Screwed by Big Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xsbank

Guru
Vessel Name
Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Make
Custom Aluminum 52
Just went to buy my annual pail of engine oil for my Cummin's annual treat and the b******s have changed the 20 litre/5 US gallon pail to 18.9 litres! Same price, of course, but with a filter I use 20 litres. A single litre is about double the price in a pail but worst of all the waste oil won't fit in the stupid smaller pails!

Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!

XS - How many liters per gallon do you calculate? 20 quarts = about 18.x liters.

I don't know what you got last time but 18.9 liters is 5 gallons (US). 20 liters is 21,2 quarts or 5.3 gallons. If you spill a liter in the bilge, the 19 left should fit in the pail nicely.

Last edited:
:facepalm:.............:whistling:

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 2.png
    2.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 75
XS: When did you last buy a bucket of oil? I have had that problem for years.

Some things you live through. Some things you live down. This one could take a while. :popcorn:

Ted

My last bucket was in the spring, nice 20 litre pails, I made the huge assumption that it was equal to 20 US but obviously I never actually ran the numbers. I guess I will just go and buy one. And one litre.

Must have something to do with Brexit.

One reason I thank my Algebra teacher, my gasoline jerry can is in liters, I buy gas in Imperial gallons and the outboard oil I add is measured in ounces.

:rofl:"Cipher Jethro Cipher" sez proud Pa. I guess I better mention that was from the Beverly Hillbillies. Most of ya'all are so young so as not to know...right?:rofl:

Xsbank; said:
...worst of all the waste oil won't fit in the stupid smaller pails!
Are the pails really smaller though or are they just doing like the coffee and Cheezies; same container, less product?

My favorite was when crude went way up, lube oil went up proportionately. Even though only a fraction of the retail cost of the lube is from the crude stock. It should not have risen near that much. If 25% of your product's input triples in cost, should you triple the cost of your product? Yessireebob, says the MBa's.

Oh and then crude prices go back down. Should lube prices go back down too? Oh Nooooo, can't do that says the MBa's.

MBa's should be routinely beaten.

I agree...I want in line

BTW as often as not those MBA's are employed by the National Chamber of Commerce. Companies do not come up with pay plans, pricing and so forth often using the same bullet points and lingo all at the same time in even unrelated industries by magic. The NCC is so often the common threat. Just a little not so well known factoid.

Shell, Imperial, Chevron and all the hangers-on like Mastercraft all changed their barrels at the same time. Cartel, anyone?

So they just standardized around a 5 gallon pail here in Norte America if I am to believe the OP's history. Makes sense they'd do that than to produce different pails. Me I jus rounded up and bought the extra pail, which at least on my boat was usable in the trannies as well as the mains.

Hydraulic oil and atf etc are all in 20 litre pails...for now.

Back
Top Bottom