View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
Capt.Bill11
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
There are several things to think about.

Towing it is quite doable. Rig or buy a proper tow line and bridle.
https://www.ropeinc.com/cat-mighty-tow.html

After that consider how you really will be using the boat. You may find buying a smaller boat to tow is the way to go.

Then there is security. Yamahas are probably the most popular outboards to steal. So consider adding an alarm of some kind. As well as perhaps AIS to track it if you loose it while towing on even if someone steals it. I also put a light on my toes that automatically comes on when it gets dark to help keep track of it at night as I tow. And help find it if it breaks loose. The light can be as simple as a solar powered walk way light. Or something fancier like a true marine solar maker light.

Something else to consider is what you do if it's to rough to put someone in it when you arrive some where.

Two ways I use to solve that dilemma are, #1 to have a tube aboard the tow boat like you would use to tow a person/kid around on behind the boat you tow. You can inflate it, put someone in it wearing a PFD and drop them back to the tow in the tube from a line attached to the tow boat. That makes it easier and safer for them to get in the tow and then break it loose from the mothership. It also is fun to have to tow people around on from the towed boat later on.

#2 is to have an anchor ready that you can attach to the tow line bridle on the mothership. That way when you can get close to where you are going and you are hopefully in shallower water you can let the tow go and the tow will self anchor once you drop the bridle with the anchor attached overboard. Since your tow set up will be at least 100' to 150' long you can drop it in fairly deep water and it should hook up to the bottom sooner or later if not right away. Then after docking you can arrange to go back out and get the tow one way or another.

I've towed boats from 10' to 40' to places such as the Bahamas, down to the Caribbean and back as well as over to the Pacific coast of Costa Rica via the Panama Canal and back. With the right equipment and planning it can be done safely.

That said trying to save a tow is not worth getting someone hurt or killed for. So know your limits. And check your insurance policy for towing limitations or restrictions.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote