Dogs onboard in the Whitsundays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeagleBoy

Vessel Name
Viking
Vessel Make
Nova 48 Cockpit Motor Yacht
My forum search results are showing negative results. So if this has been discussed please forgive me as I simply couldn't find it.
Has anyone cruised the Whitsundays with a dog onboard? I accept that the area is full of Marine Reserves and most islands are part of the National Park system.
Am I correct in assuming that I can have a dog onboard whilst cruising through the Marine Reserves? As long as it doesn't get in the water?
Are there any islands in the region that are not part of the National Park system so we can take the dog ashore for a run every few days?
We are heading up there for a couple of months and the dog is part of the normal crew on trips.
If you have done it, or you know of websites to help then many thanks in advance.

Hi we have just left the Whitsundays with After 5 weeks there with our staffy Jaffa the adventure dog. Not many places you can legally take a dog ashore but we managed with the grass mat out the back plus marina visits. Some good anchorages in the mainland plus Brampton are ok too.

So go ahead, take your dog, ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1467852294.357142.jpgmany do and ignore the stupid rules with impunity.

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address

It`s illegal to take a dog ashore in National Parks on Broken Bay/Hawkesbury/Pittwater, but the many agitated dogs with crossed legs ferried ashore on a dinghy/kayak/paddleboard supports Hickers Qld. advice.

Well, after many trips on several different boats, out 16 year old poodle has finally figured out what the square of artificial turf is for in the cockpit - just makes life easy for everyone, especially me as I was the "nature calls" dinghy driver - especially as her age occasionally meant a 2.00am trip to the beach.

So.............."You can`t teach and old dog new tricks"......BUSTED!

What gets me is all the sites talk of dogs, none mention cats, goldfish, parrots etc.
I guess my cat will be fine on the beach.

Thank you members. Our dog is a boat dog and will quite comfortably relieve herself on the deck, so no issue there. It is more a query about giving her a run every few days to stretch.
I fully understand the reasons of the prohibition in National Parks and I am ok with compliance.
Out of 90 islands up there I didn't realize they were all National Parks. I thought I might be able to anchor up on one, or some, every few days just to give her a stretch.
I note that Hamilton and Hayman are not listed as National Parks. Are they privately owned or Government owned?
The marina there appears to allow dogs for boats on the marina, but I am looking for a bit of beach.
I should add that the QLD Govt brochures are very light on with helpful dog information!

I think they are vague on purpose! I can't understand why leashed dogs can't be allowed on selected beaches, it's ok to camp but not let your dog have a run. We are lucky Jaffa loves just going in the tender. Montes at Gloucster is great for dogs.

Back
Top Bottom