Smaller Trawler names?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeniseO30

Boink! :eek:

I just had an epiphany :rolleyes:

I don't need 30+ feet.

The question is, what search parameters do I use to find smaller trawlers?

Thank you all!

Albin 25/27, Prairie 29, Cape Dory 28 to name a few...
Do a yachtworld search using <30 ft to find more..

MY CD 28 has been up and down the East Coast a few times. May be at the high end of your budget though.... Albins can be had in the teens, Prairie's in the 20's, CD's 30++...

20160618_132344-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! There are a good number of Albins out there sale but I'm nowhere near ready to buy

Smaller trawler names

Wifey B: Bob Jan :hide:

Ok, I'd head to yachtworld and do an advanced search with length as a criteria. Great way to get a feel for what is out there in the world. :)

Denise, don't search by brand, search with your preferred parameters and pay close attention to the "orphan" boats. In about 3500 surveys I have been impressed by only four boats and they were all homebuilt orphans ! Of course I've seen a not more ugly orphans but don't overlook an un-branded boat as they will often sell for substantially less than a "name" even though they can be much better boats.

Hi BoatPoker! small world LOL Got it.. but no wooden boat for this dream. much as I love and know about them.. not for me on the sea :)

orphan brands.... like?

Hi BoatPoker! small world LOL Got it.. but no wooden boat for this dream. much as I love and know about them.. not for me on the sea :)

orphan brands.... like?

No wooden boats for me either but the orphans I am referring to are like the one in my avatar, epoxy/glass and of the four boats I mentioned,two were steel and two were aluminum. the point of "orphans" is that there is no brand.
They may have been factory one-offs where the builder disappeared overnight (like mine) or homebuilt.

"Trawler" is mostly hull profile "the look" in a smaller boat.

AS far more small boats are built as non trawlers , you should take a look and see that the rest of the world enjoys.

Most boats at trawler speeds will give near trawler fuel bills.

"Trawler" is mostly hull profile "the look" in a smaller boat.

AS far more small boats are built as non trawlers , you should take a look and see that the rest of the world enjoys.

Most boats at trawler speeds will give near trawler fuel bills.

Most other boats do not have hull design like trawlers and...:whistling:. sailboats: which are displacement hulls,. Most other boats have gas engines are not likely to have living aboard friendly layout and equipment. I had a 30ft sailboat only thing it did not have was AC!

Most other boats do not have hull design like trawlers and...:whistling:. sailboats: which are displacement hulls,.

Won't matter much. Drive a boat like a "trawler" and fuel bills will come close. Not perfect, but not bad. There's another recent thread on fuel, and you'll see our consumption figures at slow speeds aren't overwhelming. And our hull design is definitely not full displacement and relatively large horsepower.

-Chris

There will certainly be a lot of 30', gas driven, inboard/outboard, mass production cruisers (clorox bottle) types to weed through by not limiting your search parameters to trawlers, but you are also more likely to find some niche boats that fit you needs. Filtering by fuel type of diesel will help (although there are some lovers/apologists of gas engines here and they are not without merit) weed out most of them.
Sellers of boats that may fit the pocket trawler mold may struggle with classifying or describing the boats and the ads get skipped over.
Sharing your goals on here is a great way to cast your net as we have met other cuisers traveling in a wide variety of vessels with great success that you wouldn't initially think of. For example a member bought a Tiara (planning express style boat) that had been repowered with small diesels, I doubt it planes anymore and has less value in its original market but it meets the new owners needs which made it a bargain.

I'm not limiting myself , I belong to a yacht club and all up and down the river here, there are hundreds of twin engine gas fueled boats just sitting year after year. a friend has a 32ft Carver he can't even give it away it seems, but 3, 30 ft sailboats are also sitting becoming "project" boats. It is a buyer's market but there is allot of junk out there!

Sifting through the junk is part of the pastime otherwise you'd have hired a buyers broker to do it for you. Nothing wrong with it as most of us enjoy a good scavenger hunt. Welcome to the club.

Take a look at the Nimble Nomad Trawler. Its 25' and has accommodations for 2 for shorter stays. Not currently made but can be found for reasonable prices if you look. There is a Facebook page for them and a good place to start.
About 132 of them were made so they are out there.

Most other boats do not have hull design like trawlers and...:whistling:. sailboats: which are displacement hulls,. Most other boats have gas engines are not likely to have living aboard friendly layout and equipment. I had a 30ft sailboat only thing it did not have was AC!

Because there is no real one type of trawler, there is no hull design that fits all. They range from round bottom dispacement to hard chine planing hulls.

Whether gas or diesel, when you get down into the 30 foot crowd, not sure engine type is going to determine as much as just what the boat really is and primarily designed to do.

For sheer interior volume of living space, a sportfish or convertible design is hard to beat for the money. Mt last liveaboard was a sportfish and that is one reason I went with that design.

But for pure inshore living aboard, there are many designs not considered trawlers by many that have at least as much if not more useable living space and are probably gas powered.

Carvers, Silvertons, Luhrs, Tollycrafts, Rinkers, etc....are examples and some make less than "traditional" looking boats with tons of interior room for their length.

Sounds to me like Denise knows what she is looking for ... small displacement trawler style with single diesel. I`m guessing you guys are wasting your time trying to talk her into something she`s not interested in.

Sounds to me like Denise knows what she is looking for ... small displacement trawler style with single diesel. I`m guessing you guys are wasting your time trying to talk her into something she`s not interested in.
I don't care what she buys, just disagreeing with a post that isn't in line with my experiences.

More than one person has changed their minds here on what might suit their needs.

It's all good! I like lobstah boats too! and schooners, and love ALL wooden boats!

I just know I don't want twin gas engines. One thing about older boats.. many have been re-powered. I do like those Albins..

OK - so here it goes. At the beginning of this year I purchased a 1978 36' Albin double cabin from someone advertising online and not on YachtWorld. I paid under $25000 for my boat - and I was looking for a long time. We wanted an older boat because we like the look, and also have a large home (and other hobbies) that take resources to keep up, so getting back into boating had to be a reasonable venture for us. We don't mind hard work and elbow grease either.

Our boat was mechanically sound and everything worked perfectly from the mechanical standpoint. Having worked closely with a surveyor from a boat we didn't purchase, I knew what to look for and inspect - which I did before buying this boat. Don't gasp - I didn't have mine surveyed. It was in the water, everything worked and ran as expected and I had both eyes open. On top of this, I have two file cabinets of prior owner paperwork and receipts, manuals, booklets, you name it, so I had access to more information than most people when I bought it. I also have funds in reserve for worse case scenarios like a repower if needed.

Yes the teak was a mess. Stripping and refinishing is a pain yes, but well applied Cetol does look nice. The decks are going to get redone. In the mean time, we are enjoying the boat, taking it out with friends, and our family. Our marina owner said that our boat is the most used boat there, so it get used a lot. My youngest son and his wife are both capable with the boat also take it out themselves and enjoy it. This isn't my retirement boat, but it does provide a lot of fun.

Sitting on the flybridge watching the sun set with the Admiral at the end of the day makes it all worth it.

I said all of that to say this - if you look hard enough there are boats to be had out there that meet your needs at the right price. It may take a lot of work, but set your expectations up front so you aren't disappointed.

mike

It took us a while to find our dream boat but they are out there.
Our Maple Bay 27 has plenty of room for two and tons of storage. The only difference we found while looking at similar styles at 30-34 ft was more outside back deck area. The interior space was about the same. There are a few cosmetic changes I want to make but
that is all she needs...the p.o. started asking 62k, we bought her as winter approached for 32k.

I don't care what she buys, just disagreeing with a post that isn't in line with my experiences.

More than one person has changed their minds here on what might suit their needs.

I agree. I definitely changed my mind after getting good information here on TF and am so very glad I did. In other words, I knew what I wanted but found that I didn't want what I knew.

If I only wanted to get opinion that matched my own preconceptions, I'd just watch FOX news. ;)

LOL

We started out living and traveling on a 25' sailboat, sold that and bought a 36' trawler. Lived and traveled on that for 4 years. Sold that and have bought a Wellcraft 2900 Express Cruiser. Hope we like it.

Vashon , Willard , Outer Reef 26 .

Great purchase stories!

They certainly do run the gamut. From the time I told my broker what I wanted, to the time he took to find the boat locally, survey, settlement, Into my home slip took less than 30 days. I found the right boat right out of the gate, bought it for a fair price and have been enjoying it since.

Those that take years to decide, look at dozens of boats, spend thousands on surveys etc. are missing a lot of good boating time. Most of us here are not getting any younger. To quote an overused phrase, "just do it"..

R2, Oh I really do know, anther friend got a 32 Carver for under 9k!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom