Tipping Delivery Captain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tipping suggestions have crept well beyond 15 percent. Now, 18 and 20 percent are expected! It is out of control. Staff are making more (net) than the owner.

While not trying to stir the pot,I just retired after being an electrician for 45 years.I took great pride in my work,was always neat,and clean,and NEVER received a tip.I have been in peoples attics when it was 115 degrees,so so much for working above and beyond the norm.Unless the capt. had to deal with incredible situations,I would not tip simply for doing his job.Returning a boat clean,if that is the way he found it,is not going above and beyond. I always put down paper in peoples homes if the job was going to create a mess,or if the weather was not nice.I don't consider that going above and beyond,simply returning the premises to the condition as it was found,Again part of the job.

Tipping suggestions have crept well beyond 15 percent. Now, 18 and 20 percent are expected! It is out of control. Staff are making more (net) than the owner.

Both my boys worked their way through university as servers (used to be called waiters) in high end restaurants. Here in Ontario servers make less than minimum wage, students make less again. They both made good money but gave up 20% of their tips to the owner and another 10% to kitchen staff and bus boys. There are other areas of NA where staff work for tips only (legal or not). I do not generally support the whole tipping culture but because of my boys, I do tend to tip servers well.

I have only ever accepted one tip ..... I had just delivered a Fleming 55 with my son who was still in university at the time. The owner had recently lost his son and thought it was great that my son and I worked so well together. I simply could not refuse the $8k tip on an $8k job when he insisted (with tears in his eyes) it go to my sons education.

Last edited:
Swings and roundabouts I reckon.
How many times in the past have you paid full price for average or less than average results?

Maybe we have been forced to accept average for so long that when we come across someone who actually does their job with enthusiasm and professionalism it feels special, when in reality it is not.

I know that seems the case over here at least, very few old skool tradies left, no shortage of unreliable and very average tradies charging exorbitant rates.

Well, I try not to overthink it. If I'm very pleased, I tip. I was grateful for tips when I was at a different phase of my life and like to return the custom for service that's above and beyond. My money, my call. YMMV.

They have in restaurants but not in boating and yachting. They did around 2008 but the European group of charterers got into it and set guidelines.

I used to save people's lives left and right...illegal for me to accept a tip.

Later in life, people would tip me $100 bucks for towing in their 17 foot Whaler for an hour which was about as easy as it got.

What the heck are most of you talking about?

If you didn't get tipped, maybe nobody liked you....harsh but true. I have had 10 different marine jobs since retiring from the USCG, most part time and have been tipped in every one of them.

Did I expect to? Never.......was it nice? Yep..and dozens of tips I refused because of many reasons. Other times, the tip was generous, so I stuck around and saved them a $200 plus yard bill for the $50 they gave me.

So all I can say is when I worked for minimum wage or less saving people's lives or boats...I couldn't accept tips...but when I had a cake job, they came in gobs sometimes.

Life balances out and I figure out no matter how much you make, for whatever reason, if you deserve a tip...take it graciously, you probably earned it.

I was a lousy tipper till I started getting them.....probably now, I started tipping so we'll to cool people, I have given back way more in tips that I ever got.....

And you know what???? It feels pretty damned good when I see that big smile.......

Last edited:
It's a personal decision. Anyone on this board that owns a boat probably worked hard to get it, and my guess is there are not a lot of silver spoons. With that said we are all fortunate to own boats and enjoy this life style. I like to tip anyone that helps me in this process including the the guy at the gas dock, and the delivery person if that situation ever came up with a nice tip. Good karma.

A like your taste in IPA's.

Out here in CA, some delivery captains charge more heading north than they do coming south along the CA coast because of the pounding they must endure during the slog northbound.

I'll drive your boat any day for $350 per day plus expenses...and no tipping expected! I might be too high maintenance, though. Your liquor cabinet will be full when I arrive, but your fridge may become a little lighter during evening stops.

img_459646_0_9a1273e6434f00ec67b00fc80b9951be.jpg

It's a personal decision. Anyone on this board that owns a boat probably worked hard to get it, and my guess is there are not a lot of silver spoons. With that said we are all fortunate to own boats and enjoy this life style. I like to tip anyone that helps me in this process including the the guy at the gas dock, and the delivery person if that situation ever came up with a nice tip. Good karma.
As simple as it gets.....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

mr. sneed,are you referring to me as not being "liked"?

You decide...I am just pointing out my experiences and why someone who did a good job might have never been tipped.

If you lived or worked where tipping was a rare thing, then of course not.

But pretty much anyplace I have been in the USA, if you impressed people, they wanted to express their gratitude in some way. Like movers, a common tip was having food and beverage available. Not really a tip, but the same in the long run. The better they did the job, the better the food and beverage was through and at the end of the day.

Again, this whole concept is so simple, hard to understand people's confusion.

You don't go to jail if you don't tip, but if you do.....the next time you need xxx, the chances your service will be better is good as the person you decided to reward the first time.

Your call.

Last edited:

Wifey B: I think how super lucky and fortunate I am. The people I tip aren't as lucky, yet they help me and are nice doing so. I like helping them back by rewarding them for a job well done and greatly appreciated. We own some beauty salons and that's a tip dependent business. We pay well, but the tips just push their earnings a level higher and they treasure them not just because of the money but they represent a happy customer. I will always tip...make that overtip....and those who don't like it, tough .... luck, although not the word I was thinking. My first jobs I depended on tips to be able to have a place to live, to be able to eat. You feel it if you've ever been a waitress and got paid and every dollar went to your landlord and the only way you eat tonight is the tips you get today. Worse if you have kids and that's the only way they'll eat.

Now none of this is relevant to delivery captains, except the generally accepted practices. :)

And I don't fault those of you who choose not to tip delivery captains or electricians or plumbers. But you sure as h... better tip your waiter or waitress...or I'll get....well, you know...

And that is the real problem in this thread...there is no generally accepted practice that I know of.

And I know a good number of delivery captains with all kinds of sources of employment, delerships, manufacturers, marinas, private individuals, etc, etc...

And that is the real problem in this thread...there is no generally accepted practice that I know of.

And I know a good number of delivery captains with all kinds of sources of employment, delerships, manufacturers, marinas, private individuals, etc, etc...

That was the entire genesis of this thread to find out what was appropriate and get a feeling for the generally accepted practice. You're right, there is not a universal practice, so it's hard for one to know. In that circumstance, I would choose to tip. I don't think they'll ever be angry at you for tipping. Plus you might just need their services again. Somehow we got into the world of tips and Australia and Waitresses and all the other. However, I think tipping philosophies and beliefs by various of us do influence our answer to this question. I think the OP reached a very reasonable conclusion in spite of all the static around him.

That was the entire genesis of this thread to find out what was appropriate and get a feeling for the generally accepted practice. You're right, there is not a universal practice, so it's hard for one to know. I think the OP reached a very reasonable conclusion in spite of all the static around him.

Fair comment, but boy am I glad that in NZ and Aussie we don't tip at all, unless for something exceptional and beyond the call of duty as it were.

And to tinped, all I can say is, you sound like my kind of tradesman, and even though I wouldn't have tipped you either, not because I didn't like you, but because I would see you charged a fair price for an excellent job, so the 'tip' I would give you, as I do all my favourite tradies, (as we call them here in Oz), is to tip off other potential customers how good you are at your job. It's called 'word of mouth' referring, and worth way more than any 10-15% tip on the day I reckon. :D

Last edited:
But good staff is what keeps a business in business.

And the owner should reward them accordingly
Its not my job to do so.

Americans are now visiting parts of Asia and bringing their bad habits with them as most parts of the world dont tip, some parts actually take offense.
Years gone bye if a rounded a bill up to the nearest paper note more often than not I would be chased down the street as staff tried to return my change.
Now, because of "Tipsters" I more often than not get a sour look and a rude comment if doing that. Friends living there tell me that Americans will think nothing of leaving the equivalent of $5 or $10 after a meal as a tip in establishments where the bill was possibly less and that sort of money is equivalent to a days pay.
While not trying to stir the pot,I just retired after being an electrician for 45 years.I took great pride in my work,was always neat,and clean,and NEVER received a tip.I have been in peoples attics when it was 115 degrees,so so much for working above and beyond the norm.
Same here.
I get paid to do a job, if it ends up taking longer or its harder than I thought and I haven't allowed for it thats my problem not the customers.

And to tinped, all I can say is, you sound like my kind of tradesman, and even though I wouldn't have tipped you either, not because I didn't like you, but because I would see you charged a fair price for an excellent job, so the 'tip' I would give you, as I do all my favourite tradies, (as we call them here in Oz), is to tip off other potential customers how good you are at your job. It's called 'word of mouth' referring, and worth way more than any 10-15% tip on the day I reckon. :D
This. ^^^
And any of you that want a tip heres one..... Be nice to your mother. ;)

And the owner should reward them accordingly
Its not my job to do so.

Americans are now visiting parts of Asia and bringing their bad habits with them as most parts of the world dont tip, some parts actually take offense.
Years gone bye if a rounded a bill up to the nearest paper note more often than not I would be chased down the street as staff tried to return my change.
Now, because of "Tipsters" I more often than not get a sour look and a rude comment if doing that. Friends living there tell me that Americans will think nothing of leaving the equivalent of $5 or $10 after a meal as a tip in establishments where the bill was possibly less and that sort of money is equivalent to a days pay.
Same here.
I get paid to do a job, if it ends up taking longer or its harder than I thought and I haven't allowed for it thats my problem not the customers.

Sooo. You're blaming us for being a generous nation. I'll accept that accusation with pride. :D

And in places you are considered a jerk if you pay full street price and don't barter....

Learn customs and manners of others...

But just because tipping doesn't happen where you are or to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen or is improper at all.

And I do agree that tourists should be careful of over indulging in their traditions when they visit places. That can include those that visit the USA.

Last edited:
Anyone here tip their accountant, attorney, plumber, or electrician?

Yes to all... and many others as well. If they do a good job, why not? Sometimes even a little bit makes their day, buys them lunch for the day, or a couple of beers. Everybody feels good at the end of the day :)

So to the OP, if they did a good job, I would say to at least consider it. Percentage is up to you.

Last edited:
I tip but only for better than average service, whatever that service is. Used to say "better than exceptional service" but exceptional is much harder to find now a days.
That being said I bought lunch for our buyers broker the other day since I feel that he has helped us a lot with our search.
Hope this doesn't go off-topic too much. But if our broker does an overnight trip to see a boat with us should we offer to pay his expenses for hotel and meals? He is a free-lance broker meaning he isn't a regular employee of any particular brokerage.

Reminds me of a couple tipping stories from many years ago...

My buddy, Ted, and I were flying a Twin Cessna (C-402) on a charter to an airport in a ritzy vacation destination in the bottom of a narrow but deep canyon surrounded by mountains. The weather was right at minimums for the approach. The approach delivered us to a point above the canyon rim. Once we saw the airport in marginal visibility and heavy cloud cover, we were then required is to proceed visually for the descent and maneuvering INTO the T-shaped canyon. The only way to turn around at our speed was to maneuver away from the airport to the intersection of the canyon T. It required great teamwork and communication and when we landed, we knew we had done a great job for the client.

As we were unloading his bags to the limo driver, the client approached us with his wallet and cash in hand. We knew we were going to get tipped for our professionalism and a job well done. The client than proceeded to give a roll of bills to the limo driver! We were young, starving pilots at the time and felt deflated!!

The only time I was ever tipped as a pilot was by a guy who chartered regularly for short notice flights from Harrisburg, PA into the DC and NYC Metro airports. Months later, I was visited by the FBI who told me that the guy was moving small packages of cocaine on my flights! I knew nothing about that and they were emphatic about not suspecting me but they were putting together their case against him. The guy was arrested a couple days later.

I'm going to see Ted on the Chesapeake in a couple weeks. Surely we will retell that story and laugh about it.

Wifey B: I think how super lucky and fortunate I am. The people I tip aren't as lucky, yet they help me and are nice doing so. I like helping them back by rewarding them for a job well done and greatly appreciated. .... My first jobs I depended on tips to be able to have a place to live, to be able to eat. You feel it if you've ever been a waitress and got paid and every dollar went to your landlord and the only way you eat tonight is the tips you get today. Worse if you have kids and that's the only way they'll eat.

I was always an average tipper for servers. I never had a job where I worked for tips, always either hourly wages or jobs that I contracted for. Of course, no one tips their eye doctor other than the occasional fresh caught fish or baked goods. Then my kids had jobs in the service sector. My attitudes towards tipping changed. I now am a fairly generous tipper unless the service is poor.

Now none of this is relevant to delivery captains, except the generally accepted practices. :)

The situation as I see it is that delivery captains are independent contractors (same with sole proprietors of any type). They bid a job and I assume what they bid is what they deem fair so I wouldn't tip unless they somehow go above and beyond what I had contracted for or expected.

I am having my boat compounded, polished, and waxed this week. I will pay the guy the agreed amount, but likely would never tip unless something unusual comes up.

Yes, but the OP wasn't in or talking about Australia. Obviously the tipping custom is much different in the US.

It's also common in certain parts of yachting worldwide. Those who charter yachts are absolutely expected to tip and that is worldwide.

Tips are for people who don't make a full compensated salary it's designed to increase productivity from a non or semi skilled professional (Hair Stylist) and or low skilled boring job, Wait Staff, Nail Salon, Car Wash, Door Man, to encourage and keep costs down based on performance or lack of. Slow service lower pay, and the opposite. Someone in a skilled trade is charging you a full agreed value. If a tip is needed and or expected you chose the wrong one. That is true in the US too. :trash:

Tips are for people who don't make a full compensated salary it's designed to increase productivity from a non or semi skilled professional (Hair Stylist) and or low skilled boring job, Wait Staff, Nail Salon, Car Wash, Door Man, to encourage and keep costs down based on performance or lack of. Slow service lower pay, and the opposite. Someone in a skilled trade is charging you a full agreed value. If a tip is needed and or expected you chose the wrong one. That is true in the US too. :trash:

X2

If a tip is needed and or expected you chose the wrong one. That is true in the US too. :trash:

Every charter yacht I've ever heard of the crew expects a tip at the end of the charter. It is made clear by the charter broker.

The delivery and independent weekend or trip captains I know, get tipped by nearly all their customers. They don't require it. They do anticipate it happening, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. They do the extra along the way to merit it. I know three captains who do deliveries and trips and all three get tipped over 90% of the time. I can't speak for any other than those three.

So I just can't agree with applying your statement to delivery captains. I agree on most other professionals but it still doesn't mean I won't tip when merited.

Done deal in our case. Tipped at 11% as it made a nice round figure. The boat arrived clean, washed down, holding tank pumped, ice replaced and fuel topped up. Minor damage not their fault. No charges to us for meals (although they did, at our urging, eat down a small amount of our fridge and sundowners out of our liquor cabinet). Boat ran perfectly per Capt who is also a boat surveyor. Asked him if, as a surveyor, he saw anything needing attention on the boat and he said no, the boat is in great shape. But, with a twinkle in his eye, he suggested maybe a stabilizer system for his next trip. Rough first day into 5'-6' seas with green water over the bow with rollers at an angle.

Last edited:
Done deal in our case. Tipped at 11% as it made a nice round figure. The boat arrived clean, washed down, holding tank pumped, ice replaced and fuel topped up. Minor damage not their fault. No charges to us for meals (although they did, at our urging, eat down a small amount of our fridge and liquor cabinet).

Sorry to hear about the minor damage. Glad you were pleased with their service.

Sorry to hear about the minor damage. Glad you were pleased with their service.

Should have said inconsequential damage. The damage was to a cheap storage ottoman that had a leg fold up.

Back
Top Bottom