older trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To answer the question about marinas by the month. Almost all marinas offer a monthly price that is often half the daily cost. A good way to travel. But, on your budget, consider anchoring at a cost of near $0.00. Also look into mooring balls by the month. A one of many nice spots is Washington NC monthly dockage $7.00 per foot per month with moorings for far less. Their daily rate is $1.25 per night. Take a look at Active Captain to get an idea of Marina costs.
Arch

Anchoring out was always my families way of boating; remains mine today. Dock staying (at annual berth or marinas during travel) while aboard boat is less than 1% for me)

Hanging on anchor while aboard boat - is boating! Docking while aboard boat is, well - docking. :lol:

Happy Boat-Stay Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited:
I really enjoy being on the hook also, when cruising the Chesapeake bay it was great!

Please everyone, don't take me as set on one type of boat even though I l love the larger traditional boats.

Hanging on anchor while aboard boat - is boating! Docking while aboard boat is, well - docking. :lol:

Shore power and showers and WiFi and poker games at the home marina have their attractions. They can bridge the city to the wild.

Shore power and showers and WiFi and poker games at the home marina have their attractions. They can bridge the city to the wild.

Each to their own. Different strokes for different folks. We live in very rural area (but, just 40 minutes to center San Francisco) and anchor out... because we B liken quiet whenever we can.

My general wake time is 4:30 to 5:00; sleep, 9:30 to 10:00... whether home or aboard. Lots of day activities in all locations. Good eve movies on boat, after dusk. :thumb:

Thanks Way,, but a Trawler would be the only boat for me. I know about older powerboats.

I suspect you're making a distinction here, but I don't exactly see what it might be. An older trawler is an older powerboat...

??

-Chris

I suspect you're making a distinction here, but I don't exactly see what it might be. An older trawler is an older powerboat...

??

-Chris
Go fast boats just sit, sailboats and trawler types or boats with amenities seem to get used more

It's the captain that makes the boat go, not the hull design or engines.....:D

Used to also be the wallet....but the fuel price drop took the wallet out of the short list....:thumb:

Go fast boats just sit, sailboats and trawler types or boats with amenities seem to get used more

Bazillions of "old powerboats" are not go-fast type... and yet are not "trawler-like" either.

Picking something out of the blue, look at an older single-screw Shamrock (for instance), neither trawler nor go-fast. Sea Rays older '80s model 34 sedan flybridge boats might be another example; neither trawler nor go-fast. And so forth...

Although maybe your definition of go-fast might come into play...

What brands/models do you find if you search only on your preferred length and diesel?

What he said.

:)

-Chris

Used to also be the wallet....but the fuel price drop took the wallet out of the short list....:thumb:

That (previously constant) short list item can still get pretty tall if you've a big single or twins and want to push a heavy ol' fully outfitted pleasure cruiser fast!

Loping along at a bit below hill speed can give 2 + nmpg... if you go real slow on just one screw of the twins coming to 3 nmpg is possible. This is the case even in heavy older boats that hold power plant capable of well over 20 knot cruise. 20 + knot cruise can begin to really suck down fuel tank levels... like at the 1/3 to 1/2 nmpg rate - especially in heavily constructed, fully loaded, older pleasure boats.

Oh no Art.....everytimne I talk about fuel economy about being important, the hordes emerge and say how insignificant the cost of fuel is in boat ownership....:D

I am not letting you slip one by.....:rofl:

Oh no Art.....everytimne I talk about fuel economy about being important, the hordes emerge and say how insignificant the cost of fuel is in boat ownership....:D

I am not letting you slip one by.....:rofl:

Fairly insignificant if boat owner only does 25 to 50 hrs. annual speed fest! :eek: :D

If boat owner does 50 hrs. use: At 1/2 nmpg doing 25 knots = 50 gal per hr. X 50 hrs. annual use = 2,500 gals X $3.00 per gal = $7,500 annual fuel bill. From there on fuel gets to be a real significant cost toward annual boat ownership. :facepalm:

If boat owner does 250 hrs use: At 3 nmpg doing 6 knots = 2 gal per hr. X 250 hrs. annual use = 500 gals X $3.00 per gal = $1,500 annual fuel bill. :thumb:

Now that is a fairly insignificant fuel cost with some hours enjoyment cruising and actually seeing things as you pass by...in comparison to boat ownership total annual cost. :popcorn:

I saw a mainship 40 at the jersey shore on craig's list for 18K geeze

I like the Cape Dory boats too!

1986 Cape Dory 28 Hardtop Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
5473697_20151214161101848_1_XLARGE.jpg

Last edited:
If you're interested in low fuel burn and considering planing boats or nearly so (many trawlers are) you'd be best off finding one that is light like an old plywood boat and w a small engine. Some of those boats are more fuel efficient than lots of the heavy trawlers at trawler speeds. Narrow helps too.

Thanks for the suggestion Willy, but, because I'm wooden boat lover I don't want one. I like mid range speed But don't need it. the pocket size boats seem just right for my dreams of 3/4 time live aboard

Thanks for the suggestion Willy, but, because I'm wooden boat lover I don't want one. I like mid range speed But don't need it. the pocket size boats seem just right for my dreams of 3/4 time live aboard

That said: I recommend an older wooden Chris Craft, Owens, Trojan, Egg Harbor... etc... somewhere in the 28 to 36' range. There are some really nice, inexpensive, classic (not necessary old enough to be antique - but, that too could work) wood ones out there; ya just gotta look deep!

