dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramoo View Post
Dave,
As I read this thread, you will be going north on the west side of Whidbey Is., It would be a much easier run to go on the east side up past Everett to LaConner, then to Mt Vernon. The water is much calmer and you will be protected all the way. Also when you enter Canada, you will already be on the Powell River side and wont have to cross the Straits .
Easier, but much longer as far as time goes. Normally, the weather is pretty calm at the end of July so the Straits shouldn't be bad. Georgia Strait could be more of a problem. If it looks like I have a clear weather window on the afternoon of the 23rd, I may cross Georgia Strait and spend the night on the East side, then go up to Powell River on the 24th. Often, winds build in the afternoon, so if it is windy in the afternoon of the 23rd, with accompanying uncomfortable seas, then I'll go to Nanaimo and shoot for an early morning crossing on the 24th.

Of course if the weather is too bad, then I can have the kids meet us a day later or meet us in Nanaimo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Personally, I'd pick up the kids in Steveston. No ferry to worry about. It's two days to travel from Steveston to Desolation. I do it every year. Night before in Point Roberts. Easy day to go to Steveston where you can clear customs. Two 52 mile runs to Desolation.
Yes, but the kids only have a week of vacation and I have two. So I want to meet them as far North as I can so they get more time. Plus, once we drop off the kids, we are then free to hit places on the way home, maybe including Princess Luisa.

The whole having to actually work for a living really gets in the way. I may be an educated professional in private practice but in many ways I am no different than a plumber. I only get paid when I work. The difference is that when I don't work, my overhead keeps on going anyway. My patients also don't like it when I am not available. I can take as much time off as I like, any time that I like... as long as I don't mind going broke.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote