MS 34T engine access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mainship400

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Glacier Bay 2770
I just recently sold my 400T and thinking about a 34 T as a replacement. I am wondering about engine access? Is the only way to get at them is thru the stairway hatch? Or is the a salon access? I would prefer a twin engine but concerned about the tight access. Any work a Rounds?

I used to own a single engine 34T with no genset. In that configuration, engine access was very good. I could sit on bucket on either side and work comfortably. Yes you have to open the stairs and go down but that means you don't have a noisy hatch in the main cabin.

Adding a generator blocks access to the back of the engine, but you can get around the other three sides and still reach everything.

I haven't been on a twin engine 34T, but I think access would be acceptable. That boat has a very wide beam which helps.

David

Can't speak to a twin, but the S/E 34T has the best engine access I've seen in a boat this size.

In fact the engine room has great access to the engine, transmission, generator, batteries, steering gear, isolation transformers, water heater and water pump... This access is one of the primary reasons I selected this model boat.

The layout is very different from the 40T. It is really worth finding a 34T and just looking around the ER.

Again, this is my experience with a S/E model.

Thanks, I did get a chance to spend a few minutes on a 34T with a single engine and generator. Felt a little claustrophobic, but maybe I would get used to it....It was not very obvious how to easily access the port side, but maybe I need to go back and look at it again. I was having a hard time picturing how the access would be with twins. I would like to be able to run at about 14 knots, hence thinking about twins.
Sorry for the thread creep but contrasting the 34T and the 400T, I really like the layout of the 34T salon/galley vs the 400T! And the 34 T has a great flybridge as well! But the master berth looked smaller (less wide) than the 400T. Is that correct?

I agree w comments re single 34 salon is fairly quiet (I recently took some dB readings if you are interested).
ER access is great w single...port side engine accessed via front of engine and lots of room once you get there.
I do have a few ER pics if interested.
Not much that needs maint on port side of gen but is accessible around rear of gen for water heater, mufflers. ..
You can easily get 2 people / side for engine work.

It is really nice to have ER access w/o having to move furniture or have an open hatch in salon. I can easily access ER while underway for a quick check...Racor drain...etc

I have been pleasantly surprised with amount of space in my 34T engine room (single w generator)...at 6'3" in can get around down there...but knee pads are mandatory!

I would like to be able to run at about 14 knots, hence thinking about twins.

My single will do 14-16 at WOT, but certainly not cruise there. Don't know about a twin.

But the master berth looked smaller (less wide) than the 400T. Is that correct?

I don't know if the 34T is smaller, but I personally feel the master berth size is the biggest drawback of the boat for our usage. A "full-size, rectangular queen berth" in on our must-have list for our next boat.

Back
Top Bottom