I'll tell you from experience. Originally well built old woodies amount to about 2X time, money, and effort - compared to old fiberglass. :popcorn:

That said: I recommend an older wooden Chris Craft, Owens, Trojan, Egg Harbor... etc... somewhere in the 28 to 36' range. There are some really nice, inexpensive, classic (not necessary old enough to be antique - but, that too could work) wood ones out there; ya just gotta look deep!

I'll tell you from experience. Originally well built old woodies amount to about 2X time, money, and effort - compared to old fiberglass. :popcorn:
ARRRRG! :censored::peace:

I have an 83' 1942 wood boat. It's all in what you want. Twin screws makes docking easier and gives you reliability in duplication. Diesel is cheaper than gas in the long run and probably in the short run, too.

I have an 83' 1942 wood boat. It's all in what you want. Twin screws makes docking easier and gives you reliability in duplication. Diesel is cheaper than gas in the long run and probably in the short run, too.

Would love to see photos! Please... :)

Blessings upon you sir!

I purchased a 1983 30' Tung Hwa clipper in 2011. It is a Taiwan sedan style boat built at the Lien Hwa boat yard. I'm not sure if that boat yard produced boats with better materials??? but It has teak decks, PO replaced fly bridge teak with fiberglass, original tanks (no outside/top rust), fiberglass hull that is extremely thick.... Decks are surprisingly solid after 30 years. I've owned the boat for 5 years and found that it's not practical to chase problems on these boats. I fix things as they come and maintain her very well. I do not treat her as an investment.... I treat her as a tool, a vehicle to experience family memories. I don't expect to get what I paid for her when I let her go (although I'd get more right now). I'm perfectly willing to donate her, if necessary, once I use her all up and get every last positive memory from her.... Kinda like a car. With that said, I did get the boat under covered moorage to minimize potential water intrusion. It's been operating wonderfully for 30+ years..... I have no doubt It'll be around for decades longer. My family has been so blessed with the performance of this boat and its Lehman engine, which has never let me down. We take it all over the San Juan islands and the Canadian Gulf islands. The NW has been a wonderful experience boating.

If you go into a TT with the knowledge of what to look for, the proper expectations, you can get one sized right and close to your price range. Just don't be the person to replace everything, financially dumping your retirement for the next boater to enjoy... Ideally you'll find a boat that some other poor soul did the work for you, spent their own money to "get it right". It's a $30K boat after all, a memory maker, not an investment. Good luck!

Last edited:
I purchased a 1983 30' Tung Hwa clipper in 2011. It is a Taiwan sedan style boat built at the Lien Hwa boat yard. I'm not sure if that boat yard produced boats with better materials??? but It has teak decks, PO replaced fly bridge teak with fiberglass, original tanks (no outside/top rust), fiberglass hull that is extremely thick.... Decks are surprisingly solid after 30 years. I've owned the boat for 5 years and found that it's not practical to chase problems on these boats. I fix things as they come and maintain her very well. I do not treat her as an investment.... I treat her as a tool, a vehicle to experience family memories. I don't expect to get what I paid for her when I let her go (although I'd get more right now). I'm perfectly willing to donate her, if necessary, once I use her all up and get every last positive memory from her.... Kinda like a car. With that said, I did get the boat under covered moorage to minimize potential water intrusion. It's been operating wonderfully for 30+ years..... I have no doubt It'll be around for decades longer. My family has been so blessed with the performance of this boat and its Lehman engine, which has never let me down. We take it all over the San Juan islands and the Canadian Gulf islands. The NW has been a wonderful experience boating.

If you go into a TT with the knowledge of what to look for, the proper expectations, you can get one sized right and close to your price range. Just don't be the person to replace everything, financially dumping your retirement for the next boater to enjoy... Ideally you'll find a boat that some other poor soul did the work for you, spent their own money to "get it right". It's a $30K boat after all, a memory maker, not an investment. Good luck!

Pics of Adelaide.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468941100.556242.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468940831.955845.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468940910.699466.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468940935.205599.jpg

Denise,

Belated response and others already provided good answers. I can add the following:

1. Absolutely! Trawlers are one of life's better inventions. Older trawlers are indeed a bargain, provided you both can and enjoy working on the boat. Its an ongoing thing.

2. Although hard because many older boats had multiple owners, it's crucial to buy from a knowledgeable-not-afraid-to-spend-a-buck previous owner. A written history log is a good hint, as is a compliment of spares, labels and general care in previous work.

3. You're right on with a single engine. This allows you boat size as big as you can go. Like a sailboat, a longer trawler will go faster/smoother but with (almost) no extra cost (sail area, crew size, fuel) besides dock space. Meaning, if you make the labor effort, you should maximize the gain.

4. The original construction is not as important as how the boat survived till today. Is it sound? overbuilt? There are enough solid FG hull construction trawlers on the market to warrant favoring them.

5. Surveys are nice. but four years later I'm still finding stuff even the best surveyor couldn't possibly find in four hours. Take your time, enjoy the search; be ready to pass even if the price is enticing and nearby. Then, be brave and trust your senses. You seem quite capable.

Back
Top Bottom