Smaller Trawler names?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you everyone, really!
Gad! there are so many boats out there!
You ALL have been very helpful!
Thank you!

This is what I like! 1987 Albin Sport Cruiser powerboat for sale in New York

My assumption would be that it is very possible to make her look more livable if I found one well under 20k. But it's all a couple years away
main.jpg

If you like the albin don't discount looking for 'Rosborough'. They are a really well built, trailer able boat with several propulsion options. They have several house designs also. Full cabin, Half cabin and like the albin a cuddy cabin. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-ROSBOROUGH-246-102549979

Keep your eyes open. You will eventually find the boat that fills your needs/expectations.

Last edited:
My assumption would be that it is very possible to make her look more livable if I found one well under 20k. But it's all a couple years away
main.jpg

Denise, the price on this one is pretty fat, soldboats.com seems to tell a different story although not many of this model there.

Attachments

• albin.jpg
    albin.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 83

I know a couple of people who spent a lot of time trying to find an Albin recently. One, a broker, finally found one in decent condition for her customer, the 5th or 6th boat she checked or had checked out. The other looked at just as many and finally gave up and bought a new Glacier Bay. Just a lot of issues from poor maintenance. Maybe you'll have better luck when the time comes.

That sport cruiser is a day/weekend boat. Not conducive for longer cruises. Not a "trawler." But then, I'm not well aware of your boating wants.

The albin 28 is much larger jus saying,. But I am aware that it's not live aboard layout

The albinowners forum also is a great place to find Albins for sale. I was curious about the Great Loop a month ago and fell in love with Albins. We weren't planning to seriously consider cruising for several years, but found an Albin that was just too good to pass up. The aft cabin was removed, and helm extended to a salon / living area with an open aft to fish from and easy entry. Size is perfect for us as well, so we made the offer and if all goes well with the survey, she'll be ours by Saturday!

The albinowners forum also is a great place to find Albins for sale. I was curious about the Great Loop a month ago and fell in love with Albins. We weren't planning to seriously consider cruising for several years, but found an Albin that was just too good to pass up. The aft cabin was removed, and helm extended to a salon / living area with an open aft to fish from and easy entry. Size is perfect for us as well, so we made the offer and if all goes well with the survey, she'll be ours by Saturday!

Hope the survey goes well for you. Albin is a great boat for the purposes of many. It just seems of those on the market in the last year or so, an exceptionally high percentage have really been in bad shape. On the other hand I know one found in NJ that was pristine.

I could imagine that fitted with a nice enclosure over the cockpit, with sections of removable side and aft panels... and with some minimal but comfortable lounging furniture in the new (dry) "saloon" that could create...

-Chris

Always my thought for a semi liveaboard....

Till the price of a nice enclosure outpaced the price of used bigger boats....:eek:

If handy or creative enough..that is a nice way to go.

My current boat had it not been a liveabord would have been a lobster yacht with an extended overhead if I could find one or would have done it myself. I would have added roll down curtains to make a 3 season saloon. And it would have been a great snowbirder.

This is what I like! 1987 Albin Sport Cruiser powerboat for sale in New York

Here's one for 12k....looks decent on the pictures and although I don't know anything about engines yet, this one doesn't look like the one I tentatively bought (D461) so it seems like a great deal with the bigger engine.especially if you have a motorcycle to get rid of!

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/boa/5634197412.html

This might also be a late enough model to not have the problems that the older models have (pilot house seams).

I actually thought of contacting the owner of that one BK.
thank you.

Always my thought for a semi liveaboard....

Till the price of a nice enclosure outpaced the price of used bigger boats....:eek:

If handy or creative enough..that is a nice way to go.

My current boat had it not been a liveabord would have been a lobster yacht with an extended overhead if I could find one or would have done it myself. I would have added roll down curtains to make a 3 season saloon. And it would have been a great snowbirder.

Something similar to this? Just closed on her today...soon to be cruising around the Chesapeake Bay. We got lucky....excellent condition, redone by a dear man who spent the last 3 years redoing almost everything...we are the new, very happy owners of the 'Mary Jo', a 1984 Albin 27 FC!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 77
Something similar to this? Just closed on her today...soon to be cruising around the Chesapeake Bay. We got lucky....excellent condition, redone by a dear man who spent the last 3 years redoing almost everything...we are the new, very happy owners of the 'Mary Jo', a 1984 Albin 27 FC!
Exactly what I had in mind! Except the grassy roof lol congrats!

actually more like this and I would have the galley in the cockpit and at least one big comfy chair below...

Attachments

• imagesNVNJ1SO4.jpg
    imagesNVNJ1SO4.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 263
Here's another plug for Nimble Nomads. When I was in the market for a boat, my criteria was that I wanted the roomiest boat that I could easily trailer without a commercial vehicle (ie. Dodge Durango, GMC Acadia, etc.) and that had that "salty" look (no clorox bottle boats). The Nimble Nomad fit that to a tee. She has an OB that pushes her easily at 6.5 knots and burns about 1/2 gallon an hour. She also can easily go 60 knots on the highway. Perfect for two. I can launch and load on the trailer single-handed.
They are a niche boat with a loyal following. I got mine 3 years ago and she has been in the Great Lakes, Erie Canal, SW Florida, and, if things go according to plan, she will spend a good chunk of next winter in the Florida Keys.
I know that there are a couple of nice boats currently for sale.
I could not be happier with mine. :thumb:

Attachments

• 11425098_817084928361286_1531312788425942173_n.jpg
    11425098_817084928361286_1531312788425942173_n.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 184
  • loafs fishes 1.jpg
    loafs fishes 1.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 187
Another thumbs up for Nimble Boats!

I visited the Nimble Boats factory in Lutz sometime ago and their newer (?) location in Tampa. The Nimble Nomad is quite roomy and an overall well designed trawler. I was also fond of the little Nimble Vagabond.

:thumb: :smitten: for Nimble Boats

Last edited:
The area in front of the pilothouse windows is the "front cockpit", with 2 seats. With high sides, a VERY secure place to stand while anchoring and line tending. I know of no other boat this size that offers this feature.

I think Nimble Nomads are absolutely perfect for certain users. I also think Rosborough Boats are an incredible niche boat. What a wonderful way to get into cruising.

Yes most real Albins (made in Sweden) are old and getting rough to very rough. But some like project boats. Probably no Rosbrorough project boats around as the Rosbrorough has'nt been around for long. Some old boats have been refit to very high standards and extremely desirable as a durable boat. Many that look like that though are only half baked.

The area in front of the pilothouse windows is the "front cockpit", with 2 seats. With high sides, a VERY secure place to stand while anchoring and line tending. I know of no other boat this size that offers this feature.

That is an important criteria. And I'll bet it is a lovely area to sit around chatting too.

When you head this way give a call. I'm in St. Pete (Tampa Bay area, west side of the peninsula) and the Keys are on the tentative itinerary. It's all written in beach sand so no promises, eh?

I've got a website friend (Pam) who is looking for her own Nimble Nomad. Of course she is on a budget (aren't we all?) and price matters. Finding a hidden gem is her goal.

Congratulations on yours. Loafs and Fishes is great... The name paints a perfect picture of a gentleman fisherman. Enjoy.

I know it's sacrilege, but when I saw this pontoon trawler off the Gulf Coast ICW in north Longboat Key, I started wondering if I would end up with such a boat after my cruising goals are fading. These pontoon boats are popular around this part of SW Florida. They've got lots of protected cruising grounds, and the so-called "Tri-Toons" have more capacity and stability. For economical cruising and a good turn of speed, 90 HP would do. their flat platform over pontoon design makes it easy to build any cabin style within the buoyancy capabilities of the pontoons. I mean, the "trawler" term has already been stretched to include a wide spectrum of vessels, including catamarans. Could pontoons be next? The first photo below is the one I shot here locally. The second is what may be possible with a tri-toon platform. Forward raked windshield, of course.

Attachments

• pontoon trawlette-lift.jpg
    pontoon trawlette-lift.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 69
  • pontoon trawler moded.jpg
    pontoon trawler moded.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Pontoon Trawler?

That's over the top.

The lower one actually looks better w the wannabe wheelhouse windows.

Last edited:
I know it's sacrilege, but when I saw this pontoon trawler off the Gulf Coast ICW in north Longboat Key, I started wondering if I would end up with such a boat after my cruising goals are fading. These pontoon boats are popular around this part of SW Florida. They've got lots of protected cruising grounds, and the so-called "Tri-Toons" have more capacity and stability. For economical cruising and a good turn of speed, 90 HP would do. their flat platform over pontoon design makes it easy to build any cabin style within the buoyancy capabilities of the pontoons. I mean, the "trawler" term has already been stretched to include a wide spectrum of vessels, including catamarans. Could pontoons be next? The first photo below is the one I shot here locally. The second is what may be possible with a tri-toon platform. Forward raked windshield, of course.

Pontoons have gained a tremendous percentage of the lake market. At one time it was inexpensive 18 or 20' with small outboards around 40 hp. Now most seem to be 24-28' with outboards of 90-150 hp and some with inboard-outboards. The furniture has gotten extremely fancy with seating, grills, and more. They're the party boats on the lake. Now you see them with full enclosures, some with an upper deck, and now the cabins like the ones you showed. Tritoons have been around a while but their percentage of the market has grown slowly. Now, they have a significant percentage. Pontoons have gone from inexpensive $20,000 boats to some running over $100,000.

Boats similar to those shown are now on lakes as pontoon houseboats. For those cruising inland or ICW they fit needs well. They're great boats to take the kids or grandkids out on a Sunday afternoon and let them fish a little.

I don't see them ever doing huge volume on the coast simply because in my mind they are limited very much in their cruising area. Still, they have a place.

So you have an FRP houseboat (Stardust 65'} and want a trawler what is the obvious thing to do .... buy a trawler, cut off the bow and graft it on to the front of the houseboat ..... This is not photoshopped, I actually surveyed this one.

Last edited:
Holy smokes. Now that's better than Photoshop!

Holy crap! Just went through the interior shots and that really is a houseboat dressed in motor yacht clothing.

How'd it survey???

So you have an FRP houseboat (Stardust 65'} and want a trawler what is the obvious thing to do .... buy a trawler, cut off the bow and graft it on to the front of the houseboat ..... This is not photoshopped, I actually surveyed this one.

Oh wow, that's interesting. It looks like they did a beautiful job with the interior. What did your survey make of her? Did you give the stamp of approval?

Oh wow, that's interesting. It looks like they did a beautiful job with the interior. What did your survey make of her? Did you give the stamp of approval?

Structurally .... a tank. A difference of opinion on value :) and although I'm not going to give specifics on line, a good eye will spot some serious issues in the engine compartment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom