Do you know what this is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russ Borman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Athena
Vessel Make
41 Roughwater
I think the previous owner used it for mooring. its big, no manufacture name on it. I suspect its not for marine use, maybe climbing gear I don't know. would like to get some load spec's.
image (1).jpeg

It's called a rebar hook and it belongs on the end of a fall arresting lanyard.

Thanks I thought it had something to do with climbing or in this case falling and had on business on a boat

I use these on my boat to hold the support chains on my swim grid. They are stainless, not polished (although very smooth) and load rated. Made in Germany and way cheaper from a climbing store than padeyes in a marine store.

For rock climbing.

Just because it wasn't stamped "marine" on it doesnt mean its not useful. That hook you show us locks and is intended to support a human. Might be very good as a crane hook. Or for clipping onto a mooring buoy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 226
There should be a load rating stamped on the side. I can't read it in the picture. That would dictate the limits of its use. I wouldn't be mooring a 41 ft vessel on the webbing attached to that device. How long is the webbing attached to it?

It may have been used as a safety tether to clip into a jack line. Mine is made of aluminum but has a similar double action latching mechanism that prevents it from accidentally snagging something.

Webbing attached is like 40ft and is stamped 2500lb

Back
Top Bottom