, but you still don't know who made the part you get from the OEM either. Napa vs autozone.. don't get me started!
:popcorn:

and in my business it's the same thing. even long time trade names like westinghouse, honeywell, Johnson, all use "other" mfgs

My diesel needed a water pump. Kubota part # yup, made in china

I don't have to know who made it if I trust the quality control of the manufacturer supplying me. I trust Cummins, MTU, MAN, CAT, Lugger/Deere and a few others. I know it's not perfect, but I'm not the skeptic you are and I spent 25 years in manufacturing dealing with products sourced throughout the world.

As I said...you go your route, I'll go mine. I do know I've never been stranded by a parts failure. Maybe I will be tomorrow. Wasn't today though.

I found that purchasing Cummins parts for my 6BTA was less costly if I got them at the truck parts store (not like Autozone) instead of from the marine outlet. Did not buy knock-offs for engine-related parts.

I just called Cummins for price and availability on a fuel shut down solenoid for my 6BTA.

I would try another Cummins dealer first. Several years ago I bought one for my "C" series Cummins in the charter boat. Pretty sure it was under $100. This is also part of the reason to have a good relationship with a small dealer. With low overhead, they may discount parts. Both my Cat / Cummins dealer and my John Deere dealer treat me well. I make it a point to be friendly and not waste their time. We're on a first name basis. I come through the door with check book in hand.

Ted

I found that purchasing Cummins parts for my 6BTA was less costly if I got them at the truck parts store (not like Autozone) instead of from the marine outlet. Did not buy knock-offs for engine-related parts.

:banghead:
Where do you think that business got the parts?

Ok, just got off the phone with my Cummins guy. There are a handful of different solenoids for the "B" engine. They range from $80 to over $300. Definitely need your serial number to get the right one. If I was a betting man, I'd bet your $35 solenoid isn't going to be the fix if you need the $300 one.

Ted

Ok, just got off the phone with my Cummins guy. There are a handful of different solenoids for the "B" engine. They range from $80 to over $300. Definitely need your serial number to get the right one. If I was a betting man, I'd bet your $35 solenoid isn't going to be the fix if you need the $300 one.

Ted
:hide: can I come out now? :facepalm:

talk about kill the messenger! Sorry I hit a chord people, :flowers: but the way it is sadly, is not the way it was.

Throw the solenoid over the side of the boat and hear it splash. Get a string and tie it to the shutdown lever on pump. Route string through hole in deck. Pull on string, engine stops.

Carolina Style!!!

:hide: can I come out now? :facepalm:

talk about kill the messenger! Sorry I hit a chord people, :flowers: but the way it is sadly, is not the way it was.

It's all good. :flowers:

I'm with BandB, rarely use generic. Haven't got the time to do the same job twice.

Ted

My son and I restored 2 cars.. try.. just try and find OEM anything anymore is near impossible. We restored some old canoes. at least the wood came from Maine! :)

Nothing wrong with paying a premium for the manufacturers labled parts if you have the money to spend. At the same time, I don't mind buying parts from other providers. It all comes down to how critical the part is, it's complexity, the reputation of the off brand supplier, and the price difference.

FWIW, when I bought my boat there was a spare OEM raw water impeller on board and I tried to use it to replace the impeller. It would not fit. Finally realized that the splines on the impeller were not exactly sized correctly. I instead installed a much cheaper impeller from another manufacturer. It fit perfectly.

Just because it is stamped with the OEMs name and part number is no guarantee. However, I would agree with B that the odds are better that it will perform as advertised.

I purchase $35 stop solenoids for my 6BT. They (2) failed in less than 250 hrs. I bought them an eBay. I also purchase fuel pumps , cheap on line. Two leaked out the priming leaver. I will only buy Cummins parts now. That stop solenoid price is high. I paid $125.

I spent over 30 years working in the auto parts business. I still remember one day a customer came in looking for some wheel bearings for his Ford vehicle. When I brought them out and opened the box, they were stamped "made in China" Well, he wanted nothing to do with them, and off he went to the Ford dealer to get the good ones. An hour later he was back to buy ours. The Ford part was also made in China, and a lot more money.

Greetings,
I remember when I was a kid, "Made in Japan" was a sure sign of junk. 20 years ago, "Made in China" was viewed the same way. Yes, China still markets junk but also good quality items. IF the pseudo-Cummins part is, in fact, the one that will fit, I would spend the $35.

Greetings,
I remember when I was a kid, "Made in Japan" was a sure sign of junk. 20 years ago, "Made in China" was viewed the same way. Yes, China still markets junk but also good quality items. IF the pseudo-Cummins part is, in fact, the one that will fit, I would spend the $35.
My thoughts exactly :thumb:

I do not find it a no brainer at all. I see the cheap ebay parts shipped from China and of unknown quality and for me that's a no-brainer that I wouldn't go near them. Now, someone like Seahorse I would be far more likely to trust.

Download specs on my engine
Note the .com.au meaning Australian site.
http://www.cummins.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/NT855-DM-180-kW-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Bottom of brochure shows

Attachments

• china.JPG
    china.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
betcha the "Cummins"parts were made in China.
Right on boatpoker! I bought a stop/start solenoid from Cummins for my Onan(now Cummins). Came in a box emblazoned "Cummins Genuine Parts" etc and cost about $350. Get it out of the box, it`s made in China, by a different company.
Later someone on TF in sunny Qld. alerted me to one Ebay advertised as a replacement for the Cummins part number, at $60. Advert said it comes from China, it arrived in 1 day as there was local stock. It`s now a spare kept onboard, it looks the part, Cummins/Onan says if it plays up fit a new one.

Back
Top Bottom