View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #10
caltexflanc
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Fletch, you might be able to, depending on the beam definition and degree of scatter. I found it difficult to get those kind of details on most lights.

A friend of mine who worked with the California Dept of Transportation (CalTrans) in signage and lighting has great experience with state-of-the-art tech LED lighting, lenses and power supplies. He put together a custom built flashlight for me that is dangerously bright and focused. He cautioned me never to point it at anyone's face. It's a 2 D cell Maglight with new convex lens, reflector, power supply, LED, battery pack and recharging jack. I've never seen a flashlight that can hold a candle to it. (pun intended) I can use it out my stbd door of from the FB without illuminating the foredeck.

There are many new flashlights out there that might provide better focused lighting than the "flood lights". My aft facing spreader lights are LED floods that have a very significant amount of scattered light by design. I'd never want to point them forward for docking, though.
These are fantastic. So is the smaller version. I'd suggest the OP contact this company for advice on his original request. I'd also beg him not use a spotlight when there are other boats around, they are a safety hazard.

https://store.marinebeam.com/marineb...t-illuminator/

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote