Repowering a large boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Interesting video documentary on repowering a 53' Hatteras. Older video but still interesting if you haven't seen it before. Get the popcorn out, it's about 40 minutes total. :popcorn:

I watched the whooooole thing. I would never have guessed that there would be so much involved with changing engines.

I can only imagine what that process cost. It started in winter and ended in summer. Definitely not an overnight job.

Great video. It gives a good appreciation of what is involved in a re-power job.

I've recently finished my re-powering job. Much smaller single engine but it still involves so many tasks in small spaces. My son & I did the lot, other than operating the forklift.

Take note of one very important step if you are re-powering. Prefitting. The model engine they use for working out engine position and angle can save a lot of heartache. I built several out of scrap wood, allowing me to "trial fit" several models of engine before buying. Well worth the time.

I'm familiar with this boat.
She's own'd by Scott Gregory the owner of the yard. He purchased the boat about 5years earlier at a very favorable price using his words. This made the investment a little easier. It was a winter project that would definitely have been cost prohibitive for a normal owner. They did do a remarkable job on her.

Some engines can be rebuilt in place. The DD 71 modles can. The cost is 2 to 3 grand per cylinder. Another reason why we bought the Eagle. However the engine has 1453 hours so it's just getting broke in. Maybe in another 20+ years. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom